Author Topic: MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2016-22  (Read 20032 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2022 / Newman & Zooey
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2022, 07:46 »
The eyases have ravenous appetites. Newman has proven to be a great provider of prey and Zooey still has to learn how to feed her chicks in bits and pieces.  ;D

Some females never get the size right, their aim improves but not their portion sizes!  Princess had a good eye for that - so much so that when they first hatched it as to even seen the pieces they were so small - their little crops filled up so you knew there was something but otherwise!we did have a female or maybe even a male (I can see it in my head just not who it was) who used to be so shocked that that he could feed the chicks ... I think it may have been Smiley  and he was around for a number of years ... I wonder if really hungry chicks make a parent try to feed faster and therefore their portion control is a little haphazard ... like dancing faster when the beat of the music increases .... Smiley's kids were always hungry - he was a bit haphazard in his duties as a "provider".... hmmm, something to think about there maybe ... 🙂

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2022, 07:28 »
3 of the eggs have hatched. Unfortunately, the 4th not viable. The eyases have ravenous appetites. Newman has proven to be a great provider of prey and Zooey still has to learn how to feed her chicks in bits and pieces.  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 07:39 »
As of this morning, there are 2 hatches, including the damaged egg. Zooey has matured over the last year and is proving to be a great mother.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2022, 09:28 »
32-25 days from penultimate egg is the statistically norm for hatching ... and today is day 34 so things could definitely get interesting here today.

Was just watching her and she was doing some housekeeping & sliding off the eggs so hard to know if the kids are making noise inside the eggs yet, would have thought they might be, but maybe not quite yet.  Certainly you can tell when Princess' kids were starting to "talk", she was hard to shift, hard to keep off and she kept looking down as though listening very hard.

Nice to have chicks hatch here - so long as the bees/wasps/whatever bugger off ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2022, 04:59 »
Just a day before estimated hatch, Zooey has had to battle bees while incubating her 4 eggs. Apparently she was so aggravated, she began to swat at the bees and now one appears to be "crushed". It is quiet for now, but the bees will likely become restless at daylight.

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 05:02 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 14:11 »
1st 🥚 Apr 3
2nd 🥚 Apr 5
3rd 🥚 Apr 7
4th 🥚 Apr 9

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2022, 07:22 »
Zooey & Newman have Egg#4!  April 9th at approximately 8:00 P.M. CDT

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2022, 12:10 »
At approximately 10:50 CDT... three eggs!!!!!  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2022, 07:09 »
The 2nd egg of the season was laid by Zooey about an hour ago. When I looked again, Newman was seen announcing (loudly) the arrival of the egg.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2022, 07:04 »
Adults
Adult male is Newman, an unbanded male,
Adult female is Zooey, an unbanded 3 y/o female.

Egg Laying
Egg #1: Zooey laid her first egg on April 3, 2021 @ 12:31 AM

Egg Hatching
In 2021, Zooey’s first egg hatched on May 31 @ 12:30 PM

Peregrine falcon Zooey was a first time mother. While she seemed to understand the importance of feeding her young, she didn’t understand how to do it. The first two hatchlings died on June 2nd. The third survived and fledged successfully.

Banding: June 19, 2021
Chance | F | 1947-50644 | P/46

Fledging
July 19, 2021 @ 8:23 AM CDT

https://www.explore.org/livecams/falcons/falcon-nest-cam
The first egg for this couple was laid early this morning.  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2022, 13:22 »
https://www.explore.org/livecams/falcons/falcon-nest-cam
The first egg for this couple was laid early this morning.  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2022, 10:33 »

Last year’s adults were Newman, an unbanded male, and Zooey, an unbanded 2 y/o female.

Newman courted several females this year, but ended up nesting with Zooey. Former resident female Nova disappeared after her battle with Nina on March 9.

Egg Laying
In 2021, Zooey laid her first egg on April 16, 2021 @ 3:36 PM

Egg Hatching
In 2021, Zooey’s first egg hatched on May 31 @ 12:30 PM

Peregrine falcon Zooey was a first time mother. While she seemed to understand the importance of feeding her young, she didn’t understand how to do it. The first two hatchlings died on June 2nd. The third survived and fledged successfully.

Banding: June 19, 2021
Chance | F | 1947-50644 | P/46

Fledging
July 19, 2021 @ 8:23 AM CDT

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2022 / Newman & Zooey
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2022, 16:50 »

Welcome to 2022 at Great Spirit Bluff

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2021 / Newman & Zooey
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2021, 21:54 »
At long last, at 8:24 A.M. CDT the wait is over. Chance fledged.  ;D

Right on schedule 😉 ... would have been nice if she had shared her schedule with her legion of fans!
Congrats Chance!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2021, 08:32 »
At long last, at 8:24 A.M. CDT the wait is over. Chance fledged.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2021, 10:42 »
TPC I'm confused by Chance and her refusal to fledge. She hatched on May 31st. Newman and Zooey are doing their best to encourage her to take flight.  ::)

https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/falcon-nest-cam

If she hatched May 31st she is 48 days old which isn't overly long for a female chick.  If it were 58 days I'd be more concerned ...

In the old days we used to say the norm for fledging was 35-40 days for males, 40-45 days for females. Over the last very many years we know that this is just a general average.

We have small chicks and have males and females fledge regularly between 35-38 days.

We have had solo chicks that fledge as soon as they can which is very often way before they "should".

And we have some who take longer because they are literally bigger, or won't leave their siblings or just don't want to fly yet.  We had chicks stay past 50 days - as I recall, Vesper who got grounded after fledge on time from the nestledge stayed in the nest box and on the ledge after we returned her until day 55 or thereabouts - so another two weeks. 

The Radisson chicks this year fledged together at 41-42 days of age ... neither is particularly large but they didn't show any real interest (maybe because of the heat?) and then were unwilling to fledge without the other. They haven't had any problems so waiting suited them.

If she were one of our birds I would just sit back and keep any eye on her. Her parents may be willing to tolerate/indulge her for the moment, but they will eventually go to tough love.

Do keep us in the loop on Chance ... she'll eventually chance it 😉

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2021, 09:22 »
TPC I'm confused by Chance and her refusal to fledge. She hatched on May 31st. Newman and Zooey are doing their best to encourage her to take flight.  ::)

https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/falcon-nest-cam

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2021, 08:51 »
Couple more weeks and Chance will likely be too big and feisty for GHOWs to risk coming up against her if they want to stay unscathed.

As a solo, likely her parents are a bit more attentive (she's likely more demanding than if she had siblings). It is also likely that she won't wait at all once she thinks she's old enough to fledge. Solos don't like being on their own ....

Will be interesting to see what happens .... good luck Chance!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2021, 09:27 »
The lone chick, known as Chance was banded yesterday and is a female. I hope this chick will grow to fledge successfully. Last year, the 2 chicks were taken by GHO's.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2021, 09:24 »
Have not been on this site in awhile. I know that only 2 eggs hatched and 1 died. The surviving chick has grown to the present gangly stage. I can only hope it lives to fledge. Last year, the 2 chicks were taken from the nest by GHO's.  :(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2021, 11:35 »
At long last, the 1st of the 3 eggs has hatched and Zooey is snacking on the shell. It is doubtful the 1st egg, laid April 16th is viable since she never began incubating until the 2nd was laid on April 26th followed by a 3rd shortly thereafter. Hopefully there will not be a repeat of last year when the chicks were snatched by a GHO.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2021, 10:05 »
Hmmm interesting case ... I think I would be inclined to think that egg 1 is from an earlier liaison. I have found that most of our new pairings take longer to court in the spring than our already established pairs when they first return.  We did have something similar a few years ago when we had eggs in the west side nest box as eggs were being laid on the east side ledge at the Radisson.

RCF captured Zooey laying the first egg : April 16, 2021, 15:45 and posted.
The 2nd egg was laid April 27th, followed soon after by a 3rd. she (mainly) and Newman share incubation duties.
I still question if the 1st is viable since neither of them remained in the nest until the 2nd arrived. But........ ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2021, 09:00 »
Hmmm interesting case ... I think I would be inclined to think that egg 1 is from an earlier liaison. I have found that most of our new pairings take longer to court in the spring than our already established pairs when they first return.  We did have something similar a few years ago when we had eggs in the west side nest box as eggs were being laid on the east side ledge at the Radisson.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2021, 08:08 »
The resident male Newman arrived early as usual. There were an abundance of females, including Nova, the resident female who later had a territorial fight with Nina.  Prior to the fight Newman "got busy".
Juvie - 02/25
Nova - 02/25
66/N - 02/27

Lisa 53/W - 03/04
Amhran 92/X - 03/05
Nina M/04 - 03/07
Following the territorial fight, both Nina and Nova vanished and UB7 showed up. Newman was enchanted, now named Zooey and she is now the resident female.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2021, 17:50 »
1st and 2nd eggs were laid 11 days apart. And now a 3rd egg this morning.  ;D Since there was virtually no incubation after the 1st, I thought this nest would not be successful this season. And now???? Zooey began incubating in earnest after the 2nd egg was laid. She appears to be following her instincts now.  ;D

Was there a change over in mates here? Or a fight? or??  Do we know when these two were first seen together?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2021, 09:54 »
1st and 2nd eggs were laid 11 days apart. And now a 3rd egg this morning.  ;D Since there was virtually no incubation after the 1st, I thought this nest would not be successful this season. And now???? Zooey began incubating in earnest after the 2nd egg was laid. She appears to be following her instincts now.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2021, 17:25 »
TPC Is is possible for a 2nd egg to be laid 11 days after the 1st?  ??? And I seriously doubt the 1st is viable. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

There are actually two questions here ... which of 2 eggs laid 11 days apart might be viable?  Good question.  The eggs are sort of inert (if you will) until incubation start though they do need to be kept at a minimum warmth/coolth (ya, know that isn't a word, but you get my meaning) before incubation begins.  It can take up to a week between the first and last egg in a nest and incubation usually starts 5-6 days after egg 1.  Will be interesting to see what happens here ... going to rely on someone to report on what does happen  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2021, 08:19 »
TPC Is is possible for a 2nd egg to be laid 11 days after the 1st?  ??? And I seriously doubt the 1st is viable. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2021, 04:46 »
Just when it looked as though there was no hope for a 2nd egg, sometime last night Zooey laid an egg. A video (in comments) shows her laying the egg. I'm shocked. There are now 2 eggs and Zooey is incubating. I'm happy to say..."I was wrong!"

https://explore.org/livecams/falcons/peregrine-falcon-cam

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2021, 04:59 »
I seriously doubt there will be another egg and this lone egg is not viable. The lone egg was laid a week ago. It it were viable, I think Zooey would be incubating consistently but sadly, she is not. At times Newman is incubating more than she, but even he does not stay long. 

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2021, 10:24 »
Hoping for another egg today. Zooey arrived and repositioned the egg before she hovered as if testing her brood patch. She has spent much of the morning in the nest box.  ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2021, 15:53 »
Zooey just laid an egg!

I just looked and could see it was imminent. Had almost given up hope that this would be a "wait until next year" due to her young age. Great capture RCF. Thanks for posting!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2021, 15:45 »
Zooey just laid an egg!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49 »
As time goes by, it is becoming increasingly evident there may be no eggs due to Zooey's young age. Not as if they haven't been trying.  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2021, 18:05 »
I really need to learn how to take a screen shot.  ???

I can show you sometime ... for the moment, happy to help out.

This is a photo shown in comments about 4 hours ago. Disturbing to say the least. I, for one, have never seen a mess like this following a meal. TPC?

Couple of times - sometimes it can be as a result of a bird mantling over their prey and their breast comes in contact with fresh blood OR it can be where they are eating such that "dinner" is big or on an angle or something so that the bird has to reach over thereby dragging their feathers through the blood.  That much mess ... not too often though.

Talons look like that bird is recreating the life and crimes of Jack the Ripper!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2021, 14:40 »

I really need to learn how to take a screen shot.  ???
This is a photo shown in comments about 4 hours ago. Disturbing to say the least. I, for one, have never seen a mess like this following a meal. TPC?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 13:24 »
No eggs as yet, but the unbanded female has been given a name by the Raptor Resource Project. As seen in the comments under the live cam is the following....
"We have selected a name for UBF (Zooey - New Girl - Life) knowing that she is a young female and we are sure hoping that she will be productive giving new falcon life to the skies above the mighty Mississippi! She has checked out almost every spot to perch, copulate, and most important work on the scrape in anticipation of eggs".
Which location for eggs is undecided. She was seen in the nest box today making a scrape, but continues to frequent the lower ledge as well. Time will tell.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2021, 15:10 »
A weather advisory is in effect for Minnesota, including this site. Snow is getting heavier and collecting in the nest box. In the wide view, you cannot see the Mississippi river.

https://youtu.be/xYInTHcdkWc

https://youtu.be/_eggY8kTTLI
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 15:22 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2021, 08:10 »
Newman was seen making a scrape at approximately 7:30 A.M. CDT  Could we soon see eggs?  ::)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:12 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2021, 07:06 »
Comments on the GSB link seems to believe that the unbanded female, referred to as UB7 may be Newman's mate this season. Nova hasn't been seen for days. Newman and UB7 were observed mating again this morning. Stay tuned!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2021, 10:40 »
The following was posted on the RRP site

"On March 9 at about 6:37am central time, GSB watchers witnessed a peregrine falcon territorial battle. Resident female Nova came back after a three-day absence and drove interloper Nina away. After ousting Nina, Nova copulated with Newman and disappeared again.

Are the falcons okay?
Neither falcon appeared to have been seriously injured in the fight. We zoomed in on Nova’s eyes – our primary concern – and they appeared to be fine. Either Nina or Nova could come back to Great Spirit Bluff, try to claim a different nest (the La Crosse US Bank nest box is the closest, at five miles away), or skip breeding entirely. Right now, raptor migration is in full swing. But all the activity should ebb within the next two weeks as everyone settles down. We believe that the falcons will eventually lay eggs, although the turmoil could push GSB’s schedule back.

Why didn’t Newman defend either falcon? Is this unusual?
Female falcons [falcons] are about a third bigger than males [tiercels]. It would be very risky for a male to take on a larger female, especially at close quarters, so males usually fight males and females usually fight females.

It is not unusual for falcons to fight over territory, especially in the spring. But it is a little unusual for Nova to disappear. Usually a female peregrine shows up a little after the male, accepts her mate’s courtship, and chases other female falcons away almost as soon as they appear. But Nova disappeared between March 6th and March 9th, came back to fight Nina over the territory, and vanished again after copulating with Newman. Perhaps she is considering another nesting site or distracted by all of the activity around her. We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks."
One the live cam site, there are comments about an unbanded female going through plumage changes in and around the nest and also Nova on the ledge where she prefers to frequent. Time will tell. I will refer to this drama to what RCF said..As the Bluff Turns.  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2021, 11:41 »
 :o This was difficult to watch. We can only hope for the return of Nova. After losing the chicks last year to the owls, I would love to see a successful season at this site.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2021, 18:44 »
There was a fight in the box this morning between the resident female "Nova" and the female Nina M/04. Nina got the brunt of it.  Like they say " As the bluff turns."

For those who would like a bit more detail, nice video (for a territorial battle in a nestbox) and information from the RRP.
https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/03/10/march-9-2021-territorial-battle-at-great-spirit-bluff/

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2021, 12:36 »
There was a fight in the box this morning between the resident female "Nova" and the female Nina M/04. Nina got the brunt of it.  Like they say " As the bluff turns."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2021, 15:38 »
For those on Facebook, Raptor Resource Project is there.

https://www.facebook.com/RaptorResourceProject

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2021, 15:31 »
UPDATE from today

"As The Bluff Turns  ;)
March 8
Newman appears to be courting Nina
1 pm  Newman's been feeding her all day!
Who will lay the (first) egg ?

2 pm  both were inside box and SUDDENLY both flew out, feathers flying
One was kakking - who / what'd they chase?
That was pretty funny!

Here is his lady love

Female Nina M/04 - 2019 Milwaukee Biosci
https://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewforum.php?f=494"

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2021, 15:30 »
Sounds like Hart last year ... without busybody Ella's interference.
Hope Newman has better luck with one of his lady friends.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2021, 15:28 »
2021 NESTING SEASON

I thought I would share an update on this site. Newman, the male has been busy "courting" what has been called a harem. The cam is live. Here is what I can share of the females from the Forum   https://raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2716.0

Peregrine Falcon Cam - https://www.explore.org/livecams/birds/falcon-nest-cam
Newman (male) a 6 females, including Nova from last year
Juvie - 02/25
Nova - 02/25
66/N - 02/27

Lisa 53/W - 03/04
Amhran 92/X - 03/05
Nina M/04 - 03/07

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2021 / Newman & Zooey
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2021, 15:20 »
Cliff Nestbox
Great Spirit Bluff, Minnesota

Webcam Link - https://explore.org/livecams/falcons/falcon-nest-cam

Raptor Resource Project Blog - https://www.raptorresource.org/category/gsb-falcons/

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2020 / Newman & Nova
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2020, 17:50 »
Sometime in the last 24 hours, the GHO returned and took the surviving chick, Elise. On the Raptor Resource Project forum it shows screenshots of the encounter. It is a sad time at the Great Spirit Bluff site.  :'( :'( :'(
https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2634.930

It is very sad!  :(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2020, 16:11 »
Sometime in the last 24 hours, the GHO returned and took the surviving chick, Elise. On the Raptor Resource Project forum it shows screenshots of the encounter. It is a sad time at the Great Spirit Bluff site.  :'( :'( :'(
https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2634.930

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2020, 13:19 »
 :'( Sad news to share about this site. There were 2 hatches. 1 male and 1 female. They were banded a week ago. Last night, a GHO flew into the box and took the male, Floyd. Nova made an attempt to fight for him, but sadly, the GHO left with Floyd. The female, named Elise was spared, at least for now. The following was shared on their forum.

"June 6
An owl took Floyd
I cant believe how FAST it happened!
Owl approached on our LEFT, 2 kids asleep front left, Nova inside with them.
Nova sees owl jumps up, owl snatch n grab and is gone
Nova had one talon up like a kick boxer!
Nova got her talon caught in poor Elise"

"From Raptor Resource:
June 6, 2020
We are sorry to announce that falcon Floyd was killed by a Great Horned Owl last night. While GHO predation of peregrine falcons is well-documented, we are always sad to lose a falcon we know. We do not have a way to drive the owls away - the territory is huge, we aren't sure where their nest is, and it would be illegal to disrupt them - but we are working on ways to introduce an inaccessible-to-owls hidey-hole or space that nestlings can safely sleep and shelter in."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2020, 11:58 »
Nova appears to be getting antsy. Estimated hatch is May 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_gCsKu2k4&feature=emb_logo

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2020, 11:28 »
Incubation continues at this site. This is the timeline of the 4 eggs.

"Egg Laying
Egg #1: March 26 @ 8:19 AM CDT
Egg #2: March 28 @ 3:16 PM CDT
Egg #3: March 31 @ 1:15 AM CDT
Egg #4: April 3 @ 7:10 PM CDT
One of the eggs was broken during a territorial defense response on April 13.
First hatch estimated for Sunday, May 3
Egg Hatching"

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 07:39 »
Apparently Nova laid egg #4 on Fri. April 3rd. As mentioned on their forum, there has been a GHO lurking.

https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2634.msg667894#new

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 07:18 »
There are now 3 eggs at this site. Nova is close by in view of both cams. Hopefully there will be another egg in the day(s) to come and incubation aka "watching paint dry" will commence.  ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 09:40 »

It has been confirmed by RRP on March 28th at 3.30 P.M. there are now 2 eggs! ;D Nova is proving to be a diligent mother. There has been a GHO seen near the nest box.  :o

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 11:24 »
This site has declared that Michelle is unlikely to return. Newman is again/still the resident male who had been canoodling with an unnamed female they were calling New Lady. The RRP has named her Nova. This morning, Nova laid her 1st egg.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2020, 15:15 »
I, for one, have a question pertaining to the state of the nestbox. There are still remnants of the debris left behind after the chick or chicks died from invasion of blackflies. Would this be one reason why NewLady will not go into the box? TPC? RCF?

Cleanliness isn't always a turn-off for these birds I'm afraid.  And Newman does have a part to play in where they choose to nest.  If he doesn't like making scrapes in messy nestboxes, he might be just as inclined/more inclined to make scrapes for her to choose from elsewhere.  Or maybe he just makes better scrapes elsewhere because of the mess.  Depending on how old NewLady is, it may just take awhile for her to figure out what is going on and what she should be looking for. 

And just a note about "natural habitat", I'd like to say that given a choice peregrines would choose a cliff over a building, but they don't, not even ones who were hatched on cliffs.  And to vice versa.  It may be that birds that hatch in nestboxes recognize nestboxes faster than cliff hatched birds, but can't even say that for sure.  Last year of our 6 nesting pairs, only 2 used nestboxes and all of the little terrors were hatched from nestboxes. 

All I can say is ... peregrines be peregrines

::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 10:33 »
Newman is again the resident male. Michelle has yet to return, but for her, it is soon to come.
Newman continues to canoodle with an unbanded female the Forum has named NewLady. Unlike Michelle who nested in the box, "NewLady prefers the cliff ledge or her cubbyhole, not the box.
She spends her time cliffside, the natural habitat of falcons.
That cubbyhole would NOT be a good place to raise babies."
Those on the Forum are saying it is unlikely Michelle will return. She is 15.
I, for one, have a question pertaining to the state of the nestbox. There are still remnants of the debris left behind after the chick or chicks died from invasion of blackflies. Would this be one reason why NewLady will not go into the box? TPC? RCF?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2020, 13:34 »
GSB has a forum link in case anyone wishes to get up to date information on this and other sites.

https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 09:22 »
Newman is again the resident male. Michelle has yet to return, but for her, it is soon to come.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2020 / Newman & Nova
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 09:45 »
2020 NESTING SEASON

It would appear that this may be yet another early season for this site. There are 2 cams and 2 falcons seen every time I look at this link.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2019 /Newman & ?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 04:36 »
2019 NESTING SEASON

An unbanded  falcon has been seen numerous time here. On the forum, there are many photos and comments and it seems most likely that the resident male, Newman has arrived. He is beautiful.  I, personally love this site. The scenery is amazing. ;D

The Great Spirit Bluff peregrine falcons nest on a bluff located near La Crescent, MN, overlooking Lock and Dam #7 on the Mississippi River. The peregrines are not present year-round. In general, they return in late February to early March, begin courtship between early and Mid-March, and lay eggs between late March and mid-April. Hatch should begin in early to mid-May, fledge generally occurs 38-40 days after that, and young disperse in late August or mid-September. The adults stay on territory until late fall. While the male and female leave at roughly the same time, they are not believed to migrate together.

Forum link:  https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=865.4350   

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Minnesota / Great Spirit Bluff - 2018 / Newman & Michelle
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29 »
Newman and Michelle now have 3 eggs. There is a post on Raptor Resource Project's Facebook page showing 17 amazing photos. I do not knw how to post the photos here, but perhaps you are able to do it for me Alison.  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2018, 19:45 »
Michelle laid her second egg at 6:26 p.m. today.

Immediately before she laid the egg, and immediately thereafter:

Only seconds after Michelle laid the egg, Newman arrived with a meal for her. He realized very quickly that this was not the right time, and left in a flurry of wings.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 17:04 »
Michelle is busy doing what female falcons do at this time of year. Have been unable to find a blog that from the site, or commenters posts. Should be 1 or 2 for sure.  ???

Michelle laid her first egg at 8:09 a.m. on March 30. Her second egg should be due today. At the moment, she is taking a nap in the nest.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 13:45 »
Michelle is busy doing what female falcons do at this time of year. Have been unable to find a blog that from the site, or commenters posts. Should be 1 or 2 for sure.  ???

Update! I see 1 for sure.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2018, 13:40 »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 13:42 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41 »
I forgot to say there are 2 cams operating at this nestsite. One shows an aerial view and the other is a close view of the nest.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 11:43 »
Both residents are back at this site and confirmed that it is Newman ad Michelle. ;D

"Male is Newman, an unbanded falcon, confirmed by field marks on February 27.
Female is Michelle P/87, confirmed by band number on March 4th. She is a 2005 hatch from Maassen’s bluff in Nelson, WI.
Female 89/(unknown) visited the box on February 28, but vanished before Michelle arrived."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Minnesota / Great Spirit Bluff - 2018 / Newman & Michelle
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 14:42 »
2018 NESTING SEASON

A new season and the 1st arrival has been seen many times. Can our residents be far behind?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Minnesota / Great Spirit Bluff - 2017 / Newman & Michelle
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 15:58 »
I forgot to mention that the 2 chicks were given their names by a Hamilton (Broadway play) fan.  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 11:43 »
This is what is posted on Facebook.  :'(

Raptor Resource Project
June 3 at 7:39pm ·
"We are aware that Hamilton and Burr-D are out of the box at Great Spirit Bluff. The two falcons are around 28 days of age today and we have decided not to try to bring them back to the box. Michelle and Newman will find them and care for them until fledge, as we saw in 2013 and 2014. We will see if we can locate them with the camera, but we have no intention of going to the base of the cliff, which could drive them deeper into the tangle below. We are hopeful for both little falcons and will keep everyone posted.
We're getting questions on the box design and production at Great Spirit Bluff. Are the falcons falling because the perches are poorly designed? In short, no - but you can read more about the issue here: http://bit.ly/2qNSRsJ
John is thinking about ways to design the replacement box that will minimize problems with black flies. We are about 40% of the way through our banding season and it looks like black flies and weather plagued impacted many of our wilder sites this year. We'll talk about that later this week."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 10:46 »
It appears that the jumper has once again jumped (fallen) from this nest on June 3rd. After seeing a FB post, I watched a video of the fall. Once from a distance and also a close up. After watching, I went to the site and from the chats, the remaining chick has also fallen. So much has happened at this amazing site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUErODSKfo

On the link to the site, they are showing the banding.    :'(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 09:22 »
A video link to an interview with George Howe, the man who rescued the (jumper) chick.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XSHv79hso

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 17:59 »
Sure pulled a lot of fluff off the little one while rescuing.  I guess was trying to get a good hold to drag it back in.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 20:32 »
Wow!  Amazing!!  Thanks for sharing, GCG.

It's so comical to watch her try to sit on him after she rescues him!   ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 15:16 »
Another Facebook post AND video of the action prior to banding yesterday. Amazing!

"Yesterday we witnessed some “Great Performances” and that seems to be an understatement reflecting on the amazing rescue jobs of Michelle pulling her two young back into the nest box (https://youtu.be/dL-sAa9pqd8). We have not witnessed this on camera before, but many peregrine falcon eyrie choices are small spaces of only a couple square feet and that obviously has led to raptor parenting skills being honed when it comes to curious and exploring young. The team effort to rescue and band drew on years of experience in falconry reintroduction and monitoring techniques taught and shared by our founder Bob Anderson who, in that sense, was with us yesterday from developing a plan, to execution.
The RRP falcon team includes the multiple talents of Amy Ries and Dave Kester who both did amazing work preparing and implementing a plan. Amy managed the inspection, banding and treatment of the two young males (Hamilton and Burr-D) and Dave’s experience handling falcons confirmed good options for nest box and falcon treatment. We now fondly refer to Amy as “Dr. Quinn…medicine woman” and we can only hope that this wave of insect pests at the nest box has been managed long enough for our young falcons to fledge more leisurely. We are learning that in the real world, many falcon young don’t have a textbook fledge as we would like to imagine.
Thanks to our many volunteers and helpers – they include dedicated landowners like George Howe who twice now has joined the RRP search and rescue team to scale the treacherous talus slope below the bluff to retrieve prematurely fledged falcons. His recovery of Burr-D and story of transporting him back up in a Teletubby pillowcase is amazing and allowed us to seemingly pull off a “magic act” of pulling one falcon out of the box and replacing it with two! I’m very proud of the RRP team and appreciative of your kind words, encouragement, and support of our work."
John
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 15:19 by GCG »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 10:37 »
My sincere thanks RCF for the link. Next time I will know to copy and paste the link. TPC, I follow this nest site mainly on Facebook because the individual posts are not informative. Lots of chit chat between the watchers.

Makes perfect sense GCG! 

The reason I asked about Facebook or not is that with Facebook, some sites you need to be a facebooker yourself in order to access - RCF's link is exactly the way to post the link for that. (thx RCF)  If the link were to something else, you may well be able to link directly to the photo so long as the source/photo credit is included with the photo.

If you come across something like that, pm me and I can walk you through that ...

Thanks for keeping us updated on this site - interesting goings-on there ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 07:53 »
My sincere thanks RCF for the link. Next time I will know to copy and paste the link. TPC, I follow this nest site mainly on Facebook because the individual posts are not informative. Lots of chit chat between the watchers.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 22:31 »
Great news from the GSB nest. The jumper has been rescued and both were banded.

"John Howe has repelled down Great Spirit Bluff and is now cleaning the nest box after retrieving the remaining eyas. George Howe, hero of the search and rescue team, found the little jumper and brought it back up the bluff. Two eyasses banded today. Both males, names are Hamilton and Burr-d. Great work by the whole team, Amy Ries, David Kester, George Howe, and John Howe." There were photos but I do not know how to post here.

Here is a link to the photos   https://www.facebook.com/RaptorResourceProject/posts/1358936637476285

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 17:46 »
There were photos but I do not know how to post here.

Are the photos on Facebook or another site? I can PM you with instructions once I know  :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 15:22 »
Great news from the GSB nest. The jumper has been rescued and both were banded.

"John Howe has repelled down Great Spirit Bluff and is now cleaning the nest box after retrieving the remaining eyas. George Howe, hero of the search and rescue team, found the little jumper and brought it back up the bluff. Two eyasses banded today. Both males, names are Hamilton and Burr-d. Great work by the whole team, Amy Ries, David Kester, George Howe, and John Howe." There were photos but I do not know how to post here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 15:24 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41 »
The banding scheduled for today has been delayed because one of the two remaining chicks is missing from the nest box. They following is from their Facebook timeline  :'(

http://www.ustream.tv/greatspiritblufffalcons

Great Spirit Bluff Peregrine Falcons
"As viewers have seen, of our two remaining eyasses at GSB, both have gone out of their nest box again this morning. One has fallen, and we suspect that the parents are trying to locate and care for it as we have seen in the past. The other eyass has escaped a couple of times also and in a remarkable display we have seen Michelle turn into super mom mode, pulling on the chick's wing and leg to pull it back in to safety.
RRP had planned for scheduled banding today and we have a few members of our team on site and others arriving as this is posted. We will keep you informed as more information is received, and would like you all to keep good thoughts for our climbing team and the young eyasses.
Raptor Resource Project is considering all options for the remaining eyases at Great Spirit Bluff now that one has jumped from the box. Our permits do not allow us to preemptively collect young birds from nests; as watchers know, birds face and overcome many dangers in their lives and we simply can't protect them from everything. We have located a potential foster box and are weighing treating the current box over attempting relocation, which comes with its own set of dangers and challenges. We will keep everyone posted. Thank you!"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:43 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14 »
This update was posted on their Facebook page.

"We went to Great Spirit Bluff on May 24 to retrieve the carcasses of two peregrine falcon nestlings that had perished during a black fly swarm. After John retrieved them and sprayed the box with a mixture of essential oils that to repel the flies, we conducted an examination and found:
1: No black flies or signs of black flies (red marks, stings, lesions, body parts) in the falcons’ mouths, nares, or nasal passages. The falcons’ nasal passages did not look swollen or irritated.
2: The falcons had red lesions or bite marks along the edges of their wings, around their eyes, in the skin just above and behind their ceres, and below their crops.
3: Although the falcons were starting to decompose, they appeared to be in good body shape otherwise. They were starting to feather out nicely and their wings, talons, and feet looked great.
The two most likely causes of death are either blocked airways or blood poisoning. In scenario one, black flies swarmed into the nestlings’ nares and mouth and blocked their airways. They suffocated, died, and cooled. Once they reached ambient temperature, the flies left.
In scenario two, the falcons died of blood poisoning. Lori Arent, a veterinarian and clinic manager at the University of Minnesota’s Raptor Center, told us that young raptors are especially susceptible to black fly infestations. A nestling raptor’s immune system is not robust enough to cope with blood parasites transmitted by black fly bites, and these falcons had many black fly bites. The relationship between black fly bites and nestling raptor death has been well-documented in several places. A paper titled “Rapid Nestling Mortality in Arctic Peregrine Falcons Due to the Biting Effects of Black Flies” documented rapid nestling mortality in Arctic peregrine falcons in 2012 and 2013. While their falcons suffered many more bites than ours, the description of the damage and the deaths were very similar.
We captured one black fly for identification. We did not want to disturb the two living falcons – it was cold and getting dark by the time we arrived to remove their siblings – but we will look them over for bites and swelling when we band them on Sunday. We kept one dead falcon and will take it to the University of Minnesota for autopsy."
   :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 14:26 »
Thankfully black flies are not an issue at our nests!!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 13:48 »
At this site, four eggs were laid by Michelle. All eggs/chicks hatched but sadly, two have succumbed to  airways clogged by insects. This was posted on their Facebook timeline.

Raptor Resource Project
May 23 at 7:49am ·
"We are aware of the two dead eyass falcons at Great Spirit Bluff and are planning a recovery tomorrow, weather permitting. We believe that insects may have clogged their airways, causing them to suffocate, but we can't know for sure unless we recover the carcasses. We will also try to capture some of the insects while we are down there. We've called them black flies and buffalo gnats, but black flies come in roughly 30 species in Minnesota and it would be helpful to know what we are dealing with."
Some information on black flies:
Perdue University: This page includes life cycle information and a broad discussion about black flies - https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publichea…/…/blackfly.html
University of Minnesota: Black flies in Minnesota - https://www.extension.umn.edu/gar…/insects/find/black-flies/
We've had black fly problems here in the past, although we've never seen this kind of problem this early in the year. For more on that, read this blog: https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/…/black-flies-and-falcons…

They have removed the two little ones and sprayed. As I watch the live cams, the remaining chicks are alone and grooming.  :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 08:17 »
Congratulations to Michelle and Newman on their first egg, laid during the night.

The egg this morning:

Video from the site:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/101487405

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 06:16 »
The 1st egg was evident this morning. Judging by her behavior yesterday, there was little doubt this would happen overnight at the latest.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20 »
The resident falcons have been confirmed as Michelle and Newman. The first arrival was Newman, followed by and unnamed female from St Louis, Mo. There was some canoodling which ended when Michelle arrived and chased St. Louis girl away. Michelle has reclaimed her man and her nest.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 15:04 »
TPC, I commented on their Facebook page and they responded.

I hope that means our resident falcons will also return early here in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada)
Like · Reply · 2 · 1 hr
Raptor Resource Project
Raptor Resource Project I'm wondering if this is one of ours or a migrant passing through! Perhaps you already know this, but one of the first Winnepeg falcons (Maud) was a daughter of MF-1. Although many more falcons have been produced there since, I like to think there is a tie between because of that.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2017 / Newman & ?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 13:53 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Reports from Raptor Resource Project on their Facebook page shows an early arrival of a falcon, believed to be the male Newman. Hope this is an indication that we too, will have early arrivals. I can only hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v8DbgaYlrc&feature=youtu.be

Live cam..........

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 14:04 by GCG »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2016 / Travis & Michelle
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 20:21 »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 16:15 »

You can still watch how they had to rappel down the cliff to retrieve chicks on "explore.org" cam, as it allows viewers to look back about 4 hours.  8)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 14:52 »

Chicks have been returned to nest; Michelle is on the perch. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 14:41 »

The new male here is "Newman".

Update below the Ustream cam:

Great Spirit Bluff falcons are back! We have a new HD nest box camera that has been working well. It is amazing the difference that HD technology makes. We thank A2Z Security Cameras for their help and support!

4/8/16: Michelle is paired with a new unbanded adult male falcon this year. The Howe family has nicknamed him Newman. That we know of, Travis did not return. Michelle is sitting on four eggs right now. We anticipate hatch to begin around May 3rd.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 14:31 »
Banding four chicks here today. Parents are very upset!

You can watch them live on the cliff right now:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/great-spirit-bluff-falcons
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 14:44 by burdi »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 10:09 »
OMG! This video is amazing. An up close and personal hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJAp-anycI&feature=youtu.be

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17 »
Two hatches this morning at this nest, both within 3 hours. The view of this nest is incredible. Awaiting #'s 3 and 4.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 15:32 »
This incredible nest now has 4 eggs.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2exvlfq.png

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 14:13 »
Just had enough time to see two eggs before Mom resumed her duties.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 11:23 »
Oh that is priceless RCF - nice catch!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:43 »
Easter Egg

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 10:34 »
Thanks for this information, Alison. We can only hope Travis is fine.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 00:27 »
The resident female, Michelle (banded black/green P/87), returned to the nest, but up to this point, Travis (banded black/green 06/N) has not returned,

There is a male at the nest with Michelle, but it is not Travis. This male is unbanded.

I hope Travis is just a bit later in returning. He could have been delayed for many reasons. Travis will be thirteen years old this year, while Michelle will be eleven.

In the meantime, Michelle and the new male have been bonding.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 07:19 »
They are presently running a video of retrieval of 4 chicks for banding. Quite fascinating. Two people are rappelled down to the nestbox. A crate is also lowered and chicks brought up to be banded with children in attendance. I am intrigued by their ability to rappel down this sheer cliff.

http://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:31 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 17:00 »
A video from the forum. At 2 min 25 seconds, Michelle is seen. At 5 min 55 seconds, Travis flies in and there is copulation.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/84145647

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:47 »
There are now people posting on the GSB forum that the returnees are again Michelle and Travis and they are canoodling. ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:29 »
Update! I have checked their forum and saw a posted photo. Both are back and are "bonding".

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:26 »
 ;D ;D I am happy to report that as of this morning, I have seen up close and personal, a falcon sitting on the perch preening. I am going to love watching this cam.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:44 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MN / Great Spirit Bluff - 2016-22
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:58 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

I am certain this will be yet another interesting nest/cam to watch. Located on the side of a bluff in Minnesota above the Mississippi River. As I read, the falcons return late February, early March. Cam is live, of course after sitting through ad videos.

http://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/