Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85436 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52 »
How's the little brother, TPC? 

A quick look at him last night didn't show any obvious injuries but I asked for him to be held overnight just to make sure all was good.  So long as he is fine later today I'll put him back in the box tomorrow morning - hopefully without scaring his sister too too much ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #323 on: July 10, 2017, 11:31 »
How's the little brother, TPC?

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2017, 11:29 »
thank you, hopefully all is good.  Mother nature will do what she has to do... pretty amazing

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23 »
I am really new at this...would Princess or Pip find them if the baby is crying.  Would they do anything?

Princess and Pip don't have any problem finding their kids when they call.  This is sort of standard.  It may not have been a graceful fledge but when they go, they go and then it is mostly up to Mom, Dad and the chick in question.  We really can't do much more than try to rescue them if they get into trouble but even then, sometimes there is nothing we can do, sometimes they don't really need our help - one of the Logan chicks provided that this year!!

When the chicks fledge, Princess and Pip will keep track of them, will feed them, will taunt them into following them and defend them if the chick is in trouble AND they can do it without injuring themselves.  Only takes the chicks a few days to get the basics of flying worked out and after about two weeks we generally don't have to worry about them as much.  Another month, six weeks after that the chicks will start taking trips out of town or across the country on their own.  So not much more time to watch them on-camera ...

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2017, 11:18 »
I am really new at this...would Princess or Pip find them if the baby is crying.  Would they do anything?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2017, 10:13 »
OH NO!!!  :o - Seems too soon! - Will you put them back in the nest TPC? - Hope you  can locate the sister!  :-\

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25 »
Good morning, I was very nervous watching them on the ledge, then running with their wings flapping.  Hope all is ok

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2017, 07:22 »
No news yet on the other sister that fledged - have checked all the nearby buildings but can't see anything.  Will keep checking through the day - sometimes as the light changes the chick will become visible.

As of fledge time yesterday, little brother was 36 days old and older sister was 40 days old.  That is the start time for fledging so the have the wings to be able to do, they just may not have been ready. 

More news as I have it.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2017, 06:29 »
Yup accidental fledge - little brother and one of the sisters - little brother was found on the ground and we got him off to rehab.  So far looks fine but holding him overnight to make sure.  Technically he's old enough to fledge and he isn't big so despite the white fuzzy feathers on him, this was kind of normal.  No news on the sister yet, we'll look for her again via camera at first light and have alerted all the rehab facilities that fledging season has begun!

:o Wingercising! This is the part I hate most leading up to a successful fledge. Hope to hear good news soon. Thanks for keeping us aware of all happenings, TPC!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2017, 22:46 »
Yup accidental fledge - little brother and one of the sisters - little brother was found on the ground and we got him off to rehab.  So far looks fine but holding him overnight to make sure.  Technically he's old enough to fledge and he isn't big so despite the white fuzzy feathers on him, this was kind of normal.  No news on the sister yet, we'll look for her again via camera at first light and have alerted all the rehab facilities that fledging season has begun!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2017, 21:01 »
Sorry folks, was working and couldn't get back to switch the cam for you earlier ...

And we've had an accidental fledge of at least one, but I suspect two of the chicks ... one has been picked up and I'm off to rehab with it, the other hopefully is higher but don't know where at the moment.

More news as I have it ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2017, 14:59 »
Outside cam is working?? - YAY!!!!!!!!  ;D- THANK YOU Eye Spy!!!  ;D :-* ;D 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2017, 14:17 »
Thanks for the view, Eye-Spy!  Do you have a EDF (estimated date of fledge), TPC?

Technically they are all old enough to fledge anytime ... they are 36-40 days old.  I suspect that it won't be for another few days at least, maybe as long as next weekend.  No one seems to be in a big rush this year - the Logan chicks were very late, even the male and the West Winnipeg chicks may be on the wall today but they haven't seemed much interested in jumping quite yet.  Today was the first day all three Radisson chicks were up on the box edge and they haven't figured out they can run down the ledge, but hey, the days not done yet ....

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2017, 11:55 »
Thanks for the view, Eye-Spy!  Do you have a EDF (estimated date of fledge), TPC?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2017, 09:20 »
The only disadvantage to the outside cam is watching them wingercising on the ledge. Be still my heart!  :o

I agree. Knowing they are meant to be up high, always helps to reassure me... BUT, when I read that Squeak, the AB chick fell 31 stories, my heart just about stopped!

Be safe little ones. :-*

Actually  :) Squeak is the Winnipeg (Logan) mom of the chick that ran into trouble from the Bell Tower in Edmonton.  Squeak is Pip's sister.  So many adults and chicks to keep track of now - hard to complain about that though  ;D