Author Topic: State Capitol - 2016 / 19K & Alley  (Read 23940 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: State Capitol - 2016 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2016, 17:37 »
Guess who's back in Texas! Lewis, son of Alley and 19/K, has been spotted again at his winter home around the Anadarko Building in The Woodlands, Texas. Now four years old, he looks great!

Photo by Linda Kuhn.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2016, 17:15 »
Best news all week!!  ;D
Welcome home 19/K

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2016, 18:21 »
A nice article from 1011now.com on the release of 19/K:

Injured peregrine falcon returns to Lincoln after recovering from injury

LINCOLN, Neb. Monday was a very exciting day at the Nebraska State Capitol. Injured peregrine falcon 19/K was re-released into the wild after recovering from an injury.

Enthusiasts gathered on the Capitol lawn to welcome the falcon back to Lincoln.

He was carried up to the 18th floor of the Capitol and let go. After that, he successfully circled around the Capitol for several minutes before landing on a ledge on the 14th floor.

The male falcon has been staying at Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery since June. He was found on the ground in Lincoln on June 6 with a dislocated elbow.

He spent the last several months being treated by Raptor Recovery and recuperating at its facility near Elmwood, Nebraska.

“They can't tell us what happened to him, but our veterinarian was able to get the elbow back into place,” said Betsy Finch, Rehabilitation Manager at Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery. “A dislocation is a very serious injury so we were lucky that he was able to be repaired.”

His mate, Alley, has been living alone since his injury. Experts say they are hopeful the two will reunite without issues.

“Based on past experience, I think they will reunite,” said Finch. “This is what happened with the Omaha peregrines about three or four years ago. The female in this case was injured and they reunited after she was released.”

19/K and Alley first nested at the capitol in 2005. They've raised 23 young falcons over the last 12 years, including this year’s lone offspring, Dinan. 19/K and Alley are the only peregrine falcons that have successfully nested at the Capitol.

http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Injured-peregrine-falcon-released-in-Lincoln-after-recovering-from-injury-395722101.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2016, 17:29 »
Alley returned from wherever she had been. She and 19/K are now reunited, and have been flying together.

And Papa, it seems, is hunting already. He brought in his own lunch.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2016, 14:43 »
Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery has done a wonderful job of caring for Papa over the last four months. He looks in great condition.

I hope everything goes well for 19/K and Alley from now on.

Photos: Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2016, 14:37 »
Papa Soars Again!

Before he was taken up to the 18th floor to be released, 19/K was brought outside and taken out of his carrier so that the group of people assembled to watch, along with at least three television stations, could take a look at him close up. From the comments I heard on the live feed, he really impressed people with his beauty.

After a few minutes, he was taken up in the elevator to the 14th floor, and from there to the 18th floor, where he was released by Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery. He did not hesitate, and flew strongly around the Capitol several times before heading out of view. It was a beautiful moment to watch.

Papa did a little vocalizing when he was at ground level, but Alley did not appear to be in the vicinity.

Betsy Finch and Joel Jorgensen with 19/K:

19/K flying high above the Capitol:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2016, 17:54 »
The date and time have now been set for Papa's release. From Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery today:

Great news. 19/K will be released at the state capitol building on Monday at 10:30 a.m.!

Can't wait to see him back home with Alley!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2016, 18:28 »
From the Lincoln Journal Star

One of the state Capitol's longtime resident falcons has recovered from a dislocated elbow and could return to his nest as soon as Monday.

19/K, a 15-year-old peregrine falcon, was found injured near a grain elevator at 26th and Fair streets in Lincoln on June 6 and has been in rehab since at Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery in Elmwood.

The center moved him to bigger and bigger flight pens until he graduated to the largest about three weeks ago, said founder Betsy Finch.

"He's been flying really well, so we think he's ready to go."

She will coordinate with officials from the Capitol and Nebraska Game and Parks to arrange a time to release 19/K.

The falcon will join his longtime mate, Ally, whose most recent chick hatched in May.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/capitol-falcon-could-soon-return-home/article_6bd678a7-743d-5dd0-ac2a-bf0bdb327d8b.html?utm_content=buffer8fa2f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2016, 17:11 »
There is an article today in the Lincoln Journal Star (which I cannot access without a subscription). The few words I could see stated that Papa (19/K) could be released as early as Monday.

One of the state Capitol's longtime resident falcons has recovered from a dislocated elbow and could return to his nest as soon as Monday.

There has been nothing about this posted on the Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery Site so far.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2016, 22:08 »
A couple of days ago an unknown peregrine was in the vicinity of the nest box while Alley was on top of the box. Was this the Channel 10 bird? Dinan? Someone else?

Too far away, and too unclear, to be able to tell.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2016, 17:28 »
A wonderful update from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery this afternoon on the progress of 19/K:

Great news about the recovery of 19/K, the Lincoln capital building peregrine falcon that was injured earlier this year!

We'd also like to take this opportunity to notify everyone that we'll be winding down this Facebook page over the next few months. All Raptor Recovery updates will be posted on the main Fontenelle Forest page in the future. It will help us simplify our operations - one page is much easier to manage than two - and allow us to answer your messages and questions in an even more timely manner. We appreciate your support and are very excited about the future!

19/K has been moved to our largest flight pen and is doing very well! Watch as Betsy Finch, Manager of Raptor Rehabilitation, checks in on his progress as he flies from one end of the pen to the other.

19/K is one of the peregrine falcons that lives at the state capital building in Lincoln. He was found on the ground with a dislocated elbow earlier this year. The injury was repaired and he has been recovering at our rehabilitation center. Barring any setbacks, our Raptor Recovery staff is hopeful that he will be released in the near future.

If you'd like to make a donation in support of our care for 19/K and injured raptors throughout the state of Nebraska, follow this link and mention Raptor Recovery or 19/K in the comment box:

https://8913.blackbaudhosting.com/8913/Operating-Individual

It made my day to see Papa flying so well and landing perfectly in the largest flight enclosure. What a great place for him to complete his recovery!

Video at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/FFRaptorRecovery/posts/1422464714449460
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 22:42 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2016, 00:33 »
A peregrine showed up on the sky cam at Channel 10 news in Lincoln this evening. The bird appears to be unbanded.

I don't know whether she (?) is looking for a home, or is just passing through. Not a great time for a new bird in town, with Papa still in care and Alley on her own in Lincoln.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2016, 22:41 »
I believe it is likely that Dinan has now left home to begin his life as an independent peregrine. He spent the night of August 20-21 on a ledge below the nest box, and as far as I know that was the last time he was seen in the area around the Capitol.

If he has indeed moved on, I know that he is as well prepared as any young peregrine could possibly be. He has received the best and most comprehensive training from his Mom, Alley. She has taught him all the skills he will need for life on his own. Dinan seemed to love learning and flying with his Mom every day.

He has had the benefit of all her wisdom, knowledge and experience. I wish him a very long and successful life. May he fly safely always. I hope that in the future we will hear of him with a nest and family of his own.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2016, 16:17 »
There is an unofficial report that 19/K could be released within the next two weeks. Of course, that cannot yet be confirmed, but talons crossed that this could happen.

If so, he will probably be released within his home territory.

Thank you, Alison. Talons crossed!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2016, 11:29 »
There is an unofficial report that 19/K could be released within the next two weeks. Of course, that cannot yet be confirmed, but talons crossed that this could happen.

If so, he will probably be released within his home territory.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2016, 23:27 »
Not exactly an update on 19/K, but he is mentioned in this more general update from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery earlier today:

Two Red-tailed Hawks completed rehabilitation and were returned to freedom! A Burrowing Owl was also released this week! Sorry photos unavailable. We are quickly approaching fall migration! 19/K is flying stronger too! Be sure to find us in the NEBRASKA building at the Nebraska State Fair this weekend!

I hope Papa will continue to do well, and be able to return home to Alley fairly soon.

Their general update may not say a lot about 19/K, but it is very positive and good to hear! I hope he will be able to return home before another male decides to take up residence; of course, I know that he first needs to be strong enough.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2016, 22:14 »
Not exactly an update on 19/K, but he is mentioned in this more general update from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery earlier today:

Two Red-tailed Hawks completed rehabilitation and were returned to freedom! A Burrowing Owl was also released this week! Sorry photos unavailable. We are quickly approaching fall migration! 19/K is flying stronger too! Be sure to find us in the NEBRASKA building at the Nebraska State Fair this weekend!

I hope Papa will continue to do well, and be able to return home to Alley fairly soon.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2016, 18:24 »
Good news from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery this afternoon:

19/K is doing well and enjoying the larger flight pen that he was recently moved to. We are keeping a close eye as he continues through the recovery process.

It's good to see 19/K continuing to make progress, and in a larger flight enclosure.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2016, 00:03 »

Thank you for the update, RCF. I will keep hoping for 19/K! :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2016, 17:20 »
19/K is gaining strength. He will be moving to a larger flight enclosure next week! This will be the biggest test of his flight ability!

https://www.facebook.com/FFRaptorRecovery/photos/a.795056630523608.1073741831.642035405825732/1388393877856544/?type=3&permPage=1
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 17:21 by RCF »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2016, 21:03 »
There are no new updates yet on 19/K. I hope there will be one soon.

Meantime, his son Dinan is now hunting for himself. Alley continues to teach him all kinds of skills. She spends countless hours with him daily and has now taught him how to do mid-air prey transfers successfully. What a remarkable falcon she is, working tirelessly with Dinan and watching over him always.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2016, 18:59 »

I’m very happy to hear that 19/K is progressing so well! Thank you for all of the updates, Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2016, 16:25 »
Today's update on the progress of 19/K, from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery:

A quick 19/K (Lincoln capitol building peregrine falcon) update.. He has been upgraded to a larger flight pen this week. It's taller and longer (20 feet), and will allow him to continue to stretch his wings and get acclimated to flying again.

We estimate it will be about two to three weeks before he moves to the large flight complex (60 feet). Small steps, but so far so good!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2016, 15:20 »
Last night Lincoln was under a severe thunderstorm watch, with the potential for large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rain.

I had checked the cams to see if by chance Dinan had come home for the night, but no sign of him.

Lightning filled the sky and continued for hours. I hope that Dinan and Alley found a safe place to spend the night.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2016, 15:01 »
An update on 19/K as of four hours ago from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery. It is really good that they are allowing him to progress gradually in his recovery.

A quick 19/K update from our rehabilitation center.. He continues to do well and has been moved from an acclimation pen to a small flight pen. The acclimation pen is utilized to allow the bird time to get used to moving on its own again without too much space to move around in. Once the bird is acclimated, we move it to a small flight pen where we can begin to monitor its ability to fly.

We'll keep everyone updated on 19/K's status as he progresses through rehabilitation.

If you'd like to support our raptor rescue and rehabilitation efforts throughout the state of Nebraska and Western Iowa, please consider making a donation. Every dollar helps us feed and care for these amazing animals.

Please put Raptor Recovery or 19/K in the comments!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42 »
Dinan continues to fly like a champion. Alley has been teaching him all kinds of flight skills as she flies with him. What a great teacher she is.

There has been a drone seen near the nest on two occasions recently. These things are really dangerous to birds and there are more and more of them being seen near active nests.  >:(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2016, 19:21 »
I hope he will be around for a while, so that his Dad will be able to see him fly.

Oh I sure hope so, Alison. “Papa” will be very proud of Dinan for his flying ability and of Alley for watching over him so well.

Of course, we knew she could manage. :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2016, 17:53 »
I too hope for a complete recovery for 19/K (known to many people simply as "Papa").

Meantime, his son, Dinan, has been flying extremely well and has been making good landings. He has been all over the Capitol building, and has been exploring the surrounding area, watched over closely by his Mom, Alley. This morning he headed for a hotel, with Alley in hot pursuit.

Dinan has also flown back to the nest box, and a couple of nights ago, stayed there for the night.

There are some great people on the ground in Lincoln spending long hours watching out for him.

I hope he will be around for a while, so that his Dad will be able to see him fly.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2016, 17:23 »
Thank you for posting this news, Alison, and thank you to Fontenelle Forest’s Raptor Recovery. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for 19K. I often find myself very attached to some of the older resident birds, and this latest news has really made my day.

He's so handsome it's breathtaking!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2016, 16:39 »
Oh he's a handsome tiercel, I hope he recovers well and is able to soar the skies again.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 16:29 »
Today's update on 19/K from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery:

19/K, the injured state capitol peregrine falcon, is doing well. He is now spending some time in our flight training enclosure at the rehabilitation center. If he is able to show that he can fly after recovering from his injury, he will be released.

Keep your fingers crossed! Thank you for all of your concern and support.

19/K looks beautiful. Photo from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 22:37 »
Dinan has fledged! He took flight from the roof of the nest box this morning at 9:31 a.m.

It was a completely intentional fledge, confident, graceful and elegant. I don't know where he landed, but I know that he has been seen since then.

Fly safely always, Dinan!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 19:53 »
I agree, Alison. I too, am grateful he is being so well cared for.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2016, 00:18 »
Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery provided a short update on 19/K earlier today:

He is on strict cage rest for another week before he begins building his flight muscles up. He is eating well and showing improvement daily!

I fully realize that his recovery will take some time, but every bit of improvement is encouraging. I am glad that he is being so well cared for.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 00:13 »
The handsome chick has now received his name:

With more than a thousand total votes cast, the winning entry of our name-the-chick contest is “Dinan”. The name honors John J. Dinan, former Nongame Bird Program Manager at the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.  John was instrumental in initiating the Peregrine Falcon projects at the Nebraska Capitol and WoodmenLife Tower.  To illustrate this point, we went to the NEBRASKAland archives and found a few wonderful photos of John working on the Peregrine Falcon projects back in the day.

John Dinan passed away from cancer at age 51 in 2005, the first year a Peregrine Falcon fledged from the Capitol.  Before John died, he selected the name of the first peregrine Falcon chick that fledged, Pioneer.

Cheri Boardman of Weeping Water and Dina Barta of Lincoln both submitted the name Dinan and are the winners of the 2016 name the chick contest.   Each will receive a modest prize package and the fame and prestige that comes with winning our contest.  Congratulations to both of them!

Dinan, who is on the verge of fledging, is the 23rd Peregrine Falcon raised at the Capitol since 2005 by 19/K and Alley.  Looking back on all the successes over the years, which includes offspring from the Capitol raising their own falcon families in Omaha and Topeka, Kansas, and knowing we are in the latter stage of 19/K and Alley’s long reign, it is fitting to come full circle and recognize John Dinan for his contributions.

Thanks to everyone that participated in the naming contest.

I think this is a very suitable name for the young peregrine.

Joel Jorgensen's article also has some fascinating photos of the original nest box being installed in 2003 by John Dinan. That was 19/K's first year at the nest, with his first mate Angel, who was a sister of Princess from the same clutch. Angel was only a year old, and the eggs did not hatch.

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/and-the-falcons-name-is/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46 »
This article lists 19/K and Alley as the parents of Hunter, instead of the grandparents.

Looks like they have updated the story ...   ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 17:32 »
Another article on 19/K's continuing recovery:

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/peregrine-falcon-that-dislocated-an-elbow-two-weeks-ago-is/article_c9f93230-37f1-11e6-b384-efb4c78a738e.html

This article lists 19/K and Alley as the parents of Hunter, instead of the grandparents.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2016, 17:06 »
Also from The Lincoln Journal Star

Capitol falcon should fly free again

Capitol falcon 19/K probably won't return home in time to see his latest fledgling's first flight.

But the 15-year-old peregrine's dislocated elbow has healed, meaning he can start to stretch his wings and begin the slow progression toward freedom.

"He's doing well. His wing was unwrapped last night and it's a little bit stiff — as can be expected," Betsy Finch, founder of Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery in Elmwood, said Tuesday.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/wing-healed-capitol-s-falcon-father-might-soon-return-to/article_d7db2250-a6eb-56be-adec-20b1a847be82.html

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 17:08 by RCF »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2016, 13:14 »
We now have an update from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery on 19/K, and it is good news:

We have very good news about 19/K, the injured peregrine falcon from the state capitol building in Lincoln. His injured wing has healed and he will be evaluated to see if he can be released.

He went to the veterinarian last night to check on the injury - a dislocated elbow that was set and wrapped for two weeks, and everything is as it should be. We will now work on getting his strength back up so he might return to the wild in the near future.

Thank you to everyone for your concern for 19/K and the support for our Raptor Recovery team. Your support makes everything we do possible, from veterinary care to daily feedings.

Make a donation here:

Put 19/K or Raptor Recovery in the comments!

Photo of 19/K from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery. He looks great!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2016, 13:08 »
So long as there is nothing seriously wrong with H/57 at this time, you watch, in two or three years he will be back and nesting like a pro.  Somehow that is often the case - birds go down and end up being the survivors who return.

Yes, TPC, that is quite often true. I can think of one fledgling some years ago who was rescued eight times, and went on to be a successful adult.

At a different nest, the youngest of five chicks was found at banding to be so tiny that it was felt he would not survive to fledge. There was no webcam, and he was never seen at the nest again.

Two or three years later, he showed up at another nest as the resident male, with a mate of his own.

And these are only two examples.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2016, 21:16 »
The little mischievous one is back in his nest, trying to look innocent. He was up above the nest, and returned on his own. Calling for Mom, food or both in the second pic.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 21:32 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2016, 20:53 »
The chick is not in the nest! He was there this afternoon when I checked, and I saw Alley bring him food.

Wherever he went, I hope he is safe.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20 »
So long as there is nothing seriously wrong with H/57 at this time, you watch, in two or three years he will be back and nesting like a pro.  Somehow that is often the case - birds go down and end up being the survivors who return.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 21:31 »
Another update from Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery:

Both of our famous Peregrines are eating and resting comfortably! Both have appointments on Monday. I will have photos at that time. I will publish late Monday evening.

I would like to extend sincere gratitude for the amazing interest and generosity to all!

The second "famous peregrine" in their care is 19/K's grandson, H/57. He is the little male from the Woodmen nest, and he was found on the sidewalk after being missing for at least two  days. This was his second rescue, and he was taken into care at Fontenelle Forest's Raptlor Recovery for the second time.

Hoping for good results for both on Monday.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2016, 10:02 »
A short update on 19/K from Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery:

Thank you so much for everyone's interest in the plight of 19/K, a peregrine falcon from the state capitol building in Lincoln. He is doing well, resting and recovering from his ordeal. His wing will remain wrapped until June 20th. Once the wrap is removed, we'll be able to determine if the injury is healed or if more care is needed.

We are still very hopeful for a complete recovery!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2016, 23:32 »
Report says 19K has a dislocated elbow. Didn't know that PF's, or birds in general had elbows...

Yup they do -

Very interesting - they even have hands & fingers & thumbs & wrists! Who knew?! Well, of course, TPC knew! Thanks for posting this diagram, TPC.  8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2016, 12:08 »
So chances for release when healed is iffy?

No, I believe it isn't too bad actually - the elbow is high on the wing which is better and I think a dislocation is better (relatively speaking) than a break, but not positive about that one could be about the same.  He'll be there for awhile I suspect.  Dislocation needs to heal then he needs to rebuild his strength again.  And he'll be assessed for re-release as he hit milestones - and every bird heals at their own pace.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2016, 11:58 »
So chances for release when healed is iffy?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16 »
Report says 19K has a dislocated elbow. Didn't know that PF's, or birds in general had elbows. Here's hoping he'll make a speedy recovery.

Yup they do -

for a bigger image check out this Bird Anatomical Diagram

Injuries higher (closer to the body) are said to have better chances for recovery than injuries further down the wing.  I believe because of the amount of air pressure lower on the wing in flight.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 23:07 »
Report says 19K has a dislocated elbow. Didn't know that PF's, or birds in general had elbows. Here's hoping he'll make a speedy recovery.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 17:57 »
Here are a couple of screen shots of Alley protesting when they come for her chick.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 16:32 »
The Lincoln Journal Star also has an article on the banding.

Falcon family getting healthy, and, by the way, it's a boy

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 16:26 »
I think the injury to 19/K somewhat overshadowed the banding of the chick.

Joel Jorgensen's report on the banding:

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/capitol-banding-success/

And the link to the Name-the-Chick contest:

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/name-chick-contest-begins-submit/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 16:09 »
The Lincoln Journal Star has an article on 19/K.

Capitol's male peregrine falcon injured

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 15:53 »
I am so sorry that 19/K has been injured. I hope that he will make a full recovery and be able to return to his family. He is a great tiercel.

Many thanks to Animal Control Officer Nick Finelli, who found 19/K and made sure that he was taken to rehab to be cared for. Thanks also go to Amanda Kaufman for the great photos.

Here is an update on his condition from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery, posted 40 minutes ago:

19/K update: X-rays determined that the injured peregrine falcon is suffering from a dislocated elbow. The joint was put back in place by the veterinarian and wrapped. He is currently recovering and needs quiet time and rest.

After some recovery time and observation, he will undergo another x-ray to check on the healing process and evaluate if there are any other issues.

Thank you to Nebraska Game and Parks Commission and Lincoln Animal Control for assisting in this rescue!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 22:24 »

Poor 19K :'(, I'll be waiting to hear an update.

I understand they're going to band the chicks here tomorrow, so Alley will be all alone to defend their nest.

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/banding-broadcast-live-facebook/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2016, 21:52 »
This is the second time he's found himself in an unusual place - last time was on one of the passageways at the Capitol Building - hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury and he'll back soon.

Fortunately for Alley and their chick the chick is old enough that it doesn't have to eat as often as it did when it was younger and Alley is certainly capable of hunting and protecting him/her so long as they aren't sent any more curved balls!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 19:18 »
:'( :'( :'( These two just can't seem to catch a break the past 2 years.

No, they haven't!  Alley is very capable of looking after their one chick though. Hopefully 19K will have a speedy recovery.  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 19:03 »
 :'( :'( :'( These two just can't seem to catch a break the past 2 years.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 18:55 »
UPDATED: 19/K injured

Joel Jorgensen  June 6, 2016   Nongame Bird Blog

We received the unfortunate news the male Peregrine Falcon, 19/K, was recovered by Nick Finelli with Lincoln Animal Control this morning near the grain elevator at 26th and Fair Street.  19/K was injured and obviously unable to fly.  Below are photos taken by Nick when he found and recovered 19/K.

19/K is now in the hands of Fontenelle Forest’s Raptor Recovery.  He will undergo additional evaluation and I will pass along any information once I receive it.  We will also continue to monitor and evaluate the situation at the nest box.  Let’s hope for the best.

Fontenelle Forest’s Raptor Recovery  https://www.facebook.com/FFRaptorRecovery/?fref=ts

photos and info at this link

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/breaking-19k-injured/

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 00:18 »
WOW! Is that chick ever getting big! :o

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 08:59 »
Nap Time

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 11:14 »
Well looks like that gi-normous crop from yesterday didn't cause him/her any problems - glad for that given it is their only chicks this year!
Nice family scene RCF!
Love how tidy their nestbox is in comparison with the Radisson box - Alley must have some of her Dad's genes!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 08:29 »
This chick was fed at 6am and then again at 8am this morning. 19K also fed Alley about twenty minutes after 6am, no shortage of food here.

6am

8am

19K feeds Alley

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 16:24 »

Look at that crop!  A very well fed chick!

Wow, a gigantic crop  :o

and a beautiful chick  :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2016, 10:06 »
 ::) ::) ::) :-X

::) ::) ::) :-X
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 16:31 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 09:28 »
Alley feeding

:)

:-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2016, 11:13 »
That chick looks to be doing well - nice to see!!  Last year's chick - Orozco - did quite well as I recall, hopefully (knock on wood) this little tot will do likewise.

Chick is 5 days old, so halfway to being able to thermoregulate which is always the first hurdle for hatchlings.  Some rain forecasted to be on the way (https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Lincoln+NE+USNE0283:1:US) but it seems to be for thunderstorms so the POP could change depending on the daily temperatures it looks like ... fingers crossed the weather forecasters are overly optimistic about the precipitation for the next month ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 06:35 »
6:20 am
Tail end of this mornings feed, 19K comes to cover chick while Alley stores the leftovers.

Video ~ https://youtu.be/3fB1Fm1gj8k

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 16:14 »
Alley's a trooper, just like her mom!  ;D

Absolutely! Super Genes passed on to Alley!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 14:37 »
Alley's a trooper, just like her mom!  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 14:09 »
Just want to say thanks for your video after hatch, RCF. Alley looks so proud with her sweet little chick. :-*

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 14:04 »
Great news, and such a surprise after they thought it was game over!  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 06:28 »
Breakfast

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 22:23 »
Here is a short video just after hatch.  :-*

https://youtu.be/Vss38H5xJ-s

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 20:44 »
Touchdown! Touchdown! Touchdown!

Joel Jorgensen  May 17, 2016     Nongame Bird Blog

Earlier today (5/16) I posted a blog stating the game was all but over.  The apparent facts were indisputable and we were at the losing end.  The only chance was throwing a Hail Mary pass in desperation.  Beating the odds, our team came down with the ball only to score the winning touchdown.  In other words, one of the Peregrine Falcon eggs hatched late Monday evening.

More at this link
http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/05/touchdown-touchdown-touchdown/

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 19:51 »
First hatch for Alley and 19K  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 10:46 »
At the moment 19/K is parked on something (egg/chick) in the nestbox in a patch of sunshine.
Can't see any eggshells but he looks perfectly content.  Also no updates posted on their twitter or blog feeds.

Think this is Alley given the size and distance distortion with the camera but whomever it is, they were taking great care of these two eggs this morning.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 19:13 »
Joel Jorgensen Nongame Bird Blog

Time, decreasing probabilities and hope

So here we are on 12 May and there are no obvious signs either of the two remaining Peregrine Falcon eggs are hatching.   I originally stated I expected hatching would commence and/or occur during 7-12 May.  Over the weekend (7-8 May), the female disposed/ate three of the original five eggs (see this post and this post for more details).  Ally, the female falcon, and occasionally the male have continued incubating the two eggs leaving hope that a fluffball would emerge

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/05/passing-time-decreasing-probabilities/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 19:16 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 11:29 »
There are only two eggs left, she ate the third one this evening. 

I'd love to know how they can tell ... only thing I can think is that, aside from breaking or smelling, that they move differently from their compatriots in the same way that we humans can tell a raw egg from a hard-boiled one.  And no, I'm not saying that's how the peregrines tell, just that I wonder if they can tell how the interior of the egg feels as they move them around and as they move around them.  And what/when is the point when they know for sure that the egg isn't or is no longer developing.  Yet another one of those very cool things that we humans will never be able to comprehend how a peregrine knows something even if we could explain it simply because we aren't a peregrine and can't replicate peregrine senses and sensibilities.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 22:09 »
There are only two eggs left, she ate the third one this evening.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 21:16 »
Alley and 19/K are only incubating three eggs now. Alley disposed of two of them in the last 24 hours.

Fourth egg (April 9) would have been penultimate egg but given that she usually has 4 not 5, I estimated that incubation started April 8 just to be safe particularly given the changeable weather Lincoln has had this spring.  That would make tomorrow (May 8) 30 days, so I would expect hatching to start in the next 4 days given the experience this pair has.  Just an estimate of course, only one who really knows when they'll hatch is Alley.  ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 18:25 »
Alley and 19/K are only incubating three eggs now. Alley disposed of two of them in the last 24 hours.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 13:33 »
Haven't heard anything so I assume Alley & 19/K are still incubating the 5 eggs laid ... anyone heard differently?

The weather in Lincoln looks uncomfortable for whomever is incubating at the moment - they are right  out at the far end of the nestbox and it looks windy.  whoever it is, is tucked down as flat on the gravel as possible to stay out of the wind.  Remember Trey and Ivy on the nestledge when it was windy, that's what this bird looks like.  Hopefully the weather will improve and give him/her a break.

At my count, we are just a little past mid-way through incubation here.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 18:51 »
Five eggs this morning!!!   :o

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58 »
Alley and 19K have four eggs this morning!  :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:02 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 23:47 »
I checked their confirmed dates - first sighting of Alley or first ID of Alley (19K was identified much earlier) and giving them time to get reacquainted, court and get some eggs percolating and my calculations were that we should see eggs by March 31st - first egg was on April 1st.  Like to use them as a litmus test so we can more accurately guess when our kids will nest ... if Smiley and Princess are on the same kind of timetable, we could see eggs around April 10th, however that's still a bit earlier than usual - usually incubating begins about April 20th ...

Really close estimate on the date of the first egg, TPC. How do you use the dates of these eggs to judge when Princess and Smiley are likely to start egg laying?  

Alley and 19/K tend to be a pretty close match to Princess' usual schedule.  Hurricane and Brooklyn tend to be faster based on their return dates and Joli is often later than expected.  Gives me a ballpark to work with at least.  Easiest with our resident pairs of course - we know where they are nesting.  For our transient pairs who we hope will nest, it lets us look for different behaviours or in different places if we think they have moved from courting to egg-laying to incubating.  Whatever works to help us figure out who's doing what and where!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 18:08 »
I checked their confirmed dates - first sighting of Alley or first ID of Alley (19K was identified much earlier) and giving them time to get reacquainted, court and get some eggs percolating and my calculations were that we should see eggs by March 31st - first egg was on April 1st.  Like to use them as a litmus test so we can more accurately guess when our kids will nest ... if Smiley and Princess are on the same kind of timetable, we could see eggs around April 10th, however that's still a bit earlier than usual - usually incubating begins about April 20th ...

Really close estimate on the date of the first egg, TPC. How do you use the dates of these eggs to judge when Princess and Smiley are likely to start egg laying?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 16:59 »
I checked their confirmed dates - first sighting of Alley or first ID of Alley (19K was identified much earlier) and giving them time to get reacquainted, court and get some eggs percolating and my calculations were that we should see eggs by March 31st - first egg was on April 1st.  Like to use them as a litmus test so we can more accurately guess when our kids will nest ... if Smiley and Princess are on the same kind of timetable, we could see eggs around April 10th, however that's still a bit earlier than usual - usually incubating begins about April 20th ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 15:21 »
Third egg today for Alley and 19/K.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 08:06 »
Second egg, laid during the night or very early this morning.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 22:14 »
One of the birds going into a stoop from the nest box, on the very distant cam:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 22:10 »
This afternoon, Alley returned to the nest to protect her egg. She was still there after dark this evening.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 21:44 »
Alley had been spending time in the nest box over the past couple of days, looking somewhat lethargic.

And here comes 19/K: in the second pic, he is in the nest box behind Alley.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 16:46 »
Hip hip hooray for 19K & Alley! :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 16:23 »
Alley and 19/K have their first egg!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 11:12 »
Joel Jorgensen's post about 19/K's visit to the Woodmen nest states that he was there from February 15 - 19.

However, that is not quite the whole story. I observed 19/K at the Woodmen nest on February 7. Either he spent a longer period of time at Woodmen, or he made more than one visit.

It is difficult to believe that 19/K will be fifteen years old this year. He still looks like a young tiercel.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:57 »
Box is empty this morning and the scrap seems to be nicely filled in again.  Human? or Alley redecorating?
Cloudy in Lincoln right now - you can watch the clouds skid by if you watch the falcon cam as opposed to the falcon nest cam.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 13:52 »

Very short video of Alley and 19/K

https://youtu.be/ImAVWJHFMAI

Not so short video of Alley and 19/K bonding

https://youtu.be/_vp3hkjHWRQ
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 14:10 by RCF »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 13:08 »
Great news!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40 »
Great news, TPC! Let the PF season begin  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:16 »
Managed to get a not perfect, but perfect enough screen capture of the legband on the female bird in the nestbox on the 29th.  Sent the image to Joel in Nebraska who thanked us for a second pair of eyes and confirmed that it is Alley's band and so Alley and 19K have returned yet again!  This will be their 12th year together.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 14:23 »
Colour is correct, leg is correct but only saw the bottom half of the band ... good news is that Alley has a somewhat unique band number combination and what I saw matches at least 2/3 of her unique combination ... fingers crossed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 13:53 »
Pair at the State Capital at 1346h

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 13:30 »
Pretty sure I just saw Alley's band number ... got to go check quick ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 13:00 »
There is a peregrine there now preening. (1:00 pm - Feb 29 2016).

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 18:01 »
Just checked the falconcam and there is a new link - http://outdoornebraska.gov/falconcam/

I've also updated the link post that is pinned at the top of this thread.

No one at the box right now but there is a deep (to the bottom of the box) scrape.  Lovely evening though, sunny and looks warm - at 1800h it is +13C - Monday the 29th the high is forecasted to be +19C.  Definitely spring in Nebraska.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 17:41 »
Nice catch RCF!  :) 

For those who don't remember last year's timeline - Joel reported that he was identified in Omaha on Feb 22nd, fought with his son Mintaka in the nestbox on March 7th and then he was back for good at the State Capitol in Lincoln by March 12th.  

Fingers crossed he doesn't run into trouble again with Mintaka before he heads back across the (Platte) river and that Alley returns home as well ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
State Capitol - 2016 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 13:58 »
Up to his old tricks  Joel Jorgensen  Nongame Bird Blog

Last year at about this time, we were shocked and surprised when the resident male Peregrine Falcon from the Capitol was photographed in the nest box at the Woodmen Building in Omaha.  The bird was identified by his alphanumeric band “19/K”, which is also what he goes by since he was not named.   19/K was spotted up there again.  

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/02/19k-up-to-his-old-tricks/