Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85437 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2017, 13:24 »
Phew, so glad 'other sister' has been found safe!!!  ;D - Hope she makes her way back to the nest, but I guess keeping any of them there for long is a lost cause. - Hopefully there will be no more accidental fledging though!  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2017, 13:08 »
As you can see, little brother is back home in the nestbox.  We were hoping the rain would keep her glued to the nestbox even when we got close and the parents started freaking out.  No rain but she didn't do anything foolish and we were very quick and minimalist in returning him to the nestbox.  It was all over in about 12 seconds.

And yes, the other sister is fine.  Dennis found her on his way to the Radisson as I was coming in with little brother.  She's next door, many storeys above the street and it appears no worse for wear and in no immediate or particular danger.

Remember, no news is good news :)  The no news on other sister was definitely good news!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52 »
The big girl looks as if she wants to go:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47 »
TPC was planning to put the boy back this morning so I'm guessing it's him. Glad to have him back!  ;D Poor sis was all by her lonesome. - Now we just need to find the other sister!  :-\

I'm sure you're right, Ballywing, that the male is the one who has been returned to the nest. When I see him side by side with his sister, he is quite a bit smaller.

They have both been dancing on the edge of the balcony.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2017, 11:13 »
TPC was planning to put the boy back this morning so I'm guessing it's him. Glad to have him back!  ;D Poor sis was all by her lonesome. - Now we just need to find the other sister!  :-\

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03 »
Is that the male that was in the hospital or did the female come back?

I don't know. Either one fledgling was returned to the nest,  or one made it back on their own. The one at the top of the image is the one who was not there earlier. He/she was not visible for long; I think he/she went into the nest, since the other chick was looking in that direction.

Hopefully TPC will have an update soon. I hope the missing girl is safe somewhere.

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51 »
Is that the male that was in the hospital or did the female come back?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2017, 10:38 »
This morning, one on the balcony:

As of a few minutes ago, there are two on the balcony.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2017, 10:33 »
From yesterday; the chick who decided to stay in the nest.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2017, 20:32 »
TPC, I remember a few years back when a fledgling got stuck in a (chimney?) and was heard by workers.  Luckily she/he was saved.  Is that place still a hazard or has it been taken care for for our fledglings.

Just curious. :-\

Nothing has been done at the site - but it isn't a common occurrence - it has happened twice in 35 years - first time the chimney was still in operation - no it didn't get toasted, the chimney was for heating so turned off and cleaned in the summer - the second time was with Beatrix a few days after she fledged.  I send an email around to folks who have had contacts with the peregrines in the past when they start fledging so they can check places like that - so far no reports.

A more fascinating one was the chick that got caught in a paint booth exhaust (about 18 inches wide) on the top of the old Eaton's building (now MTS Centre). The paint booth wasn't used any more but an employee on the floor below heard something odd and called us.  We went to check the roof and couldn't find anything.  Then just as we were leaving we walk past this exhaust (we had no idea what it was) we heard a little scratching.  No idea how the bird got in there but it did.  Heck can't even remember who that was now or who I was with but I seem to remember another set of hands ... going to have to do a little research now ....

I remember that one too!  I'm hoping she is found soon.  Thanks for the info.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2017, 17:31 »
TPC, I remember a few years back when a fledgling got stuck in a (chimney?) and was heard by workers.  Luckily she/he was saved.  Is that place still a hazard or has it been taken care for for our fledglings.

Nothing has been done at the site - but it isn't a common occurrence - it has happened twice in 35 years - first time the chimney was still in operation - no it didn't get toasted, the chimney was for heating so turned off and cleaned in the summer - the second time was with Beatrix a few days after she fledged.  I send an email around to folks who have had contacts with the peregrines in the past when they start fledging so they can check places like that - so far no reports.

A more fascinating one was the chick that got caught in a paint booth exhaust (about 18 inches wide) on the top of the old Eaton's building (now MTS Centre). The paint booth wasn't used any more but an employee on the floor below heard something odd and called us.  We went to check the roof and couldn't find anything.  Then just as we were leaving we walk past this exhaust (we had no idea what it was) we heard a little scratching.  No idea how the bird got in there but it did.  Heck can't even remember who that was now or who I was with but I seem to remember another set of hands ... going to have to do a little research now ....

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2017, 16:45 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2017, 15:51 »
Has anyone spotted either of the parents going to a different spot to maybe feed the missing chick?

I haven't see the adults at all but that isn't unusual - they tend to fly outside of camera range unless they are coming the nestbox.  It is warm outside, so I suspect everyone has found a perch to wait until it is cooler.  That is what they tend to do at least.  Chick might make her way back up to the nestbox this evening or tomorrow if she is okay and so inclined.  She's out there on her own which is, funnily enough, just as boring as hanging out in the nestbox of chicks.  No reports yet today but if I hear anything or see anything on camera, will post here.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41 »
Geez it's all too fast - they don't even have names yet!  :-\

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2017, 12:24 »
Has anyone spotted either of the parents going to a different spot to maybe feed the missing chick?