Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85405 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2017, 14:48 »
While looking at the chick in the nest, up popped the head of another. So many feathers in the box, it was hard to tell some of the feathers belonged to a sibling.  ;D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42 »
just watched green-band gobble up some leftovers now and it's amazing how few white fluffy feathers she has left!  Her pantaloons still seem pretty fluffy, but her big-girl wings look ready to take off!  :o

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2017, 08:43 »
Thanks TPC, learning more and more everyday.  Wish we could see the chicks outside, I assume they are ok :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33 »
So sad to see chicks appear to be gasping. Temps now at 31C/87F and they are now getting the West sun. I know we see this annually, but I for one wish they had an AC. The forecast for tonight partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers late this evening and overnight with risk of a thunderstorm. Low 15.  :(

The chicks are fine - they aren't gasping, they are panting - other than their feet, that is the only place that birds have direct skin to air contact.  That's also why they lie belly down on the gravel when it is in the shade, it is cooler and the pebbles can get through their feathers next to their skin.

As for A/C at the nestbox, that would not be a good thing.  Part of what makes AC work is the passage of air over water that is constantly being cooled - in a space like a nestbox in hot weather there would be a build up of moisture/condensation and that would potentiall make a nestbox full of chick poop and dead birdie parts a soup for all sorts of pathogens which would not be good for the birds.  So the chicks follow the shade around the nestbox and nap - they are much more active early in the morning and evening/night when it is cooler.

And storms don't seem to phase peregrines - Hurricane in Brandon got her name because she and her siblings sat on the edge of the Radisson nestbox and watched the t-storms that birthed the Eli tornado.  And at this age, they like to dance in the rain - if it does rain this evening/tonight and if there is enough light I'll see if I can get a screen capture of them dance if they do.

Thanks for the wake up call, TPC. In my mind, I know everything you tell me. However, in these extremes, my human mother instincts takes over.  ::)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2017, 18:28 »
TPC, have I told you lately how awesome you are?!?  You explain everything so neatly and clearly and put to rest our anxieties about these little guys (who are really not so little ::) )

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2017, 17:12 »
So sad to see chicks appear to be gasping. Temps now at 31C/87F and they are now getting the West sun. I know we see this annually, but I for one wish they had an AC. The forecast for tonight partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers late this evening and overnight with risk of a thunderstorm. Low 15.  :(

The chicks are fine - they aren't gasping, they are panting - other than their feet, that is the only place that birds have direct skin to air contact.  That's also why they lie belly down on the gravel when it is in the shade, it is cooler and the pebbles can get through their feathers next to their skin.

As for A/C at the nestbox, that would not be a good thing.  Part of what makes AC work is the passage of air over water that is constantly being cooled - in a space like a nestbox in hot weather there would be a build up of moisture/condensation and that would potentiall make a nestbox full of chick poop and dead birdie parts a soup for all sorts of pathogens which would not be good for the birds.  So the chicks follow the shade around the nestbox and nap - they are much more active early in the morning and evening/night when it is cooler.

And storms don't seem to phase peregrines - Hurricane in Brandon got her name because she and her siblings sat on the edge of the Radisson nestbox and watched the t-storms that birthed the Eli tornado.  And at this age, they like to dance in the rain - if it does rain this evening/tonight and if there is enough light I'll see if I can get a screen capture of them dance if they do.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2017, 16:34 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2017, 17:04 »
They must be hot they are panting, and yes it is nasty up there too! :-[

Bit more breeze usually though - which only helps a little bit
All the chicks will be happy if it rains again today - and yes, we are under a severe thunder storm watch at the moment - not surprising when it is 37C with the humidex

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #284 on: July 04, 2017, 15:36 »
They must be hot they are panting, and yes it is nasty up there too! :-[

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2017, 13:37 »
What a VIEW they have now! - Soon they'll be venturing up on the EDGE of the ledge and giving us all heart attacks.  :P

You are so right. Every year, I just about jump out of my seat when they perch on the edge over the abyss. :o

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2017, 12:22 »
What a VIEW they have now! - Soon they'll be venturing up on the EDGE of the ledge and giving us all heart attacks.  :P

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2017, 08:54 »
As thunder, lightening, rain and wind approach, the chicks are hunkering down inside the nestbox. :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird