Author Topic: Osprey - Montana / Hellgate (Stanley & Iris)  (Read 2597 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Osprey - Montana / Hellgate (Stanley & Iris)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 18:09 »
I have been watching this cam. They are/were days before the eggs are/were to hatch. Yesterday there was a horrific hailstorm and one egg for sure was damaged. I am posting the link for the storm as well as the link for the cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFyG_y7hnI&feature=youtu.be

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/27/Hellgate_Ospreys/
While watching the cam, Iris was moving shells around. Not sure if it was the 2nd egg until they posted this message.

06/03 Sadly the remaining egg has not survived. Iris has removed the embryo.  :'(

In the video Stanley and Iris were both looking up at the sky while the hail came down; this gave me the feeling they were frightened and trying to understand what was happening … oh, how sorry I felt for them. When the worst was over Stanley left for a while, and then returned with a big stick to repair their nest. They tried their best …  :'(

Lots of pics and information on the link you provided, so I read all the way back to when the wind and hail suddenly occurred. Today they said “The cam will stay up, so we’ll have a unique opportunity to see how Stan & Iris respond to the vagaries of nature.”

Thank you for keeping us up to date here gcg.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06 »
While watching the cam, Iris was moving shells around. Not sure if it was the 2nd egg until they posted this message.

06/03 Sadly the remaining egg has not survived. Iris has removed the embryo.  :'(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 20:22 »
Still sitting on the remaining egg, so there's still hope!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 20:13 »
These two are such a sweet couple.  That's such sad news :'(

Sad for us only though.  They'll just carry on with their lives, the way our Princess and Smiley have!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 16:37 »
The latest is the second damaged egg did not survive and Iris has removed the embryo. The third egg is showing cracking and it does not appear there will be hatchlings at this nest. So sad.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16 »
Not just osprey's ... Alley and Annie both only hatched out one egg and while Alley is older she usually has pretty good nest numbers and Annie and Miracle are not that old so one is a big surprise for them.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 07:15 »
Checked on FB and saw this update.

Sad update re: Stanley and Iris' nest Montana Osprey Cams: "Good morning, Yesterday evening we had several thunder and hail storms come through Missoula. Sadly, two of the eggs were damaged in the storms. One egg did not survive and the embryo was removed by Iris. The second egg is cracked but still remains in the nest with the undamaged egg. If you do not feel comfortable watching the camera during this time please check this page for updates. Erick and Jamie" ...What's going on with all the unfortunate osprey nest happenings lately? :(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 19:49 »
Oh no!  I sure hope the one egg is okay and we see a chick in this nest this year.  I love watching this family.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Osprey - Montana / Hellgate (Stanley & Iris)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 14:34 »
I have been watching this cam. They are/were days before the eggs are/were to hatch. Yesterday there was a horrific hailstorm and one egg for sure was damaged. I am posting the link for the storm as well as the link for the cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFyG_y7hnI&feature=youtu.be

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/27/Hellgate_Ospreys/