Author Topic: ON / Kitchener - 2016-19  (Read 5037 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Ontario / Kitchener - 2019 / ? & ?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58 »
Kitchener chicks were banded yesterday - both parents are unbanded this year but they think the female is the one they named Mystery.

Banding of 3 chicks
May 29, 2019 - Kitchener - CTV-Bell Media Tower
Marion Nash Reports:

May 28th 2019
3 healthy chicks banded yesterday 1 girl and 2 boys. We had 2 new climbers being trained by our long time volunteer John Miller who all climber the tower to extract the chicks. As usual the adults were very protective and swooped and dove on the tower yelling at the human invaders. The extraction went very well and took very little time job well done guys!

There were 3 chicks 2 boys and 1 girl all healthy and good weights. you can view the CTV news story at this link https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1693661

the female was named by the Kitchener fledge watch team Hemera banded Z over 41 she weighed 853 grams. ( red tape on silver band)
the first male was named by CTV Kawhi for those Raptor fans. Hs band number is W over 94 and he weighed 608 grams. ( blue tape on silver band)
the second male again named by the Kitchener team was named Jupiter band number W over 95 weighed in at 609 grams. ( Green tape on silver band)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:09 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 15:57 »
No worries TPC, I seem to remember that video from last year and we haven't had any hatches this year yet anywhere here.  Even MEC was 8 days late in laying due to the weather compared to last year.

That being said I just a nest exchange and 5 intact eggs are there, no idea when they were laid as the cam was just recently turned on.  They both keep shuggling the eggs though which I don't usually see until close to hatching. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 15:47 »
???  Just saw 5 eggs there, think that is last years news TPC.

It's entirely possible Carly, sometimes the media outlets post videos late or repost them and they get "re-dated" so to speak.  I hadn't heard anything about Kitchner and was surprised by the timing but heck, it is Ontario (just kidding Ontarians!  ;D) and its always nice to post a video!  I'll see if I can hunt up the real date of the video and move it to the appropriate thread!

Thanks!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 15:24 »
???  Just saw 5 eggs there, think that is last years news TPC. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 15:26 by carly »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 18:35 »
The eggs have started to hatch in Kitchener ...

video = https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1413291

link courtesy of CTV Kitchener

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 13:20 »
Kitchener cam is live.  No clue who is there this year what with Lucifer passing away last year. 

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/back-for-another-year-ctv-peregrine-falcon-cam-streaming-live-1.2313835

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Ontario / Kitchener - 2016-18
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 17:50 »
I had a look back through the timeline here, and 92 days isn't necessarily too short a time in care, especially since a month before his release he was able to fly 50ish feet horizontally in his flight cage and being able to fly/launch vertically to the perch where he's sitting in the cage is even more difficult and taxing on the wing.  Had the bird been kept over the winter, he wouldn't necessarily get any better, just more practised over short distances/heights.  Keeping him past the migration period probably would have meant holding him until just before spring migration - so another 5 months.  I know Kitchener has prey all winter long but it is very likely that he would have headed south and would have had to rely on whatever prey he could find en-route - not so easy in the winter.  If he had stayed in the area he would have had to get back up to speed hunting in an urban environment, which is pretty challenging even though there is a a consistent food source.

It sucks that Lucifer was lost particularly as he was young and seemingly doing well, but it is entirely possible that it was just an accident, one that could have happened to any peregrine - recovering from injury or not. 

Of course, I don't know the bird or the rehabbers, so these are just my thoughts.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 16:37 »
If I hear anything I will most certainly update you here.  This loss is particularly heartbreaking because Lucifer was born at a bridge nest site and the survival rate there for offspring isn't very good.   Lucifer was the first offspring to be heard of surviving in the many years his dad Mac has been nesting at the bridge.   

I think he was released far too soon after that serious an injury and surgery but they were a small operation and didn't have the experience or means to keep him longer to get him back to peak condition - which I didn't find out until later.  And to be released in a hostile situation didn't help matters but it is what it is and nothing will bring him back.  If I had known that at the time I would have offered to pay to have him transferred to OWL who have rehabilitated many of our falcons but it is what it is.   

At least he died a free bird - that's what I console myself with.  He did leave behind 3 kids - very small and underweight but miracles do happen and maybe someday we will hear of one of them.  I am grateful that Mystery has a new mate, she went hungry many times trying to feed those babies in the relentless heat on her own.  It's thanks to her tenacity that they survived to fledge.  It can be such a hard life out there for them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 16:40 by carly »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 23:59 »
Just posted, Lucifer is dead  :'( :'( :'(

Hobbitstee Wildlife Refuge
11 mins

It is with great sadness we have to announce that I just received a picture via text confirming the death of the Kitchener Peregrine Falcon that we released last week.

I am unsure on how or why he died at the moment.

Thank you to Carly and Alison for following Lucifer’s progress and posting the updates; I’m so sorry to hear that he was found deceased. :'(

Lucifer must have felt such relief to be able to fly so high and be free again, and I imagine he was anxious to be with his mate again ... but far too soon, it was all over ... :'(

And I can't help considering that Lucifer might have been in a fight with Mystery's new mate, though we may never know what actually caused of his death. However, if any further information should be found, I hope it will be shared here.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 21:21 »
Oh no, that’s very sad.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 19:00 »
Just posted, Lucifer is dead  :'( :'( :'(

11 mins

It is with great sadness we have to announce that I just received a picture via text confirming the death of the Kitchener Peregrine Falcon that we released last week.

I am unsure on how or why he died at the moment.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 15:57 »
I sure hope he’s ok.  It seems there is a shortage of happy peregrine stories this year.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 18:06 »
Update to Lucifer's release:

A friend went down there today and Mystery has a new mate - an unbanded male.  They didn't' do their homework and released him at the site so hopefully he wasn't' re-inured by the new male and made it out safely.  I know he'd go back anyway but at least from afar he'd have seen there was another male there and not been ambushed *sigh*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 12:02 »
Lucifer is free!  He was released yesterday at his nest site in Kitchener!

After 92 days of absence the CTV Kitchener Peregrine has returned to the skies also.

Although it appeared he had some trouble gaining height after he flew from the box making me hold my breath he made up for it by flying up pretty much vertically as only a Peregrine can a bit later (not on video).

We are grateful for our team of awesome vets at OVC Small Animal Clinic and Scott Veterinary Clinic who did all the surgical work to make his recovery possible.

https://www.facebook.com/Hobbitstee/videos/712323442453979/?t=0

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 18:16 »
Great news about Lucifer!