Author Topic: Fundraising  (Read 1110 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Fundraising
« on: June 18, 2015, 18:16 »
RCF posted about people being allowed to witness a banding and maybe Winnipeg could do the same.
This is a great idea and I commented that perhaps this could be done with a fee involved.

Here's another idea.

We all know that Dennis and Tracy check the nest sites on a fairly regular basis.
How about we bid to accompany them on one or more of these forays?

The money would go to the project, some of us would have the thrill of a lifetime, and the interest and participation in the forum would expand.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Fundraising
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:29 »
If we could find a site where we could take the public with us, it might be a possibility - at the moment however, all the locations we go to check the birds are restricted, one by our choice, the rest by the property managers.  The liability concerns for the property managers, the Project and the government are huge if something happened.

But if in the future we had, or could find, a site where it would be safe enough to get folks near enough to make it worthwhile, that might be something to explore how it might be done ... something to think on for sure.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:37 »

For example, in Brandon, we band the chicks about 100 feet away from their nestbox.  We retrieve them by ladder from their nestbox which is attached 20 feet up a wall, take them just inside the building so their parents aren't more agitated watching us handle their chicks and the chicks are more agitated responding to their parents' distress.  We band them which takes on average about 20 minutes for 4 chicks and we return them to the roof.  A public banding event would double or triple the time because as there are no working elevators in the building now, we would need to carry them downstairs and then to another venue because access to the building is restricted while waiting for renovations to begin.  So off to another venue, then we'd start the banding, let everyone look and take pictures and all the rest that goes along with any public event.  Then pack them up, back to McKenzie Seeds, back up 7 flights of stairs, then back up another flight to the roof for the release.

And just curious as to why use Brandon as an example. I realize it's not an ideal location to retrieve the chicks and band them but easier than the east nest ledge at the Radisson. In 2013 you banded the West Winnipeg chicks out in an open area where anybody could have come and watched. There are photos that Dennis took when you banded them at a picnic table beside a parking lot.  What kind of regulations are there if a group of people just happened to show up, would they have been told to leave. Anyone can sit at those those tables. I was there in 2013 taking photos of Beau and Jules when they nested in that area. It's not like people don't know the location. Just saying!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:38 by RCF »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 13:37 »
And just curious as to why use Brandon as an example. I realize it's not an ideal location to retrieve the chicks and band them but easier than the east nest ledge at the Radisson. In 2013 you banded the West Winnipeg chicks out in an open area where anybody could have come and watched. There are photos that Dennis took when you banded them at a picnic table beside a parking lot.  What kind of regulations are there if a group of people just happened to show up, would they have been told to leave. Anyone can sit at those those tables. I was there in 2013 taking photos of Beau and Jules when they nested in that area. It's not like people don't know the location. Just saying!!

As I mentioned in the Grand Forks thread, the Brandon example was just because it is on my mind, we will likely be banding the Brandon kids first this year.

As for 2013 West Winnipeg banding - that was the first year we were trying to move chicks from one location to another and we were concerned that the parents wouldn't follow so we got permission to be a bit slower than usual in order to make sure the parents did know exactly where their lone kid was.  So we banded him outside before moving to the roof so the parents wouldn't lose sight/sound of him for more than a few minutes.  Fortunately it worked and when we did it again, they had no problem finding their transplanted kids.

As for people knowing where the location is - we have agreed to property management's request not to publicize this site because not all tenants are entirely on-board with the peregrines have a nestbox on the roof.  We have lost one nest because of tenant concerns, we don't want to lose another.  Hopefully we are winning folks over so we may be able to be more relaxed in the future.