Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 111074 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #689 on: August 21, 2016, 17:05 »
Okay, Burdi's twosome - one them is confirmed as Cora, a Radisson chick from this year.  The male's second number on the bottom is a bit obscured about a bit of crud but it still looks more like Mountbatten's (Logan) band number than Dixon's (Radisson).  Perhaps if he would show me his band number while he is on the edge of the box I might get a clearer look in better light.

So our second visitor is Cora! Excellent work, TPC! It’s so nice to see the youngsters and know they are well; hopefully Nellie is also nearby. And here’s hoping our male visitor will drop by again and perhaps be identified. Good luck!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #688 on: August 21, 2016, 14:11 »
Okay, Burdi's twosome - one them is confirmed as Cora, a Radisson chick from this year.  The male's second number on the bottom is a bit obscured about a bit of crud but it still looks more like Mountbatten's (Logan) band number than Dixon's (Radisson).  Perhaps if he would show me his band number while he is on the edge of the box I might get a clearer look in better light.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #687 on: August 21, 2016, 11:22 »
Sorry folks, Puck is a green bird, not a red ... so Dixon, Mountbatten, Calvin (unlikely as that may seem) or Oberon at the Radisson ... think I may have more of his band number ... going to check the records - may have the friend Burdi spotted, got most the number and the tape colour, need to check if what the missing digit might be ... back when I have more info ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #686 on: August 21, 2016, 10:14 »
I read Burdi's note and switched on the cam to check the recording and lo and behold, birdie on the ledge ... bit out of range of the ledge cam so I've moved the skycam to check him/her out.  very light colours on the head, can't see the feet.  Maybe s/he'll show me feet or walk down to the ledge cam and I can check out feet.  From overhead it is exceedingly difficult to tell size but the toes look fairly gracile so I suspect one of the boys ....

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #685 on: August 21, 2016, 00:13 »
Burdi's little friend was back and I could finally see that there is some crud on his band which is helping to obscure the second number. Will keep watching and let you know if I get a band number.  Still think it is mostly likely Dixon or Mountbatten ... either way it is nice to find out these two are still with us and hanging around ...

Many thanks for checking on our visitor, TPC! It's really nice to know that my little friend is one of the males, and without your help, I would never have known! I have a feeling this is Dixon though nothing much to go on except that he somehow looks at home at the Radisson! Mountbatten or Puck, I suppose ... though Puck - with his possible housekeeping genes - could prove helpful at getting this nestbox cleaned up for Smiley and Princess. ;)

I did see my little friend yesterday morning around 1110 hrs; he left at 1213 hrs, but I missed a lot! (It’s good to know you were checking, TPC.) Early this morning I believe Smiley was on the edge of the box at 0301 hrs (he probably spent most of the night there), but I wasn’t able to watch again till this afternoon at 1720 hrs when I found our young visitor back again! He stayed till just before 1900 hrs and was joined by a second young visitor shortly before leaving! Also, around 1950 hrs I spotted an adult (Smiley perhaps), who stayed only a few minutes.

TPC, if you check the recording you will see somebirdie arrive on the sw corner of the box at 1853 hrs - while our first visitor was still sitting on the front edge. These two were together for 5 minutes or so while nibbling on scraps in the box, then suddenly they were gone (so I imagine they left together just before 1900 hrs). Hope you will be able to tell who’s who; I’m amazed how close you were to getting the second number on the band of our first visitor! It’s great to see activity here again!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #684 on: August 19, 2016, 16:23 »
Burdi's little friend was back and I could finally see that there is some crud on his band which is helping to obscure the second number. Will keep watching and let you know if I get a band number.  Still think it is mostly likely Dixon or Mountbatten ... either way it is nice to find out these two are still with us and hanging around ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #683 on: August 19, 2016, 09:56 »

I think I might have seen one of the kids sitting on the front edge of the nestbox this morning. I don't know how long this bird was sitting there but I turned on the cam at about 11:15; he or she left at 11:24. :D

TPC, could you please check to see who this was?

Well your little friend was being a bit coy ... it is one of the males but we have three all with red tape on their bands (going to have to think that one through next year ... or maybe not, makes it easy to tell it is one of the boys ... hmmm, yup, definitely going to have think that one through) ... sorry, back on topic ... I can see the first digit of his band but all the bands are in sequence so that isn't much help.  The second number is what the boy was being coy about, all he needed to do (four times!!!) was turn 1/2 centimeter to the right and I would have been able to make it out.  Best I can tell from what I could see of the second number, I think it could have been either Dixon (Radisson) or Mountbatten (Logan).  Number didn't look like it could be Calvin (Brandon) or Puck (West Winnipeg).  HAVING SAID THAT Puck is the only red-tape chick that I have seen around lately, so hopefully your wee visitor will come back and flash better leg!!

Good catch Burdi!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2016, 11:47 »

I think I might have seen one of the kids sitting on the front edge of the nestbox this morning. I don't know how long this bird was sitting there but I turned on the cam at about 11:15; he or she left at 11:24. :D

TPC, could you please check to see who this was?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #681 on: August 17, 2016, 19:40 »

This is Smiley - he's larger than our recent resident males and he looks more like Princess but for his full black head.

These two are of Princess - this bird is larger - she is at the far end of the nestbox and still looks bigger than the other bird.  Her crown is also visible in these pictures and his cap is full black.

Well, at least I was right on one of the birds, but I’m not surprised to hear my guess was wrong about the bird in the other two pics (especially when size appeared larger). I used to be able to correctly distinguish Smiley from Princess - so uncertain why problems now, although I think this might have started while so often viewing them from quite a distance on the cam.

Perhaps it may help if I try to stop thinking that what I’m viewing is much too unclear or distorted, however, I have absolutely no excuse for forgetting that Princess has a crown! Thank you for the refresher tips, TPC.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #680 on: August 17, 2016, 19:30 »

I should mention a bit about how I arrived at Smiley regarding the pics in question. First, I really do think that was Smiley in the pic posted at 15:31, but I’m still undecided about the two pics posted at 15:29. The malar stripe on Smiley does not match what I see on the left side of the bird in the top pic, and the bird in the pic also appears a bit large, so going with that, I would have said this is Princess. However, I decided to say Smiley since this bird appears to have a very white chest; I’ve also considered things which can make a bird’s markings look very unclear - such as angle, light and distance. It’s happened before, so at times I’m somewhat doubtful as to whether or not what I’m seeing at such a distance is true. Oh well, I look forward to finding out exactly who the birds are in Alison’s pics (no rush of course!). :)

Burdi, thank you so much for trying to figure out which birds were in the pics I posted. I really appreciate it! I have seen so little of the birds this year (especially Smiley) that it is difficult to be sure.

It would be great to hear of any recent sightings of the juvies.

Thank you, Alison, that was very nice of you to say! I was a little hesitant, but considering that I’ve been wrong at guessing who’s who on the cam lately, I decided it was an opportunity for some practice.  :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #679 on: August 16, 2016, 19:32 »
I think this is Smiley. :)   This was on Sunday Aug 14 2016.

https://youtu.be/tsWvDb32iwY

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #678 on: August 16, 2016, 02:56 »
Night visitor, around 2:30 a.m. Winnipeg time:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #677 on: August 15, 2016, 19:40 »
Big storm today .... some shots from the Radisson & of I believe Smiley taking cover on the Alt Hotel sign ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #676 on: August 14, 2016, 23:20 »
There was an adult at the nest box this morning, around 7:45 a.m. Winnipeg time:

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #675 on: August 11, 2016, 11:43 »
LOL......  Too funny. (Two-Timer) !  :P

I haven't seen any more kiddies lately while waiting for the bus. :(