Author Topic: AB / Red Water - Nutrien - 2016-22  (Read 6689 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Red Water - Agrium - 2018 / Bill & Charlotte
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 12:34 »
egg 2

may17 at just before 7pm . they are attending egg as they should Bill was excited

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 20:36 »
yeah  ;D

may15 we have egg one . cam was frozen at 5:08am an d when it came back up 2:20pm may15 , we had an egg. so sometime between those hours.

What a nice surprise!  ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 19:40 »
yeah  ;D

may15 we have egg one . cam was frozen at 5:08am an d when it came back up 2:20pm may15 , we had an egg. so sometime between those hours.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 03:15 »
here are some nice shots of N53. she was a beauty. she was born in 2015 at misrecordia , Edmonton. died too soon
Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures of N53. I'm so sad to read about her loss.  :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 00:51 »
here are some nice shots of N53. she was a beauty. she was born in 2015 at misrecordia , Edmonton. died too soon

compliments of Emmy

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 22:36 »
it has been a tough 2.5 weeks here. never knowing who was coming into box.  witnessing fighting, and them getting reports by RFO falcon.  He and his crew are very devoted here.
Peter and I will go up , once things settle down at all sites, and see things for ourselves.

will come back and post some nice shots of N53.

It could easily have been Charlotte.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 13:24 »
So very sad to hear about N53.  I know it is nature at work, but it breaks my heart to hear of a territorial fight taking a life.  :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 12:18 »
Bev, I an so very sorry to read of the loss of N53. It is infinitely sad to have lost her in this way. Poor N53; all she wanted was to have a place to nest and raise chicks of her own.  :'( :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 02:31 »
may4th

It is with heavy heart that I announce that N53 is deceased. :'(

we knew that it might not end well as K14 and N53 had been battling for site for over 2.5 weeks.
may 1, they were both at box and looked no worse for wear. they had a battle on stringer, but  both survived.  may 2 , we only had charlotte at nestbox. this is how it went with them, they seemed to take a day to regroup.

may 3rd, we only had Charlotte at box, but at 9 am I received a picture from  R of falcon ( responsible for getting cam and he and his workers, closely monitor the  site. they are very good for this site, and keep us well informed of things we cannot see.)
the picture showed a dead bird on stringers, possibly a dead falcon. this was not there the day before. It had to have happened early morning  May3rd. anyhow, I had mentioned that our remaining   2 birds appeared spooked . So they very quickly and efficiently retrieved bird from  stringer this morning(may4th)
It was the body of N53.

I will post a few pictures of her at her best tomorrow. need time to digest all of this

but K14( charlotte) and Bill are bonding in box now

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 20:03 »
we had quite the awful day yesterday of fighting between N53 from last year and K14(charlotte) from 2016.

was not nice.
we have had a long 2 weeks of fighting. So I hope it is settled , with everyone in tact. Charlotte looks now worse for wear. bill is a very good male but we had fighting between males a week and a half ago also.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 09:58 »
K/14 at her nest this morning:

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 16:36 »
Wow, that is a big yellow-headed blackbird - even more impressed they managed to maneuver it into the nestbox through the bars!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 13:08 »
april30

well charlotte(K/14 ) has been here for last 3 days. sh e was here in 2016( 2013 hatch from  Weber, mother Miss Edmonton, father DO1. we rescued her form ground and she was released on Pembina hack)) . last year we had M/53(2015 hatch from  misrecordia in Edmonton) . they boht fought in air thisyear. last saw M/53 on april27.

nice food exchange thi s morning
male

charlotte and male

charlotte with the prize

male

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:30 »
Nope far from all fights result in deaths. 

We've had (that we know about) three serious fights between resident pairs in the last four years, maybe four.  Beau & Ty at West Winnipeg, Faith & Joli at the Radisson, possibly Faith & Joli again in the fall at Logan but we'll never know for sure, and Faith and Ella this spring at West Winnipeg.  Given Faith has had two nestbox fights in her 3 years here in town, it increases the possibility that she Joli had a run in last fall but I don't want to blame with proof.  Faith's first fight with Joli at the Radisson was 2 females competing over a male at a nestsite that was none of theirs to squabble over.  Her fight this spring with Ella was over her nestsite and mate from the last 2 years - despite her attachment to Hart, that's hardwiring that's hard to ignore!  As for possibly fighting with Joli again - its not the first fight Joli's been in - Princess stomped on her a couple of years before when she tried to take over the Radisson box.  Even our sainted Princess has run afoul of someone in a fight.  She was not as badly injured as Beau but she did spend 3-4 days inside the Radisson box and looked like heck and for the rest of the summer I could see her "scars" so to speak.  All moulted out and perfect when she came back the next year.  She's maintained her iron grip since then. As for fights out of nestboxes, we've had lots of those - not sure we haven't had a pair not mount an aerial campaign to defend their nestsite.  Once you get past how disturbing it is to watch, they are surprising careful about not injuring their opponent badly because they are just as likely to hurt themselves as they are their opponent in the process. 

So territorial fights are a) not as uncommon as we would like, b) involve a range of ferocity and c) are mostly not fatal. 
Even know all that rationally, finding a bird dead from fighting over a patch of gravel is extraordinarily sad.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 15:49 »
so I have been away but fighting in air and box. Females fighting in air and a scuffle in box, between males,. my friend closely monitored and recorded for me.

as of today we have a  no band male( not sure if Bill)  and K over 14 . she laid 4 eggs here in 2o16 and Gord took eggs as a preacation as she did not show too much interest in eggs. He gave them a chick. she was a good mom . bill id an excellent job of incubating.

last year , I di d think she was back and cams went off for 3 weeks and voila , in enters N53. cams went donw but Rof falcon  kept an eye fo r us.
I bleieve they had 4 young.

so some think when there are turnovers, and one  one has been ousted , that they fight to death.  this shows , not so.

so we will wait and see what happens. have only seen Charlotte once today.

bonding

male

charolotte( she hs a few battle scars, like her motherr MIss Edmonton did )