Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / A Death in the Family - Beatrix (2011-2018)  (Read 34642 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Beatrix Rescued in Texas
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2016, 12:39 »
How's Beatrix doing?

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center I'm waiting on paperwork from Canada to fly her home. She's doing well just can't make the trip on her own.
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

TPC, I asked them for an update on their Facebook feed and this was the answer.  I have a question: If She is "flown" back to Winnipeg, will She be released near the West Winnipeg Site? and will She be well/strong enough for migration?  Will flying her back to Winnipeg mess with her orientation?

Don't know the answer to any of those questions really, she isn't coming up here to be released, she is coming up here to finish her rehabilitation in anticipation of her being re-released.  And arrival isn't imminent, we have 4 levels of government paperwork to hopefully work our way though yet.

As for her orientation, remember that the first time she migrated as a chick she had no idea where she was going or why but she still ended up where most of our peregrines seem to end up for the winter.  We don't understand what all the cues and clues most birds use to migrate though there is lots of speculation.  The fact that a 4 month old bird can fly from Winnipeg to Mexico all by itself just the way thousands of its ancestors have done for millions of years (yes, literally - it is believed they diverged from other falcons in the late Miocene to early Pliocene - 5-8 million years ago) is enough to convince me that there has been a lot more going on in those little brains and bodies for a very long time and that we are probably never going to come close to fully understanding how they do it, which works for me.  So no, Beatrix won't have any problem figuring out what she wants to do when she finally gets the chance to do it.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59 »
How's Beatrix doing?

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center I'm waiting on paperwork from Canada to fly her home. She's doing well just can't make the trip on her own.
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

TPC, I asked them for an update on their Facebook feed and this was the answer.  I have a question: If She is "flown" back to Winnipeg, will She be released near the West Winnipeg Site? and will She be well/strong enough for migration?  Will flying her back to Winnipeg mess with her orientation?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 11:21 »
Is there a point where she'll have spent so much time in captivity that she won't be able to function in the wild, TPC?  ie.  she hasn't been hunting to feed herself, etc.

No, they don't forget how do be a wild peregrine.  Even falconry birds trained from almost hatching to work and live with humans regularly take off and do just fine in the wild.  All the important stuff is hardwired.  And there have been lots of birds that have spent a year or more in captivity and been returned to the wild no problem.  We don't believe she will take that long.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2016, 11:09 »
Is there a point where she'll have spent so much time in captivity that she won't be able to function in the wild, TPC?  ie.  she hasn't been hunting to feed herself, etc.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2016, 11:03 »
i was wondering, as she has missed this breeding season, will she come back here next year, or will she stay down south ... is it common for them to always or almost always return to the same nesting area ...

Her hardwiring is such that wherever she is released, she will migrate south to Mexico and then head back north - likely back to here since she has nested successfully here twice and she hatched from here.  But we will have to see how she does and what she wants to do. All we can do is get her healthy enough to be released back into the wild.

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48 »
i was wondering, as she has missed this breeding season, will she come back here next year, or will she stay down south ... is it common for them to always or almost always return to the same nesting area ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 21:55 »
My thoughts always wonder to Beatrix ... its been awhile, how is she doing?

She's healing slowly ... and eating her way though a mountain of quail!!!

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2016, 21:23 »
My thoughts always wonder to Beatrix ... its been awhile, how is she doing?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 07:41 »
Thanks so much for sharing this, RCF! I have a better understanding now.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2016, 18:05 »
Beatrix the Falcon Still Not Cleared To Fly

More than two months after she arrived, a rare Peregrine falcon remains at the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Hutchins.

"Once she's up, she can fly back and forth, but it's getting from the ground up where she has the problem," said Kathy Rogers, founder of the wildlife center

More at this link
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Beatrix-The-Falcon-Still-Not-Cleared-To-Fly-380310761.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2016, 13:07 »
Thanks for the update on Beatrix TPC.  She's in the best place right now especially given that her mate has a new girl and eggs..well it wouldn't end well for someone.  She can take her time, there is always next year for babies  :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2016, 12:44 »
Thanks TPC! No doubt she is in a place where she can receive the rehab best for her. Stay put Beatrix!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2016, 12:18 »
Are there any new updates on Beatrix?  ???

Same as before - doing well, bit stronger, eating nicely (if expensively) ... soft tissue injuries are a pain because they can take a long time and because it's her wing, its always in use while she's recuperating ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44 »
Are there any new updates on Beatrix?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2016, 16:34 »
She's still in rehab down south and doing well except they still don't think she is ready to go.

I'm looking into the permit requirements to get her across the border if it comes to that but it takes more time and paperwork than you might imagine.

When she is ready to go, hopefully she won't have the urge to seek out Ty and her nestsite with any great determination, but that too we will have to wait and see about.