Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2016 / Ty & Faith  (Read 32077 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2016 / Ty & Faith
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 23:17 »
Two of them were enjoying hanging out on the wall this evening. One decided to lay low, while the other one waved to me, then showed me the red tape on their left leg.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2016, 19:52 »
I like this site, thought the winds might present a problem for the chicks but doesn't seem to be the case, may in fact help them because they have enough protection that they get familiar with the winds before they ever have to try and fly.  Didn't think that no or light winds would make my heart stop, but go figure, no/light winds mean the little darlings can get up and run the walls 10 days before we'd expect them to fledge.  Not a problem so long as they don't try to pass each other  :o  that's when my heart stops.  But they are getting good at hopping down onto the roof and running/flapping to where they want to me - and the ramp from the roof to the patio took no learning at all - zip, up they went.  And they have discovered that when the sun is hot, the rocks on the roof in the shade are very cool and it is even cooler under the nestbox.

All in all, these three are doing well (knock on wood), it is those of us who watch them who are doing not so well  :-\

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2016, 18:51 »
Love the pixs!   sure they are not little monkeys! ROFL :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2016, 20:53 »
 8)   Great pics Dupre! !!!!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2016, 20:33 »
I can imagine! Well, sort of. But I can definately see for myself.

At 5:45 pm, just a short time before the evening rain shower, Faith was on the wall. What are these chicks doing up here already? Aren't they supposed to run around on the roof a bit first?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2016, 14:22 »
I'm not sure I like years with light winds at this nestsite ... one of the boys and the lone girl have begun walking the roof wall ... it is heart-attack inducing sometimes!!!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2016, 19:57 »
More photos have been added to the gallery.
 http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2016

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2016, 19:06 »
Wake us up when the rain stops ...

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2016, 15:03 »

Faith and Ty make a good pair - she is ferocious like Joli (but Joli doesn't hit) and Ty is just the same but he doesn't hit, he keeps you in sight at all time so Faith can get low and come in fast without them losing sight of the danger.  These two are fun to watch - they kept expecting us to come back and he parked himself at the nestbox with the kids and she just kept circling quietly above like a great white shark waiting for bait.

Great strategy!

They made a plan and told each other - Don’t worry, I’ve got your back!  8)  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2016, 14:49 »
Faith is one very defensive bird...love it when you can feel the wind from the wings as they pass.

That’s nice to see! She’s fierce like a falcon needs to be (to survive!).

She’s gorgeous too! Love the photo - thank you, Dennis.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2016, 14:46 »
Sneak peak of the kids at West Wpg...banding/flight photos from the day will be added in the coming days.

Thanks Dennis. They’re just irresistible!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2016, 12:03 »
Nice to see at least one nest that isn't too old for a chick pile ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2016, 00:01 »
Interesting explanation of the WW nest box, etc., TPC. Thanks!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07 »
1100h - two chicks - female & male - are up on the patio - female is lying down napping, brother is newly up there and looking around. Other boy is sound asleep tucked into a corner of the nestbox,

These guys are between 30 and 32 days old as of today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2016, 11:04 »
At the Radisson, the chicks have inside the box, the balcony, the nestledge and the edge of the nestbox at the Radisson is where the chicks perch when they are in the last 7-10 days before fledging and then they are off.  Here the chicks have a kind of split level design - have the box where they have spent all their time up until now and then above that, but below the edge of the roof is the patio.  From the patio they can sit and look out and see what their parents are up to.  They can also stay out of the wind which is a big component of life at this location and it is wide enough that they can all nap on it together or separately.  The last feature is a ramp down to the roof itself, not unlike what we have for the Brandon chicks.  Brandon chicks don't generally use the ramp except as a toy past the first few days (they jump up after that when they want to get under cover) - here however, the chicks will use the ramp for a week as the box is too high for them to jump up to before they actually start to fly short distances.  Once they get to the stage when the Radisson chicks would be hopping up on the box edge, that is when the WW chicks tend to be make short flights across the roof like at McKenzie Seeds and then they may from time to time, hop up on the roof of the nestbox or up onto the roof itself.  Because they have lots of vertical things to land on and horizontal space to fly back and forth and still have a measure of protection from the wind, they tend not to hop on the roof wall until they are having some serious thoughts about flying.  This is how it generally works, we'll have to see if this crew use it the same way as their predecessors.