Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond  (Read 14350 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 23:32 »

Happy! Happy! Happy!

How wonderful to see that Bula and Diamond now have a precious bundle of three chicks. ♥ ♥ ♥

The last one hatched at 2:00 pm - Orange, NSW time.

I wish them well.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 23:29 »

Thank you RCF.

The chicks are just adorable. :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 18:02 »
There are two hatches here now!  :)

Link to Diamond feeding the two chicks.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=371732#p371732

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 17:53 »
Wonderful news for Bula & Diamond!  :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 14:21 »

Yes! A very cute looking active little chick arrived at 4:35 am. I'm so happy for Bula and Diamond. :D

Note - Australia recently moved ahead 1 hour, so this site is now 16 hours ahead of Wpg time.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 03:13 »

I'm hoping an egg will hatch here overnight. It's currently 7:13 pm in Australia. :)

Here's the latest update from Scott Banks:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/index.php/abc-camera-crew-visits-falconcam-project/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02 »

Eggs should begin to hatch here very soon! (Currently it's Sunday morning in New South Wales.) :)

Here's the latest update from Cilla Kinross:

"By my calculations, the eggs should start hatching any time now, with the most likely day this Monday (a public holiday in Australia).

I’ve noticed that Diamond is getting quite restless, sometimes stopping to look with bemusement at the eggs as if to say ‘isn’t it time you came out??’    There has also been more interaction between our (assumed) newly weds and a bit more food bringing recently.

I can’t come in tomorrow as I have a site to prepare for tree-planting later this week, but will come in on Monday to see how things are shaping up.

ABC Canberra is coming up to Orange on Tuesday to do some interviews and grab some videos, so our birds will be doing some major preening in readiness for their stardom (actually probably/hopefully busy with little ones)."

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 16:55 »

Your reply to my question was very helpful TPC. :)

I appreciate all of your thoughts regarding banding in Australia, along with the information you included for USA and Canada.

This is all very interesting, and there’s still much to learn.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27 »
A few years ago I recall peregrine falcons that were banded at Anglesea and Melbourne (though those sites are in Victoria), and Charles Sturt University is in NSW. Does anyone know of any peregrine chicks ringed in New South Wales?  TPC? 

I'm afraid I don't have any information about banded birds in Australia or banding birds in Australia.  As for the ethics committee - that is an animal welfare committee of the University which as the birds nest on their grounds and perhaps because Cilla works for the university and is proposing the banding as part of a long-term, university project, that is why she can't get permission.

My question would be who issues the permits and what are their criteria for banding the birds?  Here it is the federal govts of Canada and the USA that issue banding permits and you have to give them a) an acceptable (to them) reason to band the birds you want to band, b) proof that you can band the birds, c) describe how you will acquire the birds and that is the only way you acquire them other than if they are injured or retrieved some other way, d) you have to go through ethics permissions if you wish to do anything extra - like neck bands or wing discs or transmitters or taking blood, etc (which can be turned down) and e) you have to renew your permit each year.  It may be that peregrines in Australia were never a species-at-risk as they were here (can't say that for sure) and as a result, there isn't the history of recovery projects like we had here from which our tradition of banding any peregrine we can get our mitts on continues.  That may be why Cilla has to apply for it as part of a research project (as opposed to on-going monitoring here) through the University.  (please note that I say "may be")

Just speculation on my part though as I've never spoken with Cilla about this particular obstacle ...   :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 22:25 »
I’ve found a bit of info on the CSU site regarding banding.

These are quotes from Cilla:

Nov 17/14 - (within update called Monday pm) “I tried to get permission initially for banding (= ringing) the chicks, but this was knocked back by our animal ethics’ committee. However, I could try again next year as I’ve kept up my banding licence and the composition of the committee has since changed.”

Dec 12/14 - (within update called Beau preparing scrape) “And I would still like to get permission to band (= ring).”

May 8/15 - (within update called A changing of the guard) “I do hope we don’t have siblings mating (another good reason for banding….).”

It appears that Cilla is willing and able to band, but for some reason the deciding animal ethics committee chose not to grant permission. Maybe this is a confidential issue within the university, or could it be that NSW finds it unethical to band peregrines? ???

A few years ago I recall peregrine falcons that were banded at Anglesea and Melbourne (though those sites are in Victoria), and Charles Sturt University is in NSW. Does anyone know of any peregrine chicks ringed in New South Wales?  TPC?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 17:37 »
Yes burdi, it is too bad that none of the adult PF's or any of the past chicks have been banded. In my communications about this with Cilla over the years, she has let me know that she has been hoping to be granted a banding certificate or licence. But she has not been granted one to date. It sounds to be somewhat of a political issue, for some reason. :-\

Thank you for the information Kinderchick, but I’m  thinking your communication with Cilla must have been quite some time ago. I recall reading that she has her banding licence.

Perhaps change will eventually come to allow banding here.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 17:02 »

You’re welcome gemcitygemini. I really like the ledge cam that allows us to see the birds as they come and go - besides being a very pretty view. :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 04:18 »
Thanks burdi for sharing, both the info and the link.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 22:32 »
Yes burdi, it is too bad that none of the adult PF's or any of the past chicks have been banded. In my communications about this with Cilla over the years, she has let me know that she has been hoping to be granted a banding certificate or licence. But she has not been granted one to date. It sounds to be somewhat of a political issue, for some reason. :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 22:35 by Kinderchick »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 18:36 »

Sorry I left out some important points from my post above at 04:38.

I do know that the feather could have been stuck to the egg with something other than leakage, and that is why I said  “I’d prefer that my thoughts were wrong as whatever dampness allowed the feather to adhere could have come from various sources.” However I didn’t elaborate, and definitely failed to mention that Diamond could have been clumsy with the egg because she was able to detect it was damaged (possibly due to being lightweight). Actually, that was my immediate thought when reading the updates I mentioned from Cilla, so thank you for expanding on that TPC. :)

I do not know whether or not this is the first clutch for Diamond or Bula, and neither does the CSU site - since both are unbanded. This makes it very difficult to identity Beau, Bula, Swift, and Diamond - in my opinion at least. In fact, I’m still not totally convinced of who’s really who on this particular site. It’s also unfortunate the offspring from CSU do not have bands either.