Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 38161 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline Pamela56

• Egg
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #391 on: July 16, 2017, 18:41 »
Thank you Old Bird, all the information you gave and reassurances put a smile on my face!  My little Peewee (younger brother) is ok!  The smile turned into a big grin with your news today that he fledged!  ;D 
I've been trying for years to follow Princess and Piper but the internet had problems.  I just stumbled across shaw ch.  9 about 4 or 5 days after all the chicks were bornthis spring.  I was very excited and so was my cat. Ha ha.
I voted for the names, although I can't say I particularly like the possibilities.  I just love the falcons, names aren't that important.  I think I'll always call the little brother Peewee, I've always called him that name.

PJ

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2017, 00:01 »
Got a call that little brother grounded himself again - took 8 hours to do it though, which I think is better than last time!  He's had a checkup and everything seems fine but he's staying overnight again with PWRC just to be sure (we did the same thing last time).  So long as all is good, we'll get him back up to the nest box and perhaps the third time (knock on wood) will be the charm.  So far so good.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2017, 00:25 »
Thank you Old Bird, all the information you gave and reassurances put a smile on my face!  My little Peewee (younger brother) is ok!  The smile turned into a big grin with your news today that he fledged!  ;D 
I've been trying for years to follow Princess and Piper but the internet had problems.  I just stumbled across shaw ch.  9 about 4 or 5 days after all the chicks were bornthis spring.  I was very excited and so was my cat. Ha ha.
I voted for the names, although I can't say I particularly like the possibilities.  I just love the falcons, names aren't that important.  I think I'll always call the little brother Peewee, I've always called him that name.

PJ

Not everyone likes the names we propose which is fine and often folks refer to them privately by nicknames.  We do have a couple of rules we try to live by - we give them names like Crash or Splat because 5 to 7 out of every 10 chicks dies in the first year of life and that's just bad karma.  We also don't go the Fluffy or Sweetie-Pie route - hard to take a peregrine seriously when he or she is named Fluffy.  We also try not to duplicate names already in the Project - for most our birds we don't know who's still alive and going to pop up someday, so we play it safe that way.  And finally, we are superstitious on two points - first, we don't name them after living people, we've not had good luck with that one in the past and second, we name them as though they will survive and return and be one of our resident birds - like Ty, Hart, Pip, Hurricane, Sol, Sundance, Spencer, Loki, Daer, Elizabeth, Bristol and Beatrix - who all came home this year.  Other Manitoba birds nesting elsewhere this year include Alley, Terminator, Radisson, Annie, Andamooka and Chaos. In case Nature appreciates a well-named peregrine, we plan to keep giving them names they can survive and thrive on - and with a little help from the falcons' fans for the Radisson chicks.

I'm putting together a list of the orevious years' Radisson chicks' names and where they came from - will be sure to post a link here when its ready.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18 »
TPC..... Who calls you TPC when birdies are grounded? - Where was 'Brother' found? - If any random person comes across  a big unfamiliar bird on the ground, how do they know what to do? - I'd think alot of people would just look and continue on. - Just curious :)  - I don't even know who to contact if I'm ever the one who finds a chick -  ie phone numbers etc.  ???

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29 »
Good question I wondered how they found their way to you, also I have been super busy at work but look when I can.  Where do you vote?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2017, 11:27 »
With the advent of smartphones folks google us and our phone number is on the website - just as a note, the number has changed this year.  Or they google injured wildlife and get one of the rehab organizations and their websites and answering machine messages provide them with information on local drop off locations - some of which are open during working hours, others 24/7.

Sometimes they get the phone number from the Hotel or 311 or the Winnipeg Police.  In last night's case, none of these three sources managed to find our new number - and yes we give them this information for just this kind of eventuality. 

Sometimes folks call the City or Province who then forward them on to the Humane Society or one of our wildlife rehab organizations.  Wildlife Haven and Prairie Wildlife usually give me a call if a peregrine comes through their door or there is a report that sounds like it could be a peregrine (rather than a merlin or some other raptor species).

Last night is was a bit of everything since more than one person was calling.  I got the call through Prairie Wildlife as it was late (almost 10pm) and I was nearer than any of their volunteers.  WHS Emergency also turned up which was cool.  Not a lot of folks available on a weekend - pretty much just us. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2017, 11:28 »
Where do you vote?

Link is in the top right corner of this screen - just click where it says "Click here to Vote"  ;D

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57 »
Oh, thanks TPC - Great Info!!  ;D - Since my 'Flip Phone' wouldn't do me much good for googling .... I'm going to get the number from the site and put it in my phone!  :) - Or maybe just go really old school and write it on a piece of paper!  :P
(Thank heavens 'Brother' hasn't ended up in the middle of Portage. :o)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2017, 12:32 »
we had  a little male one year, that we had to rescue 3 times. He became our best flier.

fingers crossed

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2017, 13:03 »
Ideally I'd like to get little brother (it will be nice when he has a name) back up in the nestbox tonight so he can calm down and think about what he wants to do instead of rushing to do it just because he's so glad to be away from us.  But we'll see how it goes ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2017, 17:41 »
I have some interesting information on one of the people that you chose for one of the chick names. The doctor that Jean Ann Purdie was married to delivered my mother at her home which was not far from Griswold. Then their son who was also a doctor (Dr. F.J E.Purdie) delivered me and my two brothers. So who should I vote for...I may be biased!  ;D

Jean Ann Purdie (1883-1991) –  nurse, doctor’s wife.
Born at Edinburgh, Scotland on 18 April 1893, she came to western Manitoba with her family in 1910, when she was 17 years of age. She took nursing training at Neepawa, graduating in 1914, after which she worked at the Brandon Mental Health Centre. On 16 July 1918, she married Dr. F. K. Purdie and the pair moved to Griswold to practice medicine. The Spanish Influenza hit Griswold in 1918 and the Griswold School was turned into a hospital to accommodate the many patients. For three weeks she nursed the patients, then went on to Alexander to help set up an emergency hospital there. During the epidemic, she helped to treat 200 people, only two of which died.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – JA Purdie

Mrs Purdie was a tough lady – a great quality in a peregrine! Also, the Brandon Mental Health Centre used to be a favourite place for non-nesting peregrines to hang out during migration and occasionally through the summer if they were in the mood to stay.

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/886356929555116036

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 17:46 by RCF »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2017, 18:03 »
That's really cool, RCF! :o :o :o

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling