Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85446 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 14:32 »
Yikes!  Would Princess have to fight one or both of these young females, TPC, or would they concede to the resident grande dame if/when she returns?

I don't think anyone will concede to anyone if Princess turns up ... at this point I think the Hotel is Joli's.  As for what would/will happen if/when Princess arrives home, well, she has held this territory for 12 years and it isn't the first time she's had pretenders to her throne ... we'll just have to see.

It was a serious territorial conflict but for a talons-on fight still looked relatively civilized compared to others I've seen.  That could be good for all the birds involved - or will be involved ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 14:24 »
Yikes!  Would Princess have to fight one or both of these young females, TPC, or would they concede to the resident grande dame if/when she returns?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 13:50 »
Oh wow, it sounds like Hart & Joli have staked their claim. - First time Princess isn't the obvious resident at the Radisson.  :( - I hate to think what might happen if she shows up now - Yikes.  :o - Fingers crossed all goes well all around!!!  8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 13:36 »

Both of these females are large and unwilling to back down without a fight.  Lots of foot holding, a bit of biting on the beaks, yelling and posturing but neither looked to have blood on them when the last fight ended.  Both birds seem to have flown away without any trouble.  Joli has been back to the box a couple of times and looked okay.  Princess had a hum-dinger of a fight a few years ago and she looked injured but was able to fly and after a couple of days of resting at and in the nestbox (without disturbance) she was right as rain.  Both Joli and Faith are younger so I think they should be fine.

And yes, we have let the rehab organizations know that the birds are back in town and to let us know if they receive any peregrines.
And yes, we are keeping a close eye on all our cameras to see who turns up where and how they look.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 13:11 »
Princess is definitely not in town and we haven't seen hide nor hair of Smiley either.

Hart and Joli are the pair making themselves at home at the Radisson over the last few days.  Joli seems to have driven out another bird that we are 99% sure is Spencer out of the territory on the weekend.  Didn't seem to be much of a fuss over that, the bird we are pretty sure was Spencer was at the Radisson and then an hour later, it was Joli.  Better part of valour on we-believe-Spencer's part given that Hart is around to back Joli up, not that Joli needs much backing up.  Joli proved that just before lunch when into town flew Faith and she made a beeline for the Radisson nestbox and she and Joli had a no-holds-barred knock-down, drag-out fight - actually 3 fights in the nestbox and who knows what kind of aerial combat.  Both seemed to be without obvious injury after their last round in the nestbox - no blood that I could see on feet, feathers or faces so hopefully it was more sound and fury than injurious.  Both birds have flown off - Joli has been back a couple of times so who knows.  Faith and Joli are very equally-matched, can't say it will be the last fight over the nestbox between these two.

This is the kind of spring excitement I could do without ....

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 11:49 »
Saw a bird sitting on the west nest at 7:10pm last night - and again at 9:40am this morning. - Whoever this is - they seem to have taken a liking to our prime spot!  ;) - Where are you Princess?  8)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26 »
I was downtown for the Jets game last night. 
Some very dark birdie was sitting on the nesting box for a good 1/2 hour around 6:00.
Then a little while later he/she was sitting on the southeast corner of the hydro building
overlooking the construction site.
The construction crew at True North were still working - could almost see birdie saying,
"so what are you guys up to now?
Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44 »
Saw somebirdie sitting on the west nest last night at 7pm, surveying the kingdom.  ;D - Brrrr, it was cold and windy. Hope he/she spent the night inside the box!! :)
Can't wait to find out who's back!!  8)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46 »
Peregrine Gallery 2017 has been created so bookmark the page...photos will be added as they become available.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2017

Cheers !

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28 »
Bird is sitting on the east side Hydro sign in the morning sun.  Too far away to say who it might be.  Know that a bird has been in/out of the box a couple of times this morning and though it is probably Hart but if new birds are starting to arrive, I'm going to hedge my bets when I can't actually read the band and say that it looks very much like Hart  ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 00:15 »
Princess is worth waiting for!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 23:27 »
Hip hip hooray! Such goods news that some PF's are back! The season has begun!  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 22:26 »
the Hotel had some interlopers today.  Dennis and I were there to add some new gravel to the nestbox - we'd taken most the gravel out last year and decided to hold off replacing it last fall because it would be frozen solid at this time of the year and given that Smiley is a rather poor scrape maker, we thought we'd wait until spring (aka now) and add new, dry, unfrozen gravel so that if Smiley returned (never a given any bird will return) that he would perhaps have an easier time of making a scrape and if Princess returned, that she would choose the nestbox over the nestledge ... she hasn't been there for a while so anything that helps keep her in the box is a good thing.  Knock on wood she returns and chooses the nestbox.  But we weren't the only interlopers, looks like we have two more birds in town - both look to be females. One I will definitely need to read the band number on, there are more than a couple of possibilities.  The other one, I'm pretty sure I know who it is but I'd like love to get a second look ... perhaps tomorrow she'll still be around and cooperative.  Oh, and the male that has been around since last Saturday is definitely Hart.  What I can say is that Princess is definitely not home yet but it is early days yet, this is about when our birds start to return and with the warmer weather over the next two weeks we have more returnees very soon ...

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 13:43 »
I knew I should have checked before now! Soooo hoping for Princess to return.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 15:54 »
Better rest up Tracey, you won't get much rest from now on...

Welcome back, feathered friend.