Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85447 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2017, 17:52 »
Thanks for checking the cams, TPC.  :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2017, 13:09 »
Yay!! - Happy to see somebirdie even if she isn't one of the Radisson family.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2017, 10:26 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/905814177213812737

Went back to the weekend and Faith may be visiting the Logan nestbox but she hasn't dared to visit the Radisson one yet.  Guess it will depend on how long she stays around ...

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #500 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01 »
thank you for all the information, appears not much activity with birds.  Sad part of the end of summer, now have to wait for spring again.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #499 on: September 05, 2017, 16:30 »
LOTS of building activity but I haven't seen hide nor hair of our birdies for weeks. ....sigh....  :-\ - Well I guess no news is good news!  ;)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #498 on: September 04, 2017, 19:22 »
Thank you for all the clarification TPC.  I had no idea there was so much activity going on in downtown Winnipeg.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2017, 18:28 »

Thank you for all that information on buildings near the Radisson and your thoughts on whether or not they may affect our peregrines, TPC!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2017, 14:52 »
I wasn't really sure where to post this...I'm not from the Winnipeg area, so I'm not overly familiar with downtown Winnipeg.  I know that we don't have any control and urbanization will continue, but does the construction of True North Square cause concern for future Radisson Peregrines?

True North Centre - no - it is a number of blocks away and south and west of the Radisson.  By the time it is built it may in fact become one of our (not counting our chicks before they are laid mind you) chicks' favourite spots to hang out post-fledge.  From what I have been able to visualize of the skyline of the project and its position, (knock on wood) by the time the chicks can fly up to rooftops, this one will be about the same distance away as the Delta Hotel which for the last few years has been a favourite place to play.

Closer to the Radisson is a new development that we are watching with more interest.  Actually there are two developments at the moment, one 8 storeys, the other 30 storeys.  The 8 storey development is where the Regis Hotel & its parking lot are now (https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/st-regis-hotel-to-close-next-month-ending-107-year-run-422456543.html).  The 30 storey development is SkyCity (http://skycitywinnipeg.ca/#top)  is just south of there - the old post office parking lot - so northeast(ish) corner of Graham and Smith.  Now we are continuing to try and keep the peregrines from nesting on the east side of the building so it may be a moot point until the chicks are fledging and if/when they fly around to the Hotel.  Or maybe it won't be much of nothing - like the Glasshouse (http://glasshousewinnipeg.com/) and Alt Hotel (http://www.althotels.com/en/winnipeg/services/) on the west side of the Hotel and north side of Portage.

Fortunately the west side of the Radisson is pretty user friendly for the peregrines - the Hydro building is a couple of blocks away and (knock on wood) yet to cause a fatality.  The MTS Centre, Eaton Place, the Somerset Building, the old Woolworth's store, Met Entertainment Venue, Centennial Library, old Winnipeg Free Press building, Air Canada Building as well as the Dollarama & MEC buildings are all lower with large flat roofs for landings.  The Rogers Building, Glasshouse and Alt Hotel are used regularly by the chicks in the first week after fledging and the adults use the Alt Hotel sign as a perch during big storms during the nesting season.  All of which, so far, has been pretty good for our peregrines - knock on wood (and anything else you like in addition) it will stay that way.

(and yes, when it comes to tempting the fates, I will knock on wood whenever and however many times it takes to not cosmically-influence the peregrines' safety  :o)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2017, 15:37 »
I wasn't really sure where to post this...I'm not from the Winnipeg area, so I'm not overly familiar with downtown Winnipeg.  I know that we don't have any control and urbanization will continue, but does the construction of True North Square cause concern for future Radisson Peregrines?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2017, 19:14 »
Thank you for replying with the info I requested, TPC.

I find the tape colours serve an excellent purpose, though not for long. Initially, I couldn't find leg band info for the chicks, but thought I should at least ask about the band colours tape colours - sorry about the poor wording.

Past the first year, having colour on the silver band doesn't really serve a purpose.  When they are chicks and based on where they are seen we can tell with a certain level of confidence who a bird might be - so a chick at the Radisson nestbox in July is likely (99%) the red Radisson chick.  In September a chick with red tape could be any of this year's red taped chicks because the chicks are travelling further away and returning irregularly.  A bird next spring with red tape on its leg will have adult plumage and could be any of the red taped chicks from the last 10 years - or could e a bird from any other project that also uses tape to mark their birds, and many do.  So, the tape works well because it sticks long enough to help us through fledging and usually through until the chicks migrate.  After that reading the leg band is best for the ID.

Yes, I understand this. Thank you, TPC.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #493 on: August 27, 2017, 13:13 »

I find the tape colours serve an excellent purpose, though not for long. Initially, I couldn't find leg band info for the chicks, but thought I should at least ask about the band colours tape colours - sorry about the poor wording.

Past the first year, having colour on the silver band doesn't really serve a purpose.  When they are chicks and based on where they are seen we can tell with a certain level of confidence who a bird might be - so a chick at the Radisson nestbox in July is likely (99%) the red Radisson chick.  In September a chick with red tape could be any of this year's red taped chicks because the chicks are travelling further away and returning irregularly.  A bird next spring with red tape on its leg will have adult plumage and could be any of the red taped chicks from the last 10 years - or could e a bird from any other project that also uses tape to mark their birds, and many do.  So, the tape works well because it sticks long enough to help us through fledging and usually through until the chicks migrate.  After that reading the leg band is best for the ID.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2017, 04:09 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #491 on: August 19, 2017, 18:18 »
I wasn't able to find a list of band colours for our 2017 Radisson chicks ??? (maybe I missed it ???).

Perhaps adding their band colours to the "News" could help as a temporary (but quick) reference.

Chick "band" (actually tape) colours this year are:
Porter - is silver - no tape on left leg(all our males were silver this year)
Purdy - green tape on left leg
Pippy - red tape on left leg

We don't really expect the tape to last longer than a few months, so if you see a bird with no tape, likely it is one of the males but maybe, just maybe, one of the girls may have removed the tape already.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #490 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19 »
Yes I think he is a newbie Dad - He's done a pretty good job!!  ;D

Yes, I would say Pip has done a great job, and I suspect he's carrying most of the load right now!  :)