Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2016 / Bula & Diamond  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2016 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 15:05 »
During the night I saw what looked like eggshell in front of Diamond. Morning confirmed that this is indeed eggshell, although I have not yet seen a chick.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 15:03 »
Part of an update posted by Cilla Kinross on October 2:

Bula is missing?

I may be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve recorded a sighting of Bula since 1300 on 30th September ie Friday.   This is not at all a good sign.  As far as I can tell Diamond has not had a feed since then (over two days) and, coupled with the frenzied activity on the Thursday, when I suspected an intruder, and the eggs were only irregularly incubated, I fear the worst.

And I don’t think that it is a coincidence that the box was visited by a strange female today, a very large bird that was instantly chased away (definitely not Bula).    I’d show you some stills, but the software is once again playing up.  I’ll send them to Scott and see if he can upload the stills or a videos.   I went around afterwards to see if I could see this bird again (or Bula) but all was quiet.   It could be an offspring from previous year.

Bad weather (and we’ve had plenty of that) does often lead to reproductive failure and so these problems may stem from difficulty in procuring food (they can’t complain of their nest getting wet!).   Or it may be that something has happened to Bula and he’s no longer able to hunt.

I did see Diamond having a meal in the early evening yesterday. She walked to the front of the nest box, and came back with a fairly small food offering, which took her only a few minutes to consume. She then returned  immediately to her eggs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
I’m hoping things go well here for Bula and Diamond. The following is an update from August 28, 2016, by Scott Banks:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/season-2016-is-underway/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 16:05 »

Diamond has her first egg for 2016!  :D

I saw her resting but when I returned shortly after - at 04:11 am (AEST), she was sitting up with an egg in front of her!

I’ve now searched for the actual arrival time of Diamond’s first egg - which appears to be 13:46 am AEST (about 25 minutes before I first spotted the egg).

l look forward to further updates from Scott and Cilla!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 14:22 »

Diamond has her first egg for 2016!  :D

I saw her resting but when I returned shortly after - at 04:11 am (AEST), she was sitting up with an egg in front of her!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 23:35 »

I’m just posting the latest updates from Cilla Kinross and Scott Banks.

Update by Cilla:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/index.php/do-we-have-a-male-chancing-his-arm/

Update by Scott:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/index.php/storms-and-cameras/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 22:18 »

Bula and Diamond are still the resident pair at this nest, and the breeding season is fast approaching.

I’m looking forward to another nesting season here! Scott Banks mentioned that they’re hoping to see eggs around the beginning of September!  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2016 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 03:02 »
Bula and Diamond are still the resident pair at this nest, and the breeding season is fast approaching.

Diamond was at the nest for a moment:

http://www.csu.edu.au/special/falconcam/Streams/camera-one.htm