Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85404 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2017, 00:49 »
I remember in years past there was a fledge watch on the ground, or am I dreaming.
There was quite a bit of messaging about sightings from a lot of names I haven't seen this year.

Nope you aren't dreaming mspeach - your memory is quite correct.  We have had informal flrdgewatches in years gone by - they differed from the flrledgewatches we had many years ago in hat folks would come down when they could as opposed to two people working. 6 hour shifts from dawn until dark.  That's more time than folks can generally donate and because of the tall buildings it is hard to keep a constant watch on the birds.  Our mr informal fledgewatches were as much to appreciate the birds as to help them if the chicks run into trouble.  The Project has over the last number of years has worked to modify nestsites to give chicks more opportunity to practice flying before taking the big leap and that seems (knock on wood) to be helping - for instance putting the chicks on the rooftop nestbox rather than the box on the wall at McKenzie Seeds - doesn't make it as easy to see them from the ground but fledging injury and mortality has gone down. Same with Ramos from box to roof at a couple of sites - even though the chicks can get up on he roof he inevitably go down onto the roof and then spend the next 2-3 weeks running and flapping and taking short flights across the roof - all in preparation for the big leap.  Accidents will still happen and some birds just need more chances to get it right but overall we are (knock on wood again) doing so very badly these days.  The chance to get together and talk peregrines when fledgewatches was a great part of the events - and you are right, the sharing of sightings and tales was great fun.  I had to go back and count but those fledgewatches started 9 years ago - a number of our original phanatics have retired, moved etc - they still drop I. To see what is going on and a number of folks keep an eye on the twitter feed to get updates as well.  I guess the upshot is that things, except for the peregrines, change and we adapt.

Nice to have you back for a visit MsPeach  :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2017, 00:06 »
Sorry to hear little brother took revenge on your arm today, TPC. He must have been quite frightened after a couple experiences on the ground!

Your latest tweet said he was back in the box but I'm not seeing any sign of him - unless he's tucked in already - so I'm thinking he might have left shortly after you put him back.

I sure hope poor little brother isn't in trouble somewhere ... I'm worried.  :(

There's another tweet since then burdi :)

And scared my sweet patoot, little terror bites me every time, Lisa too, even when she was giving him food!  For me it was banding, one rescue and two returns.  Cute bird with a wicked temper, if he can just learn to fly and survive the year, he'll be heck on wings.  And Dennis took a photo of my arm ... got to check if my tetanus is up-to-date tomorrow (wish I were kidding  ::))

Thanks, TPC. It's good to hear he's still there.

;D  Guess he is a little terror!  ;D 

But regarding your arm, I wish you were kidding too.  :(

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2017, 23:54 »
I remember in years past there was a fledge watch on the ground, or am I dreaming.
There was quite a bit of messaging about sightings from a lot of names I haven't seen this year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #411 on: July 17, 2017, 23:38 »
Sorry to hear little brother took revenge on your arm today, TPC. He must have been quite frightened after a couple experiences on the ground!

Your latest tweet said he was back in the box but I'm not seeing any sign of him - unless he's tucked in already - so I'm thinking he might have left shortly after you put him back.

There's another tweet since then burdi :)

And scared my sweet patoot, little terror bites me every time, Lisa too, even when she was giving him food!  For me it was banding, one rescue and two returns.  Cute bird with a wicked temper, if he can just learn to fly and survive the year, he'll be heck on wings.  And Dennis took a photo of my arm ... got to check if my tetanus is up-to-date tomorrow (wish I were kidding  ::))

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2017, 23:35 »
Dennis and I put little brother back into the nestbox this evening in the hope that he would just cool his jets overnight (and maybe tomorrow too?) before trying his hand at flying a third time.  He has done well so far to be grounded twice from 30 storeys without an injury, but he doesn't need to prove to us he can do it a third time (right?).  We'll have to see if all he's waiting for is dawn or if he decides to take a couple of days - maybe until the weekend when its quieter downtown even - before trying his wings again.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2017, 23:33 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #408 on: July 17, 2017, 23:32 »
Small world indeed RCF!  And it looks like you aren't the only one who likes the name so it is entirely possible there will be a Radisson chick with a personal connection to you  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #407 on: July 17, 2017, 23:28 »

It's a small world (after all)!  :D

Thank you for sharing the interesting information regarding Jean Ann Purdie and her connection to you and your family, RCF.  8)

At first glance I liked the name Purdie (maybe because it rhymes with my forum name - not sure - but I like it).

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #406 on: July 17, 2017, 23:23 »
Such a neat "connection", RCF!  :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #405 on: July 17, 2017, 22:10 »
Great story RCF!! So interesting!  ;D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #404 on: July 17, 2017, 20:10 »
I agree that is really cool RCF! :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2017, 18:03 »
That's really cool, RCF! :o :o :o

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2017, 17:41 »
I have some interesting information on one of the people that you chose for one of the chick names. The doctor that Jean Ann Purdie was married to delivered my mother at her home which was not far from Griswold. Then their son who was also a doctor (Dr. F.J E.Purdie) delivered me and my two brothers. So who should I vote for...I may be biased!  ;D

Jean Ann Purdie (1883-1991) –  nurse, doctor’s wife.
Born at Edinburgh, Scotland on 18 April 1893, she came to western Manitoba with her family in 1910, when she was 17 years of age. She took nursing training at Neepawa, graduating in 1914, after which she worked at the Brandon Mental Health Centre. On 16 July 1918, she married Dr. F. K. Purdie and the pair moved to Griswold to practice medicine. The Spanish Influenza hit Griswold in 1918 and the Griswold School was turned into a hospital to accommodate the many patients. For three weeks she nursed the patients, then went on to Alexander to help set up an emergency hospital there. During the epidemic, she helped to treat 200 people, only two of which died.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – JA Purdie

Mrs Purdie was a tough lady – a great quality in a peregrine! Also, the Brandon Mental Health Centre used to be a favourite place for non-nesting peregrines to hang out during migration and occasionally through the summer if they were in the mood to stay.

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/886356929555116036

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 17:46 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2017, 13:03 »
Ideally I'd like to get little brother (it will be nice when he has a name) back up in the nestbox tonight so he can calm down and think about what he wants to do instead of rushing to do it just because he's so glad to be away from us.  But we'll see how it goes ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2017, 12:32 »
we had  a little male one year, that we had to rescue 3 times. He became our best flier.

fingers crossed