Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane  (Read 29461 times)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12 »
Interesting and fascinating. One never knows what the birds will do.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25 »
RCF has been hard at work and she has managed to postitively and definitively ID Hurricane's band number!  She's also been figuring what Sol likes to do and where he likes to hang out so I'm sure she will be sharing some of his antics and adventures over the next little while!  Even though it seems like every bird would like to sit in the same places that just isn't the way it works most of the time and it will be interesting to see how Sol differs from Brooklyn and from Zeus all of whom are Brandon-hatched males!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 08:01 »
So hoping Brooklyn returns......they make such a great couple!

Well, I am thinking that Hurricane isn't waiting for Brooklyn, I saw her and Sol mate this morning. I also saw them tandem hunting yesterday afternoon around 6:30pm just east of downtown above a field by the river. They were both diving on a whitish bird, not sure if it was a pigeon or a gull. All three birds disappeared after descending towards the ground. I sat and watched for a bit and no birds flew up, so I figured they must have captured whatever they were after.   

Well that sounds like she might know something we don't.  There's also been some research recently that looked at pre-return liaisons between peregrines as a kind of foreplay before they come home to their mates.  Haven't read any of the research but was chatting to one of the peregrine folks down south about it recently.  If Brooklyn returns that could, I suppose, mean a shorter courtship to get everyone in the mood. 

Will be interesting to watch this one - more interesting for us, more work for you I'm afraid RCF!!  ;) ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 20:00 »
Hurricane and Sol (on the left) at the bottom of the clock tower yesterday.

Hurricane on the communications tower.

]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:17 by RCF »

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 19:35 »
 :'(   Oh well, whatever will be, will be! The choice is hers and I wish her the best no matter who she chooses.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 19:16 »

Well, I am thinking that Hurricane isn't waiting for Brooklyn, I saw her and Sol mate this morning. I also saw them tandem hunting yesterday afternoon around 6:30pm just east of downtown above a field by the river. They were both diving on a whitish bird, not sure if it was a pigeon or a gull. All three birds disappeared after descending towards the ground. I sat and watched for a bit and no birds flew up, so I figured they must have captured whatever they were after.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 13:11 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 22:47 »
I think you are probably right about Hurricane too but with Sol turning up in Brandon and Faith and Bristol out this way you all know I like to be sure of band numbers just in case.  I have no doubt she'll eventually flash her leg band while you have your camera on her and it will prove without a doubt it is Hurricane home again for an eighth year.

And you are absolutely right about Fate - I was mixing him up with Luck who turned up here in Winnipeg on migration!  Thanks for catching that  :D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 17:34 »
After several years reading this forum. I believe in the boots on the ground. Thank you RCF for all of your reports and photos. :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 15:23 »
Karma, Kismet and Luck were the three females from 2009, Fate was the only male.  I really kind of doubt that Chinook is the female falcon at the McKenzie building this year. I am very sure the birdie in question is Hurricane. Looks like her, she sits in all the her regular places. I have been watching her since she arrived in 2009.  I hope you can give me a little bit of credit when I tell you who l think it is being that I could read most of her band number. Of course I could be wrong.....nobody is perfect.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 13:22 »
I did miss that you had seen a 2 and Y on the female's band.  Certainly increases the odds that it is Hurricane.  

Of the the 2x over Y birds - only three are female (so far as we know) - Hurricane (23/Y), Chinook (24/Y) and Fate (25/Y).  Haven't heard from/of either Chinook or Fate so definitely adds to the evidence that it is Hurricane back again this year.

I have no doubt she'll show you (and your camera) her full band very soon!!  ;D

And though I like that Sol has survived, I would like to see Brooklyn come home, such a pretty bird and a good partner for Hurricane.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 04:45 »
Your previous post stated "the 2 and the Y and sure as sure it's Hurricane."  Did you mean to type "3" and not "2"?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 18:55 »
I also found this from 2013

We have banded 8 birds with 2x over Y.

This sequence of bands is for males.  We do we know we have one female who was banded as a male in this sequence (Hurricane) and maybe two (Hurricane's sib Chinook, status unknown).  All the others are male - Brooklyn (survived), Max (unknown), Ty (survived), Tupper (unknown), Fate (unknown) and Mac (deceased).

According to this post, doesn't it seem logical that it could only be Hurricane with a 3 and a Y.

Mac..........20/Y
Brooklyn....21/Y
Ty.............22/Y
Hurricane....23/Y
Chinook......24/Y
Fate...........25/Y
Tupper.......27/Y

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,3395.msg91253.html#msg91253

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 18:39 »
RCF - Have we got a band number confirmed on Hurricane this year?  

I was looking at your nice flight photo and it occurred to me that the cheek patch on the right (her right) side looks a lot smaller/darker than we have on record for her ...  ???

Plus I did get most of her band number.....the 2 and the Y and sure as sure it's Hurricane.

I guess you missed reading where I posted her partial band number in my previous post. ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 18:56 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 17:01 »
RCF - Have we got a band number confirmed on Hurricane this year? 

I was looking at your nice flight photo and it occurred to me that the cheek patch on the right (her right) side looks a lot smaller/darker than we have on record for her ...  ???