Author Topic: What did they do before buildings?  (Read 8733 times)

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
Re: What did they do before buildings?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 13:06 »
 Thanks so much for the BC info and links, Peregrine Chick!   :)
 I can't wait to learn more about what's in my own backyard, so to speak!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29 »
BC has its own subspecies - the Peale's Peregrine Falcon - Falco peregrinus pealei.  I've attached a link to some information about them.  They are smaller, darker and only slightly migratory ..

info from CWS:  http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=60

Had them pre-WW2, still has them now.  Not a large population but a species of "special concern" according to SARA.

http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species/speciesDetails_e.cfm?sid=54

Hope this gets you started Enraptured!

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:53 »
Were there any Peregrines in BC prior to WWII and DDT? Does anyone know if there are any nesting in BC now?

Peggeratheart

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:05 »
Cool!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 21:55 »
I love easy questions at almost 10 pm Pegger - thank you!! 

The answer is that they didn't nest here, they nested where there were cliffs in the wild.  Manitoba does have some cliffs in the northern part of the province but for whatever reason we don't know of any peregrines that nest there, though it seems unlikely that there isn't at least one pair!!  But what we define as a cliff is not necessarily what they classify as a suitable cliff-face.  By 1970, there was only one know pair of nesting peregines in Canada east of the Rocky Mountains and south of the Northwest Territories and that was on the banks of the Bow River in southern Alberta.  In that case the banks were high enough that they were deemed suitable for nesting.  And one of the first urban nesting peregrines was the "Sun Life Falcon" in Montreal in the in 37, before DDT was in use after the Second World War and decades before peregrine population crashed.  She lived and raised 21 young on the 20th floor ledge for 16 years.  She was very visible, very aggressive and very famous.

Peggeratheart

What did they do before buildings?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 18:33 »
I was wondering, where did Peregrines nest on the prairies before we built the tall concrete cliffs (buildings)?