Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane  (Read 28106 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2016 / Sol & Hurricane
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2016, 17:49 »
Really lovely photos!
What absolutely great pics, RCF!

Thank you ladies!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2016, 12:59 »
Really lovely photos!

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2016, 17:05 »
What absolutely great pics, RCF!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2016, 19:31 »
A few photos of the McKenzie Falcons.

Sol on the left (north) Hurricane on the right (south)

Reverse seating in this one.

Hurricane

Sol

The Chicks

I especially liked this photo of Hurricane.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 20:03 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2016, 19:17 »
It's the end of the season for our falcons here in Brandon, I haven't seen one since Oct 7th.

The last time I saw Calvin was September 16th.

Hobbes on the other hand stayed until Oct 4th.

Sol stayed until Oct 5th. He seemed to like the north light on the clock tower, that would be the very spot I first saw him in the spring of this year.

Last but not least, Hurricane stayed the longest and was here until Oct 7th.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 20:01 by RCF »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2016, 04:49 »
Hurricane is sneaky and hides where she is not that visible to the chicks and I see her do this almost every year. She hides under the black/green ledge......today on the southeast corner.  ;D 

So everyone seems to be just fine after the storm blew through here yesterday afternoon.

Hahaha! What a character Calvin is proving to be, and this year, Hurricane probably has even more reason to hide from the chicks. ;D  Love the photos!

Good to know that you and the peregrines were fine after that terrible storm passed through.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:52 by burdi »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46 »
Well done with the photos RCF!  It definitely seems like Calvin is living up to his namesake - all I could think of was Calvin dragging Hobbes into that red wagon and launching it down some nearby hill.  :o  Hopefully Hobbes turns out to be just as pragmatic as his namesake.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2016, 19:03 »
TPC, thanks for the weather updates last night. Wicked storm!
RCF, your photos are stunning and thanks for sharing them.   :) :)
Love the names!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2016, 18:03 »
I think we may have a little daredevil named Calvin here. There is a walkway joining the two buildings above the loading dock. There is a space between the dock and the walkway, maybe 12 feet. Anyway after putting Hurricane off her perch at the bottom of the clock tower we saw Calvin fly through the opening between the dock and walkway. It looked like he went very low on the other side. I went around to see where he went and there he was sitting on some wires that are joined to both buildings, so of course he was just fine.

Hurricane is sneaky and hides where she is not that visible to the chicks and I see her do this almost every year. She hides under the black/green ledge......today on the southeast corner.  ;D 

So everyone seems to be just fine after the storm blew through here yesterday afternoon.

Hurricane before Calvin put her off her perch

Hiding from the kids.

Calvin

Hobbes                                                                   

Sol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 20:00 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2016, 10:24 »
Hey RCF - hope you and the peregrines weathered the storm okay ...

Brandon Sun - Storm rolls across region

If you can't access the story (some stories you need a subscription to read), here's the text ...

A lively, booming thunderstorm kept storm watchers on their toes province-wide Wednesday evening, bringing heavy rain, hail and several funnel clouds to Westman. The storm developed in the southwestern corner of Manitoba — lighting up social media feeds as it tracked east across the south of the province.

Environment Canada meteorologist Terri Lang said funnel clouds were seen from several locations, and a brief touchdown near Hartney, about 80 km southwest of Brandon, was reported. In Melita, another 60 km southwest, Lang said golf- to tennis ball-sized hail was reported.

Environment Canada issued a tornado watch in Brandon at about 5 p.m. By then, the dark sky had forced street lights on: above, the clouds swirled slowly, dark grey with streaks of turquoise.  In the span of the span of an hour, the temperature dropped to 19 C, quenching a steamy day where the humidex peaked at 44 C in the Wheat City.  By 5:30 p.m. the sky opened up, dousing the city with rain — as much as 44 mm in the west end of town and 25 mm at Brandon Municipal Airport, Lang said.  

Many city streets flooded for a short period.  "It all fell in a very brief period of time, which is usually what causes the flooding," Lang said.

Environment Canada also received reports of marble- and golf ball-sized hail for the Brandon area. The thunderstorm watch was ended at 6:19 p.m. for Brandon.

Some corn plants south of Wawanesa, standing about five feet tall, were pushed over by the storm, some with broken stalks and others with leaves punctured by hail.  Both Rossendale and Long Plain, located south of Portage la Prairie, reported funnel clouds touching down, said Lang, which corroborated evidence of rotation that meteorologists were noting in weather maps.

Lang said the storm had lost most of its potential for tornados by the time it reached Winnipeg, but was still capable of producing strong wind, rain and hail.

» tbateman@brandonsun.com
» Twitter: @tombatemann

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition July 21, 2016

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2016, 09:46 »
Both of the chicks seem to be flying well as of this afternoon. They were chasing each other and playing talon tag and yelling a lot.  ;D

Fun to watch for sure!

Thanks for the great photos RCF, it sure looks like they’re having fun! I can only imagine how exhilarating it must feel as they realize their capabilities! They were probably saying - look mom! look dad! ... see what I can do?  ;D

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:58 by RCF »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2016, 05:57 »
I'm so captivated by your photos RCF! They are amazing. Do you post on Flickr?

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2016, 20:01 »
Absolutely wonderful shots of the kiddies !  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2016, 16:40 »
Both of the chicks seem to be flying well as of this afternoon. They were chasing each other and playing talon tag and yelling a lot.  ;D

Fun to watch for sure!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 19:57 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2016, 14:48 »
Hurricane fledged in 2007 right at the time of the Elie F5 tornado, so if weather-smart is genetic, her kids have them in abundance!!

Tuck down and stay safe Calvin & Hobbes!  Hurricane & Sol too of course! ;D