Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / A Death in the Family - Beatrix (2011-2018)  (Read 34643 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Beatrix Rescued in Texas
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2016, 20:08 »
Heh..well the only falcon I rescued that was that calm was one that rolled in some manure in someone's garden prior to my finding her  ::)  I expect she was having a laugh at me gagging from the smell as I carried her inside to put in the carrier.  ;)

Kathy certainly handled Bea well, she's very good at her job.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2016, 17:44 »
Thank you for the update TPC.  I sure hope she can be free again, she looks really good from what we saw of her in the video though admittedly a bit docile compared to what I would have expected.  I noticed in the video when she was in the flight cage she seemed to be looking for a way out so that's a good sign, non?  ???

Don't know when the flight cage shots were taken, could well have been from the first time she made it into the news.  I'm not sure that docile is exactly how I would have described it - that looking up at the person who's holding you is just what the chicks and injured birds do when we handle them - like they don't trust you not to drop them!  It would also help that Kathy is familiar with holding her, often that helps to keep birds a wee bit calmer particularly in unfamiliar locations.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2016, 17:26 »
Thank you for the update TPC.  I sure hope she can be free again, she looks really good from what we saw of her in the video though admittedly a bit docile compared to what I would have expected.  I noticed in the video when she was in the flight cage she seemed to be looking for a way out so that's a good sign, non?  ???

Thank you to everyone that made it possible to bring her home  :) :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2016, 17:02 »
Yup, Beatrix is back in Manitoba.  Took forever to get all the permits in place and it seemed like every time we got past one obstacle another one would unexpectedly crop up.  The Canadian import permits were relatively painless and quick but the USFWS export permit took forever.  So after 6 months the last of the paperwork arrived on Tuesday and it was in Texas on Wednesday so that it could accompany Beatrix was on the plane Thursday.  And now she's here.

Beatrix has had her first vet visit and she'll be heading back again next week.  She's not however out of the woods I'm afraid.  So keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02 »
Carly, you have absolutely made my day with this wonderful news. Thank you so much for sharing with me/us. Welcome home, Beatrix!  ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2016, 04:29 »
Thank you for the video link Alison!  What a great sight to wake up to.  Hopefully she and Kathy arrived safely and we'll hear more once Bea is settled in.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2016, 00:47 »
This is the most wonderful news! Thanks, Carly! I've been checking frequently for updates on the forum, but there had been nothing new.

Welcome home, beautiful Beatrix! Many thanks to Kathy Rogers for taking such great care of Beatrix for so long.

NBC had coverage of Beatrix's travels tonight, with a short video:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Beatrix-the-Falcon-Gets-Help-Flying-Home-to-Canada-After-Rehab-404130966.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 20:59 »
From the comments below the article, she'll be home by midnight tonight.

And as to where she is going:  She's going home to Winnipeg where she hatched and where she nests. They'll keep her at a rehab facility for the winter and release her in the spring for the nesting season.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2016, 20:44 »
From their FB page:

Remember this lady? Well......she's finally going home. First leg of the journey to Toronto is complete and now on to Winnipeg. Almost home, Bea!!!!!!

Bea's Passport!!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 20:50 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2016, 20:40 »
Beatrix is on her way home, post just popped up on my Facebook, she's in Toronto on her way to TPC I assume???

https://www.facebook.com/rogerswildlife/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2016, 15:16 »

She has been improving but as we have seen with 19/K, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.  Things have slowed a bit though because of the summer heat in Texas but the rehab folks have been taking great care to make sure she's staying cool and is very well fed on quail.  Her personality is still attitudinal (which is great) but they understand her by now.   ;D 

I am glad to hear that Beatrix is improving. Since she is not yet fully healed, and migration has already begun, will she perhaps remain in care through the winter?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2016, 16:45 »
Just wondering if Beatrix has been making any progress? It has been five months since she was injured; I hope that she is improving and will soon be fully recovered. 

She has been improving but as we have seen with 19/K, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.  Things have slowed a bit though because of the summer heat in Texas but the rehab folks have been taking great care to make sure she's staying cool and is very well fed on quail.  Her personality is still attitudinal (which is great) but they understand her by now.   ;D 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2016, 21:15 »
Just wondering if Beatrix has been making any progress? It has been five months since she was injured; I hope that she is improving and will soon be fully recovered.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2016, 14:58 »
Thanks for your answers Tracey.  Paperwork sounds complicated.

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2016, 14:01 »
they are probably running out of qual!  ;D  just kidding ... it will good for her to come home!