Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85433 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 14:49 »
hoping it is princess as her daughter is home in Edmonton( there again , we have not ID bands but all actions etc, point to her. We will try scoping this weekend)

:-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 13:46 »
Okay, long post here. 

On Wednesday (the 22nd) Faith and Joli had a series of knock-down, drag-out (almost literally) fights in the Radisson nestbox.  Since then there haven't been anymore fights on-camera at any of the nestsites we are monitoring.  Yesterday (24th) Joli was hanging out at her nestbox at Logan much more regularly.  And as Dupre & Cooper have reported Faith had been in West Winnipeg since the Thursday but it wasn't until this morning (Saturday) that she actually turned up on-camera at the nestbox. 

So why the detail about Joli and Faith comings and goings?  Well at noon on Thursday a bird made a very brief visit to the Radisson nestbox and though I can't be sure until it lets me read its band, my feeling is that it is Princess.  So am I breaking my own rule about IDing birds without a band number? Sort of but I hope not really.  Folks are concerned about Faith and Joli fighting and what would happen to the much older Princess when/if she returns, so in the interest of helping folks feel a bit less concerned, I am reporting we have another bird in town and although I'm not sure it is Princess, the bird looks to have the right band combinations on the correct legs and the facial/body markings look right (when it lets me see him/her).  Add to that the behaviour of this new bird - hanging out on the Hydro B (Faith, Joli & Hart haven't done that this year), the JR sign (no one has done that but her), lunching on the east side ledge and hanging out on the west side Radisson sign. And Princess has always been the hardest bird to get a band number on camera - usually we have to rely on Dennis to charm her long enough to get her band number.  Add on top of all that that Faith and Joli have gone back to their own territories - neither one had shown any interest in their own boxes before the 23rd and since then they have both spend hours hanging out there.  Remember, females fight females so though Hart is a trooper, he really isn't any real help during a fight between females in a nestbox. 

We have seen Hart and Faith and Joli and they are all fine, no limping or signs of distress so I am confident that they are doing fine after the dust-up on the Wednesday.  As for the bird I think, might just be Princess at the Radisson, bird is totally serene and unperturbed.  If I am right and it is Princess, sure shows you that there is more to holding a territory than being the first bird home, or be willing to fight.  Sometimes you just need to turn up.

So until we can confirm this new bird's identity, yes, I think, it could, just might, possibly be Princess. And folks can stop being concerned that the fighting over the Radisson will get worse ... it looks like Faith and Joli have retired to their respective corners and the Radisson is currently conflict-free.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 19:45 »
they always manage to straighten things out and everyone has a place to go. lets us hope this continues.

I will be looking to  see if Princesses daughter returns to us again this year. ours have nto returned as of yet but will be checking agian this weekend

fingers crossed :-*

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 17:35 »
Thank you for all the updates regarding our peregrines as they return, TPC.

I'm happy to hear that Joli has moved along (at least for now) and I hope that Joli and Faith are both OK. It's still early in the season though and things may change once more males arrive!

If Princess should return I certainly don't want her to be faced with a territorial fight; however, I'm doubtful she would be willing to settle for any site other than the one she has owned for so many years.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 17:43 by burdi »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 14:31 »
Was just looking out an office window. From a higher floor on Broadway I can see the top of the Radisson and the next box, although it's kinda far away. :-\
I saw 3 birds zooming around the skies above and around the Radisson. - Soaring, darting, swooping, up and down. They seem to be sticking to that area so I'm wondering if there's a territorial battle going on.  ??? - I hope not, and it's too far away to see the birds clearly. Maybe TPC has eyes on it.  8)

No fights in the nestbox today, couple of visits by Faith and Hart but so far all is quiet in the western nestbox!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 13:22 »
Was just looking out an office window. From a higher floor on Broadway I can see the top of the Radisson and the next box, although it's kinda far away. :-\
I saw 3 birds zooming around the skies above and around the Radisson. - Soaring, darting, swooping, up and down. They seem to be sticking to that area so I'm wondering if there's a territorial battle going on.  ??? - I hope not, and it's too far away to see the birds clearly. Maybe TPC has eyes on it.  8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19 »
Faith has decided she REALLY REALLY wants the Radisson nestbox.  Hart hopped in there a while back and then in she popped and they yammered and beaked each other (maybe courting maybe not) right at the back of the box.  Neither gave an inch.  Then he left and she has parted her but with her back to the Radisson wall in the outside part of the nestbox.  She is staking her claim and she's found a spot where she's got a good solid support behind her if Joli returns to press the issue.  So far all quiet ... Joli's been hanging out at the Logan site and by her nestbox there this morning so who knows ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 04:36 »
 :-[ :-[ :-[  I will worry for Princess, I was afraid this would happen.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 00:57 »
Faith came back for another close look at the Radisson nestbox.  She was alone in the box but there were a bunch of very fast fly-bys.  She looked fine and she was fairly obliging in that she stood in front of he camera long enough to get a good look at her.  Now feathers can hide a multitude of sins but she looked and acted none the worse for wear a few hours after her wrestling match with Joli in he nestbox earlier.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 16:13 »

Well that was very nice of the folks at the Midwest Peregrine Society to recognize all our hard work. 
Seems like just yesterday :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 15:45 »
This was posted yesterday by the Midwest Peregrine Society.

35 Years 's Success!

Today's highlight is celebrating Canada's contribution to peregrine recovery in the Upper Midwest. Since peregrines are such "wanderers", it shouldn't surprise anyone that Canadian birds may head south, in addition to US birds heading north.

Manitoba started releasing peregrines in 1981, and over the next 28 years, over 200 falcons were released to restore the population in the area. The Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/p-recovery.html) works with many agencies to monitor and band peregrines in the Province.

Finally, in 1989, Manitoba had their first successful fledging occur at the Delta Winnipeg Hotel (now the Radisson Hotel Skyline) in downtown Winnipeg. This nesting was the first recorded nesting in Manitoba in over 50 years, something to truly celebrate. Another interesting fact is that the female that nested here was "Maud", the first successful fledge in the Midwest since 1964!

Make sure to follow the recovery efforts at the link below. Thank you Tracy and everyone who works for and supports peregrines in Manitoba. GREAT JOB and continue the work!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1594285693933897&id=354352871260525

Nice to see some good recognition for the Winnipeg Peregrine Recovery Project, and very well deserved!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 15:39 »
Maybe because the Radisson was their original nesting grounds for most involved, or it's the highest, easiest to spot.  I hope Princess and Smiley are just delayed, and will figure out where they will nest if they do return.  It's very early in the season, and the veterans, maybe waiting for warmer weather.  

Whatever the outcome, hopefully there isn't to much ruffling of feathers to cause intervention of the Rehab centre.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 15:39 »
Wow, these are exciting times!  I'm glad it appears both birds are ok.  I am wondering why all the birds see the Radisson as the best spot?  It appears to consistently be the first place everyone goes to.

Territory has everything they need - food nearby, a nestsite, perching places, places to cache food and places to defend the nestsite from.  This was the first site to be occupied in 1988 and it has been occupied ever since - even when every other nestsite was empty, this site will have a bird at/on it during the nesting season.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 15:37 »
I hope that everything can be settled at this nest without injury to anyone. I also hope that Princess returns soon, before either Joli or Faith gets the idea that the nest is theirs. Each of them has a nest of their own to return to.

Come home, Princess!

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 15:27 »
Wow, these are exciting times!  I'm glad it appears both birds are ok.  I am wondering why all the birds see the Radisson as the best spot?  It appears to consistently be the first place everyone goes to.