Author Topic: California Condor - California / Big Sur (Kingpin & Redwood Queen)  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
The condor chick whose parents are Kingpin and Redwood Queen fledged successfully on November 20, 2015.

She has been named Princess (very appropriate, I think) and she has a green wing tag with the number 99.

I hope she will always fly safely and have a long and successful life.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: California Condor - California / Big Sur (Kingpin & Redwood Queen)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 17:19 »
I am glad to see that you have added the link to the condor cam, TPC. I have been following the cams since the site first came online in October of 2013.

I am looking forward to seeing the new nest cam.

Kingpin is the flock leader. He has a red wing tag with the number 67. His mate, Redwood Queen, has a red wing tag with the number 90. Kingpin was born in 1997 at the Los Angeles Zoo. Redwood Queen was born there in 1998.

When she was first released to the wild, she spent most of her time on the slope close to the release pens. This earned her the nickname "Slope Slug". She was pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order. She was harassed by the other birds, and had to wait until they had eaten before she could even approach the feeding station.

Later on, her life changed. She caught the eye of Kingpin, and she became his mate. This gave her extremely high status in the flock, which apparently she really enjoys. She was given the more fitting name of Redwood Queen.

She and Kingpin have raised three chicks in the wild so far, including one this year. Another of their chicks, Kodama, born in 2012, was recently seen with another member of this flock feeding along the coast at Point Lobos.

Thank you so much for sharing all this information regarding the condors, Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I am glad to see that you have added the link to the condor cam, TPC. I have been following the cams since the site first came online in October of 2013.

I am looking forward to seeing the new nest cam.

Kingpin is the flock leader. He has a red wing tag with the number 67. His mate, Redwood Queen, has a red wing tag with the number 90. Kingpin was born in 1997 at the Los Angeles Zoo. Redwood Queen was born there in 1998.

When she was first released to the wild, she spent most of her time on the slope close to the release pens. This earned her the nickname "Slope Slug". She was pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order. She was harassed by the other birds, and had to wait until they had eaten before she could even approach the feeding station.

Later on, her life changed. She caught the eye of Kingpin, and she became his mate. This gave her extremely high status in the flock, which apparently she really enjoys. She was given the more fitting name of Redwood Queen.

She and Kingpin have raised three chicks in the wild so far, including one this year. Another of their chicks, Kodama, born in 2012, was recently seen with another member of this flock feeding along the coast at Point Lobos.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Big Sur California Condor Cam
VWS Condor Release Site, Big Sur, California

webcam link - http://www.ventanaws.org/condor_cam/

Thank you for this Condor cam link as well as the associated info you posted under Raptor Cams, TPC. This is all very interesting and a wonderful opportunity for us to watch and learn more about these magnificent birds!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
California Condor - California / Big Sur (Kingpin & Redwood Queen)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:32 »
Big Sur California Condor Cam
VWS Condor Release Site, Big Sur, California

webcam link - http://www.ventanaws.org/condor_cam/

The Condor Cam, sponsored by FedEx, is the first camera to capture live streaming video of endangered free-flying condors. In conjunction with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Ventana Wildlife Society has been releasing condors on the central Coast in Big Sur since 1997 and currently monitors a flock of 60+ condors in collaboration with the National Parks Service (Pinnacles National Park). A majority of condor conservation work takes place in very remote, wild backcountry areas. For the first time ever, the Condor Cam will give viewers the opportunity to be there with Condor Biologists and see what they observe on the frontlines of. The Condor Cam project was initiated in 2012 by Ventana Wildlife Society, Oakland Zoo, and Camzone.