Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 111743 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #704 on: August 24, 2016, 18:38 »
I guess it was Smiley I saw on the west nest yesterday just after 7pm. Sure was nice to see one of our 'birdies' hanging around! :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #703 on: August 24, 2016, 18:22 »
But where oh where can our Princess be? I hope she's not getting comfortable on the east ledge ... has anyone seen her lately? I'm getting worried.  ???

Don't be too worried, she usually disappears at this time of the year.  In the past she returns in the fall to renew her bond with her mate (we hope to clean out most of the debris in the box before then!) and then takes off in September.

Thank you for the information. I'll try not to worry then ... hmmm, I wonder where Princess goes to hang out during that time, and if Smiley visits her or if she goes quite far away ... was she known to disappear like this in her younger years, TPC?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #702 on: August 24, 2016, 14:31 »
But where oh where can our Princess be? I hope she's not getting comfortable on the east ledge ... has anyone seen her lately? I'm getting worried.  ???

Don't be too worried, she usually disappears at this time of the year.  In the past she returns in the fall to renew her bond with her mate (we hope to clean out most of the debris in the box before then!) and then takes off in September.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #701 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45 »

I believe Smiley brought in a meal for himself at 0518 hrs. It was too dark to see exactly what was going on in the box, but afterwards he sat on the front edge awhile before leaving at 0600 hrs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #700 on: August 24, 2016, 04:10 »
Smiley (I think) is relaxing, overlooking his kingdom.  It's so nice to see him.  Hopefully he'll stick around til it's time to go south ;D

I also think this was Smiley, and if so, he sure has been at the nest a lot recently (I’ve quite a list of sightings from yesterday and today). It’s interesting to watch how peregrines spend their time, and I’ve noticed that Smiley rarely sleeps at night; he’s practically always on the lookout.

By the way, my guess is that Smiley will be sticking around for quite a while, and I doubt he’ll even think about heading south any sooner than he absolutely has to!  ;D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #699 on: August 23, 2016, 18:17 »
Smiley (I think) is relaxing, overlooking his kingdom.  It's so nice to see him.  Hopefully he'll stick around til it's time to go south ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #698 on: August 22, 2016, 23:32 »

I don’t believe Smiley enjoyed the fireworks; he left! :(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #697 on: August 22, 2016, 22:46 »

Smiley arrived to watch over the site at 2234 hrs.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #696 on: August 22, 2016, 21:59 »

I haven’t seen any peregrines at the nest today, and I wasn’t really expecting to as it was quite hot and humid during the day. Hopefully somebirdie will still be interested in visiting when the weather is a little more to their liking (maybe tonight), though preferably during the day when light enough for TPC to see the band number.  :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2016, 22:38 »
The adult was Smiley, the chick is the male chick who we have yet to determine if it is Dixon (Radisson) or Mountbatten (Logan) - from what I have been able to see of each band, it could be either male ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #694 on: August 21, 2016, 18:56 »
This morning, a parent once again visited the nest. Later, one of the juvies came to visit for a little while.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #693 on: August 21, 2016, 18:47 »
At 6:55 p.m. Winnipeg time, a second juvie showed up. They both checked for leftovers, but found none. Based on behaviour, I think that both grew up at this nest.

They flew off together at 7:00 p.m.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #692 on: August 21, 2016, 18:39 »
In the late afternoon, a juvie arrived at the nest. Looks like a fairly small, slender bird; maybe Dixon?

Had a fairly empty crop, and checked for edible leftovers in the nest but did not find any.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #691 on: August 21, 2016, 18:28 »
Yesterday, there was an adult relaxing at the nest. Did quite a bit of preening, and stayed for a while.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #690 on: August 21, 2016, 18:19 »
There has definitely been more activity over the last few days. In the very early hours of August 19, there was one bird initially visible at the nest. But there were two; they stayed for some time.