Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / A Death in the Family - Beatrix (2011-2018)  (Read 34615 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Beatrix Rescued in Texas
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 00:41 »
Wow! Sure do hope Beatrix is able to make it back to Winnipeg soon.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 20:49 »
Wow they already have enough donations to fly her home!   8)  Now all she needs is a vet check to make sure she is okay!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 19:12 »
Hurry home Beatrix!  This is such a great story.  From smokestack to hailstorm with a bunch of kids in between :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 18:25 »
Thank you for the donation link Alison, done - let's get her home!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 17:12 »
There is also a link to donate to help get Beatrix home.

Beatrix is from Winnipeg, Canada and nests there each year. Her husband and nest are both waiting for her return. She was injured here in Dallas on her way home. When her rehab is complete, she needs to be flown back so as not to miss the beginning of nesting season the middle of April. She is an endangered species in Canada and part of The Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project's critical breeding program.Help us get this special lady back home.

https://www.gofundme.com/wuvb3ctm

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 17:05 »
Thank you so much for the update and further information on Beatrix, TPC.

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center has now posted anr update:

We got an email from the project coordinator of the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project in Manitoba, Canada last night and got some cool backstory on the peregrine falcon, Beatrix!

"One of the supporters of our Project found and passed along your facebook report on the peregrine that was injured in your recent hailstorm. First of all, thank you! Your newest patient, as you have discovered through the BBL is one of ours.

Your patient is Beatrix, a 2011 wild-hatched female from our longest running nestsite here in Manitoba - the Radisson Hotel in downtown Winnipeg. She has also been the resident female in our West Winnipeg territory for the last two years and has successfully raised four offspring - four females (Belle, Bristol, Tiggy & Tuppence) and two males (Beaumont & Bishop). Her daughter Bristol was identified south of Winnipeg in Grand Forks, North Dakota just this spring.

In 2011 all of the Radisson chicks were named, by popular vote, after historical conservationalists. She was named after Beatrix Potter the English author, illustrator, mycologist and conservationist who left all of her property to the National Trust which now makes up most of England's Lake District National Park. Beatrix's siblings were named Carson after Rachel Carson of Silent Spring fame, Cade after Tom Cade the founding chairman of The Peregrine Fund and Fyfe after Richard Fyfe who founded the Canadian Anatum Peregrine Falcon Recovery Program in the 1970s.

Our project is part of Richard Fyfe's national recovery program and we began releasing captive-bred chicks in 1981. The first confirmed wild peregrine nest in Manitoba since before WW2 occurred in 1989 and Beatrix is a great grand-daughter from that first wild nest.

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me an update on her condition (she looks good in the photos on your Facebook page) and what her prognosis is. Hopefully she is releasable and that you can let me know when she is released (perhaps with a couple of photos) and we can watch out for her up here and send you and all your volunteers and supporters updates. Our experience with her is that she is a tough, capable little bird so we hope that with the help of the Rogers Wildlife Rehab she can be back on her way home soon.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon."

https://www.facebook.com/Rogers-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Center-398035120217303/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 15:46 »
Thank you for the update TPC!  I just got home and saw they've added more photos of her to their site with a 'story to come' mention. 

Sure hope she can be on her way home soon, hate to see her have a fight for her site when she finally gets here if it's too late  :-\

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 14:49 »
 ;D YES! I believe she became quite the CTV celebrity. She certainly surprised some workers. And many photo ops!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 14:31 »
Back story? 
Was it Beatrix that was picked up as a grounded fledgling by Ms Dolittle and popped in a cardboard box?

No Beatrix is from the Radisson and went down the smokestack downtown.  It was two days after she fledged.  Had her checked out by Wildlife Haven and then she and her brother Carson came back out to the Radisson and we released them together back into the nestbox and their brother Cade was overseeing the whole activity from the wall above our heads.  That was in 2011.

In 2013 she reappeared in the West Winnipeg territory in October hunting giant water bugs in mid-air (disgustingly unappetizing but very cool to watch) then she was back in the Spring of 2014 bright and early to welcome Beau back and they had 4 chicks - Beaumont, Bishop, Bristol (who's in Grand Forks last we heard) and Belle.  Back again in 2015 and after a set-to between Beau and Ty at the nest site, she settled down with Ty and they had 2 chicks - Tiggy (who ate something she shouldn't have but recovered) and Tuppence.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 13:18 »
Back story? 
Was it Beatrix that was picked up as a grounded fledgling by Ms Dolittle and popped in a cardboard box?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34 »
Spoke with the Rogers Wildlife Rehab Centre and Beatrix was found near an major intersection but didn't look to have collided with anything and it was just after the major hail storm that blew through the area ()

She is a very good weight and in great condition.  She's so calm in the centre that it surprised the rehabbers - might be because she grew up at the Radisson where she would have hear people noises (footsteps, doors, voices) every day of her life.  She's eating but not keen on quail so they asked for some suggestions which because of the webcams I was able to provide.  She is going to go off to the vet as soon as they can get her an appointment.  She appears uninjured but they need to make sure.  They are optimistic that she is releasable but she really needs to be seen by the vet before they are more than optimistic.

I provided them with her back story so they will be sharing that with their supporters either on their website or Facebook page (sorry, forgot to ask).  And I will most more information as I get it.

So far, so good.  No news of obvious injuries is good news until we hear back from her vet visit.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 00:36 »
Thanks carly   I brought her pics over...I don't think everyone has FaceBook.

She's beautiful!   :-*.

Thanks for the photos RCF - and for those wanting to check out the rehab centre's Facebook page it is a public page so you can see most everything.  I'm one of those people RCF referred to (;)) who doesn't have a Facebook account and I was able to check it out.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 00:05 »
I am sorry that Beatrix ran into problems in a hail storm, but glad that she was found and taken to rehab. I wonder where she was found originally, and how she ended up at Rogers Wildlife Center. I hope she will recover fully and be able to continue her journey home. She really is a beautiful falcon.

Sounds as if it was a really bad hail storm, with hail ranging from golf ball size to tennis ball size, and huge amounts of damage. The Fort Worth Zoo lost seven or eight of their birds in the storm.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article66605132.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/violent-hail-storm-kills-7-birds-at-fort-worth-zoo-in-texas/

I am just grateful that Beatrix was able to make it through the storm, and is in a safe place.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 20:36 »
Thanks carly   I brought her pics over...I don't think everyone has FaceBook.

She's beautiful!   :-*

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 22:44 by RCF »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 18:56 »
You know when I saw her yesterday, I started typing a pm to you and then someone else posted they found the bands so I deleted it.  Should have went with my gut instinct  :-\ 

I'm so glad that the Rehab centre decided to do their due diligence.  I book marked the site and that's why I got notice of the update a little while ago.

Sounds like she will be okay...I hope so anyway.