Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85534 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57 »
Oh, thanks TPC - Great Info!!  ;D - Since my 'Flip Phone' wouldn't do me much good for googling .... I'm going to get the number from the site and put it in my phone!  :) - Or maybe just go really old school and write it on a piece of paper!  :P
(Thank heavens 'Brother' hasn't ended up in the middle of Portage. :o)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2017, 11:28 »
Where do you vote?

Link is in the top right corner of this screen - just click where it says "Click here to Vote"  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2017, 11:27 »
With the advent of smartphones folks google us and our phone number is on the website - just as a note, the number has changed this year.  Or they google injured wildlife and get one of the rehab organizations and their websites and answering machine messages provide them with information on local drop off locations - some of which are open during working hours, others 24/7.

Sometimes they get the phone number from the Hotel or 311 or the Winnipeg Police.  In last night's case, none of these three sources managed to find our new number - and yes we give them this information for just this kind of eventuality. 

Sometimes folks call the City or Province who then forward them on to the Humane Society or one of our wildlife rehab organizations.  Wildlife Haven and Prairie Wildlife usually give me a call if a peregrine comes through their door or there is a report that sounds like it could be a peregrine (rather than a merlin or some other raptor species).

Last night is was a bit of everything since more than one person was calling.  I got the call through Prairie Wildlife as it was late (almost 10pm) and I was nearer than any of their volunteers.  WHS Emergency also turned up which was cool.  Not a lot of folks available on a weekend - pretty much just us. :)

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29 »
Good question I wondered how they found their way to you, also I have been super busy at work but look when I can.  Where do you vote?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18 »
TPC..... Who calls you TPC when birdies are grounded? - Where was 'Brother' found? - If any random person comes across  a big unfamiliar bird on the ground, how do they know what to do? - I'd think alot of people would just look and continue on. - Just curious :)  - I don't even know who to contact if I'm ever the one who finds a chick -  ie phone numbers etc.  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2017, 00:25 »
Thank you Old Bird, all the information you gave and reassurances put a smile on my face!  My little Peewee (younger brother) is ok!  The smile turned into a big grin with your news today that he fledged!  ;D 
I've been trying for years to follow Princess and Piper but the internet had problems.  I just stumbled across shaw ch.  9 about 4 or 5 days after all the chicks were bornthis spring.  I was very excited and so was my cat. Ha ha.
I voted for the names, although I can't say I particularly like the possibilities.  I just love the falcons, names aren't that important.  I think I'll always call the little brother Peewee, I've always called him that name.

PJ

Not everyone likes the names we propose which is fine and often folks refer to them privately by nicknames.  We do have a couple of rules we try to live by - we give them names like Crash or Splat because 5 to 7 out of every 10 chicks dies in the first year of life and that's just bad karma.  We also don't go the Fluffy or Sweetie-Pie route - hard to take a peregrine seriously when he or she is named Fluffy.  We also try not to duplicate names already in the Project - for most our birds we don't know who's still alive and going to pop up someday, so we play it safe that way.  And finally, we are superstitious on two points - first, we don't name them after living people, we've not had good luck with that one in the past and second, we name them as though they will survive and return and be one of our resident birds - like Ty, Hart, Pip, Hurricane, Sol, Sundance, Spencer, Loki, Daer, Elizabeth, Bristol and Beatrix - who all came home this year.  Other Manitoba birds nesting elsewhere this year include Alley, Terminator, Radisson, Annie, Andamooka and Chaos. In case Nature appreciates a well-named peregrine, we plan to keep giving them names they can survive and thrive on - and with a little help from the falcons' fans for the Radisson chicks.

I'm putting together a list of the orevious years' Radisson chicks' names and where they came from - will be sure to post a link here when its ready.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2017, 00:01 »
Got a call that little brother grounded himself again - took 8 hours to do it though, which I think is better than last time!  He's had a checkup and everything seems fine but he's staying overnight again with PWRC just to be sure (we did the same thing last time).  So long as all is good, we'll get him back up to the nest box and perhaps the third time (knock on wood) will be the charm.  So far so good.

Offline Pamela56

• Egg
« Reply #392 on: July 16, 2017, 18:41 »
Thank you Old Bird, all the information you gave and reassurances put a smile on my face!  My little Peewee (younger brother) is ok!  The smile turned into a big grin with your news today that he fledged!  ;D 
I've been trying for years to follow Princess and Piper but the internet had problems.  I just stumbled across shaw ch.  9 about 4 or 5 days after all the chicks were bornthis spring.  I was very excited and so was my cat. Ha ha.
I voted for the names, although I can't say I particularly like the possibilities.  I just love the falcons, names aren't that important.  I think I'll always call the little brother Peewee, I've always called him that name.

PJ

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #390 on: July 16, 2017, 13:47 »
As an update - Little Brother fledged at 1206h CDT - went back to check the recorder - pretty good launch too and he made a wide sweeping turn around to the north and disappeared around the Hotel and maintained good altitude from what I saw.

Will see what I can see on the cameras!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Watching the Radisson webcam on shaw channel 9 every day for 2 hours since the chicks were tiny (3 hours on Saturday and Sunday).  What a beautiful experience!  Sometimes it was hard to watch Peewee aka (Lost) being shoved out of the feeding line.  Nature has its way, survival of the fittest.
Now Peewee looks weak and seems to have having difficulty flying like his sisters.  He's alone most of the time, at least from the perspective of the shaw webcam.  Any one who knows more, please post it.  Thanks.
I guess my motherly instincts popped out again.  I even dreamed last night about a songbird chick in a nest, which was a hole in the grass.  An elementary school full of children were in my backyard learning about life.  I guess these little Peregrine Falcons and  their very busy mom got to my heart.  🐣🐣 🐣  God go with you little ones

Hey Pamela - welcome aboard!

It can be tough to know what's going on the first year you watch the peregrines and watching on Shaw TV you have a great view but it is only just at one time of the day so you have only seen one part of their lives.  The good news is that all the chicks at the Radisson are doing very well and in fact are doing as well as their brothers and sisters in previous years and are no different from their cousins around the province (we watch over them as well).  Little brother, the last chick at the nestbox is 4 almost 5 days younger than his sisters which is why he hasn't fledge (taken his first flight yet) - getting bumped off (or being the bumpee) also may make him a little less impatient to get flying.  He ended up fluttering down 30 storeys to the ground when he accidentally fledge, then he was rescued, transported, checked out for injuries, had a sleep-over, transported again and then was returned to the nestbox - all things he wasn't thrilled about so if he takes a bit more time to want to fly again, that's fine - he's getting stronger and braver everyday.  His sister who also fledged accidentally with him spent four days hanging out by herself on a nearby rooftop out of sight of the nestbox before she tried flying again and we found her up with her sister across the street from the nestbox on Saturday.  He on the other hand had his other sister with him until just a couple of days ago and he can see his parents and sisters most of the time, he just doesn't want to fly yet. And that's up to him - every peregrine has their own personality and he'll go when he doesn't want to be alone anymore - they all do eventually.  And the parents will keep him and his sisters fed wherever they may be, then they will start tempting their chicks to follow them for the food so that they can start to teach them to chase prey and hunt.  The chicks really like this stage of training!!

And don't worry about little brother's health, he's not weak at all (I have the cuts to prove it!) - it is warm in the nestbox at this time of the year so he likes to find the shade in the box or out on the balcony or on the ledge (which is out of camera view).  And the peregrines like most predators (and our companion cats and dogs) spend a large part of every day napping both as chicks and as adults - so he's doing just what everyone else is doing.  Occasionally you will see him with his wings drooping after a big flap on the edge of the nestbox - that's because he's still building up his wing strength and that's tough work for a chick that is only 43 days old. 

So nothing to be worried about at this point, little brother is doing what we expect, just taking a little extra time and when you consider how small he was when he hatched, a little extra time is perfectly understandable.  We've had chicks stay longer and some who didn't wait at all, every chick is different.

And if you haven't, please do vote for your favourite names for the chicks - maybe that will encourage him to fly  ;)

Offline Pamela56

• Egg
Watching the Radisson webcam on shaw channel 9 every day for 2 hours since the chicks were tiny (3 hours on Saturday and Sunday).  What a beautiful experience!  Sometimes it was hard to watch Peewee aka (Lost) being shoved out of the feeding line.  Nature has its way, survival of the fittest.
Now Peewee looks weak and seems to have having difficulty flying like his sisters.  He's alone most of the time, at least from the perspective of the shaw webcam.  Any one who knows more, please post it.  Thanks.
I guess my motherly instincts popped out again.  I even dreamed last night about a songbird chick in a nest, which was a hole in the grass.  An elementary school full of children were in my backyard learning about life.  I guess these little Peregrine Falcons and  their very busy mom got to my heart.  🐣🐣 🐣  God go with you little ones
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:45 by Pamela56 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline Bunting

• Egg
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2017, 18:32 »
Ooops, sorry he fooled me I guess!

Offline Bunting

• Egg
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2017, 17:35 »
Did he take off just now?  I thought so!