Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2016 / Ty & Faith  (Read 32045 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2016 / Ty & Faith
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 08:12 »
We had a report yesterday from a member of the public that he thought he might have found a dead peregrine near the West Winnipeg site.  Needless to say I zipped down to the location and found the bird just where he'd carefully placed it.  Fortunately I already knew it wasn't Ry or Faith they were parked at opposite ends of the nestsite but we'd had a third bird flying overhead during the banding so if it the flee-by wasn't a resident bird could it have been a tourist and if so might it be someone we know and did they perhaps run afoul of the West Winnipeg pair - Ty is perfectly willing to defend his territory as we know first-hand.  But it turns out the hoofbeats I was hearing was horse not zebra and the dead bird was a Coopers Hawk.  Broke its neck - could have struck a nearby building (that's how it presents) but was it just bad luck or were Ty/Faith involved? It was certainly close enough to be a possibility and this pair is still touchy with young chicks.  Nice looking bird.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2016, 15:08 »
These chicks are just on the cusp of being able to thermoregulate, but the cool wet weather today still requires Mom and Dad to keep them warm/dry.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2016, 23:51 »
Very cute photo, TPC! 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2016, 18:48 »
Because of today's warm temperatures and because the box shades them from the sun, the chicks were uncovered for much of the day without an adult, with an adult standing nearby in the box or as in this case, hanging out on the nestbox roof.

Nice that the kids lined up with their heads all in a row  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 23:10 »
Nice to see 3 chicks here! Faith seems to be a great mama. Still, I miss Beatrix.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59 »
Three hungry mouths to feed...didn't see an egg.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2016, 15:08 »
Awww ... thanks for the pic TPC, I'm so happy for them. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 15:02 »
Picture of the three chicks yesterday afternoon ...

Last egg looks like it might have a pip or it could be damaged.  Hard to know if this will be a 3 or 4 nest.  Either is just fine with me!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 13:27 »
Yup, Faith was waiting for Tot 3 to hatch yesterday.  Got a first look at the third chick just before 1526h when everyone got fed - new chick is absolutely not a meek younger sib - chick was front and centre asking for food. At only a few hours old, it did very well staying upright longer than I thought it would.  Well up then down and up again, repeat.  Very cute.  Faith is much better at the feeding now - practice is improving her skills.  Still rough around the edges both with feeding and getting the chicks under her but having said that Ty had a funny episode getting the three chicks and last egg under him, flipped one of the chicks over and it protested mightily for about 2 seconds before it nodded off to sleep again.  These two have got a good routine - lots of meals through the day, everyone getting fed each time, nice sharing of responsibilities, they have figured out how to manage the rain and Ty seems to be channelling his father Trey's housekeeping genes - their box is pristine compared to the same time after hatching at the Radisson.  Got to love the personality differences between birds!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54 »
It is raining again but not nearly as hard as a couple of days ago - whole back corner of the box is dry and has been all morning.  Very fast meal just about 1/2 hour ago and then she hopped right back on the tots.  Thought it was because of the rain, but mostly she takes a break and Ty sits with the kids for awhile.  Not this time and I think perhaps a saw a bit of wet chick on her when she moved but can't be sure - certainly neither of the chicks got wet during the last meal so if not a third chick hatching, must have been just a trick of the light.  Will likely have to wait at least a couple of hours until the next meal to find out however .... more news as I have it ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2016, 10:06 »
 :)  Awww they are just so cute. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11 »
There was a meal about 0230h - couldn't see it in the dark, but did see the delivery & her fast retrieval.  Another meal at 0428h by Ty this time and no problems so it is nice that Faith isn't insisting on doing all the feeding like Princess. 

Oh, Tot 1 now has a bud ...

And yes, she will get better at feeding ... she also needs to work on how to get off the chicks ... she changed places with Ty just before 0700h and knocked one of the chicks right off her foot and s/he rolled and ended up on his back looking like a drunken sailor.  Not much of a roll but cute as all get out. That she'll learn in time as well.  I'll see if I can't catch some video for folks later today (its a work day  ;))

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 20:21 »
Hope She'll get the hang of it, and the little ones will be ok.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 20:14 »

;D Those first feedings sound rather funny, but I like to think she will figure things out soon. If not, I hope Ty will be allowed to help out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 18:58 »
Faith looks to be doing very well as a new mom!

Congratulations Ty and Faith, and welcome to the big world, little one.  :-* 

She had the incubation part down pat - no rain got by her!  The feeding stuff she's not so good at yet - not like Beatrix who, as we have said before here, looked like she'd been doing it for 10 years in her first year as a Mom.  But Faith is improving - first meal sucked big time, she knew the theory but was having trouble visualizing the follow through.  That was about 2pm as I recall.  By 4pm, she was getting the hang of the follow through but not the fact that chick can barely hold its head up let alone help a great deal with the feeding process.  Knocked him flat at one point - actually, did it at both feedings, nearly buried him under the meal she was bring him the first time, second time was pushing food into his mouth and over he toppled.  Very cute and in slow motion.  Think chick two might have hatched a wee bit ago, that or she's stuffing the eggshells back under her again.  Funny to watch her do that actually - all the rest of our parents fling them around with great abandon in comparison!  Might get another look if there is another meal before the light leaves.