Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane  (Read 28115 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2016, 14:43 »
Severe Thunderstorm Watch   
Issued at 13:05 Tuesday 19 July 2016   

Summary

Conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, damaging hail and heavy rain.

An area of thunderstorms over Lake Manitoba is expected to weaken as they track into the Interlake this afternoon. Meanwhile, an increasing warm and unstable airmass is spreading over southwest Manitoba this afternoon and is expected to lead to the development of severe thunderstorms. Thunderstorms are expected to diminish this evening.

###

Very large hail can damage property, break windows, dent vehicles and cause serious injury. Very strong wind gusts can damage buildings, down trees and blow large vehicles off the road.

Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2016, 22:26 »
Calvin fledged, not sure if he fledged today or yesterday. I saw him fly from the northeast pillar over to the tower, missed his landing on the tower then just went to the roof. He went to the back of the building and was there for maybe five minutes. He flew back across the street to the southeast pillar. Didn't see any other flying after that except from mom and dad.

Thank you RCF, your photos are fantastic!  8)  Way to go, young Calvin!  :D 

By the way, that’s a cute pigeon in the photo with Calvin - kinda looks like they’re hanging out together!  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2016, 22:13 »

Hobbes has been flying quite a bit today. I guess he's getting the hang of it, he put Hurricane off her perch on the communications tower.  ;D

You’re lucky Hobbes … Hurricane wouldn’t take that from just anyone! ;D

Thank you for keeping watch on them. It’s great to know Manitoba Conservation is nearby when help is needed, and I felt that was super obliging of Allison to come out and watch Hobbes along with you and Rose last Friday.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2016, 18:48 »
Calvin fledged, not sure if he fledged today or yesterday. I saw him fly from the northeast pillar over to the tower, missed his landing on the tower then just went to the roof. He went to the back of the building and was there for maybe five minutes. He flew back across the street to the southeast pillar. Didn't see any other flying after that except from mom and dad.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:56 by RCF »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2016, 07:53 »
Wonderful pics RCF!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2016, 17:26 »
Hobbes has been flying quite a bit today. I guess he's getting the hang of it, he put Hurricane off her perch on the communications tower.  ;D

I haven't seen Calvin fly yet, or should I say he hasn't taken the leap off the building. I did see him fly from one side of the roof to the other and has been doing some flapping up on the pillars.

Calvin

Calvin and Hobbes
 Hobbes is the yeller
  ;D

I took these from the Eighth Street Bridge soon to be demolished. Not sure which chick it is but is lying on the old Hack Box they used to hack chicks from many years ago.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:50 by RCF »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2016, 05:51 »
Hobbes has fledged and made us all nervous for a few hours.

Here he is walking the wall

Yikes, what a stressful day for all of you! Your story sounds unbelievable RCF, but hey - you’ve got some beautiful photos to prove otherwise!  ;D     

I’ve seen stories of birds who were quite capable of climbing walls and actually seemed to be enjoying it, though I’ve yet to witness seeing that for myself (well, I might have seen it somewhat though not for more than a couple seconds), but Hobbes appeared to be holding on like a pro! How lucky it was that he turned out to be so talented at wall walking and then still had the strength to get himself safely off the narrow window ledge; he’s a remarkable young falcon. Thanks for sharing all the excitement RCF, have a great day!

I hope that things continue well - wonder what Calvin was up to while Hobbes was busy trying out his interest in flying.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:48 by RCF »

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2016, 22:35 »
Incredible pictures!  Amazing story!  So glad he made it ok.  Thanks so much for posting.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2016, 20:29 »
Hobbes has fledged and made us all nervous for a few hours. The first time he flew he ended up on the walkway connecting the Annex bldg to the McKenzie bldg. There is no problem getting on the Annex bldg from there. He was safe there!  But no, he couldn't stay there and flew across the street then flew back but losing height each time. So now he is on a two story ledge. He tried to climb the wall at one point...hanging on with his feet. I had called Allison at Manitoba Conservation and left a message. She came down and watched with us. While we watched he flew to a small window with a very small ledge on one of the walkway windows, not a good place to be!  :o

We really thought he was going to come to the ground as he scrambled a few times to stay on the window ledge. You could hear his talons scraping the window. He was boxed in on three sides and the only way out was to go up or fly east or come to the ground. He surprised us and flew out and over to the mts building. Big sigh of relief from all three of us! Rose and Allison left and I stayed for a bit and watched Hobbes fly back over to the Annex building.

Here he is walking the wall

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:47 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2016, 16:28 »
One of these chicks has fledged, don't know which one it was. I only saw it flying after Sol between the McKenzie building and the Scotia bank building. I didn't see either of them after that. Hurricane was perched at the bottom of the clock tower never moving so I can only assume one was still on the lower roof.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37 »
??? Have the chicks been named?

Yes, they have.  And even though they haven't fledge yet and I'm twitchy about publishing their names, everyone else has been named so here goes ... Calvin (red tape) and Hobbes (no tape/silver).  As RCF's photo showed they are busy popping around on the roof of the building which is great for building their strength and figuring out what the big flappy things are for.  KNOCK ON WOOD it serves them well when they decide to take their first flights!

Cute names. :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2016, 16:53 »
This is a general comment regarding all of the chicks, but I am putting it in this section. The names of the chicks at all sites are great and the family portraits are so cute.  :-*

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2016, 12:08 »
awwwwe so cute.  Names fit perfect.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52 »
2016 McKenzie Seeds Chick Portrait

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2016, 08:55 »
Loving Calvin and Hobbes!  Great choice! :D