Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane  (Read 18996 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 13:22 »
I did miss that you had seen a 2 and Y on the female's band.  Certainly increases the odds that it is Hurricane.  

Of the the 2x over Y birds - only three are female (so far as we know) - Hurricane (23/Y), Chinook (24/Y) and Fate (25/Y).  Haven't heard from/of either Chinook or Fate so definitely adds to the evidence that it is Hurricane back again this year.

I have no doubt she'll show you (and your camera) her full band very soon!!  ;D

And though I like that Sol has survived, I would like to see Brooklyn come home, such a pretty bird and a good partner for Hurricane.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 15:23 »
Karma, Kismet and Luck were the three females from 2009, Fate was the only male.  I really kind of doubt that Chinook is the female falcon at the McKenzie building this year. I am very sure the birdie in question is Hurricane. Looks like her, she sits in all the her regular places. I have been watching her since she arrived in 2009.  I hope you can give me a little bit of credit when I tell you who l think it is being that I could read most of her band number. Of course I could be wrong.....nobody is perfect.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 17:34 »
After several years reading this forum. I believe in the boots on the ground. Thank you RCF for all of your reports and photos. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 22:47 »
I think you are probably right about Hurricane too but with Sol turning up in Brandon and Faith and Bristol out this way you all know I like to be sure of band numbers just in case.  I have no doubt she'll eventually flash her leg band while you have your camera on her and it will prove without a doubt it is Hurricane home again for an eighth year.

And you are absolutely right about Fate - I was mixing him up with Luck who turned up here in Winnipeg on migration!  Thanks for catching that  :D

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 13:11 »
So hoping Brooklyn returns......they make such a great couple!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 19:16 »

Well, I am thinking that Hurricane isn't waiting for Brooklyn, I saw her and Sol mate this morning. I also saw them tandem hunting yesterday afternoon around 6:30pm just east of downtown above a field by the river. They were both diving on a whitish bird, not sure if it was a pigeon or a gull. All three birds disappeared after descending towards the ground. I sat and watched for a bit and no birds flew up, so I figured they must have captured whatever they were after.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 19:35 »
 :'(   Oh well, whatever will be, will be! The choice is hers and I wish her the best no matter who she chooses.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 20:00 »
Hurricane and Sol (on the left) at the bottom of the clock tower yesterday.

Hurricane on the communications tower.

]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:17 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 08:01 »

Well, I am thinking that Hurricane isn't waiting for Brooklyn, I saw her and Sol mate this morning. I also saw them tandem hunting yesterday afternoon around 6:30pm just east of downtown above a field by the river. They were both diving on a whitish bird, not sure if it was a pigeon or a gull. All three birds disappeared after descending towards the ground. I sat and watched for a bit and no birds flew up, so I figured they must have captured whatever they were after.   

Well that sounds like she might know something we don't.  There's also been some research recently that looked at pre-return liaisons between peregrines as a kind of foreplay before they come home to their mates.  Haven't read any of the research but was chatting to one of the peregrine folks down south about it recently.  If Brooklyn returns that could, I suppose, mean a shorter courtship to get everyone in the mood. 

Will be interesting to watch this one - more interesting for us, more work for you I'm afraid RCF!!  ;) ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25 »
RCF has been hard at work and she has managed to postitively and definitively ID Hurricane's band number!  She's also been figuring what Sol likes to do and where he likes to hang out so I'm sure she will be sharing some of his antics and adventures over the next little while!  Even though it seems like every bird would like to sit in the same places that just isn't the way it works most of the time and it will be interesting to see how Sol differs from Brooklyn and from Zeus all of whom are Brandon-hatched males!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12 »
Interesting and fascinating. One never knows what the birds will do.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 16:04 »
We have been watching since April 4th and have tried to convince ourselves that the male is Brooklyn. There was just something off about this bird, he wasn't perching where Brooklyn usually did, also the breast feathers and malars were different. Today I got the band number. It is not Brooklyn, it is Sol D/20 from 2012, Hurricane and Brooklyn's son. We are glad that he survived the last four years but saddened that Brooklyn has not returned as of yet.

Thank you for all of your reports and photos RCF.

I am also feeling very sad that Brooklyn has not been seen yet. :(

It's really nice to know that Sol is doing well and I want the best for all of our falcons, but of course I hope this situation will not result in a father/son battle down the road.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 19:27 »
The other day when I was watching, Hurricane was in the nest box chupping where I could only see her head. Sol flew up to it and then as he got to edge he bolted.  ::)  She didn't come out right away so probably making a scrape. When she did come out she was talking to him or yelling.

Anyway I remembered that she has a distinguishing feature at the back of her neck or nape, she has a white feather that has always been there.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:21 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 19:34 »
This morning Hurricane was perched on the nest box and Sol was right above on the McKenzie roof ledge.

After work she was at the bottom of the clock tower napping, he was on the south light.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:23 by RCF »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 12:30 »
thanks RCF :-*
I know it is bittersweet.
But Ivy took over when Trey did not return, so you have good genes here

I think you probably have nice jeans also LOL

Our poor migrating a birds face so many things, hail, hurricanes , owls etc. but I believe he is with MIss Edmonton sipping cool ones on a beach :-*