Author Topic: OH / Columbus - State & 4th - 2017-19  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Ohio / Columbus - 2019 / ? & Durand
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 22:29 »
The most recent update on the Columbus peregrines:

June 3 2019

Everything is going well with the Columbus pair. They have produced 4 thriving chicks. We estimated that they started hatching sometime around the week of May 8th. We could start to see fledging activity sometime during the week of June 10th.

The chicks are beautiful:

Dad bringing in food:

http://ohioperegrinefalcons.blogspot.com/2019/06/update-on-columbus-pair-and-their-young.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 19:23 »
Thanks for sharing Alison!   One of my all time favorite nests to watch. Love knowing that Durand is still around.

You are very welcome, irenekl! This was always one of my favourite nests too.

This was another update I found:

April 2019: FalconCam Update

Columbus Peregrine Falcon Nest

In Fall 2017, Division of Wildlife staff installed two nest boxes on the Riffe Center in Columbus, in hopes the Columbus peregrines would start nesting at this new location (the original nest had to be moved due to construction on the Rhodes Tower). Unfortunately, the falcons chose to not use the Riffe Center location and there was no nest in 2018. However, in April 2019, the pair was discovered with a new nest on another nearby building in Columbus! For the 2019 nesting season, we plan to monitor the Columbus falcon nest at their new location and periodically post updates on the Columbus Peregrine Falcon Blog.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife-watching/falcon-cam/post/the-chick-continues-to-grow

(The "chick" part of the update does not refer to Columbus.)

Link to the blog:

https://ohioperegrinefalcons.blogspot.com/

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 14:30 »
Thanks for sharing Alison!   One of my all time favorite nests to watch. Love knowing that Durand is still around.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
OH / Columbus - State & 4th - 2019 / ? & Durand
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 00:22 »
2019 NESTING SEASON

For anyone who might still be wondering what happened to the Rhodes Tower peregrines after Ohio had pretty much ceased having any interest in, or support for, peregrines back in 2017.

Columbus Peregrines Located!!!!!

With great enthusiasm I can announce we have located the Columbus peregrine falcon pair.

With help from the public we have been able to confirm the location of the Columbus falcon pair. Over the past year we've had several reports of peregrines being seen in the OSU and Columbus area, but were never able to locate a nesting ledge.

In February I was contacted by Karen Merideth, who provided me with pictures of a falcon visiting a ledge at the Franklin County Commissioner's building.

From the leg band we were able to identify this as Durand, the adult female from the 2017 nesting season.

Last week, I received an email through DNR Wildinfo from Rachelle Tinsley, reporting a falcon nesting on the ledge of the building she worked in. And sure enough it was! This year they have chosen a nest at the corner of E. State Street and S. 4th Street.

For this nesting season, we plan to monitor the nest and periodically post updates on the blog.

A BIG thanks to Ms. Merideth and Ms. Tinsley for their assistance.

I was very pleased to see Durand again and to know that she is still around. From the information provided, it is not clear whether the resident male is the same as before.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 00:25 by Alison »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Ohio / Columbus - 2017 / Aries & Durand
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 15:37 »
There is now a 3rd egg for this pair. Hopefully a 4th????

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50 »
Thanks Carly. I am just missing her. She is there now. Hopefully she will resume expanding the clutch.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20 »
She was there yesterday and was there at 8.55 am this morning.  BCAW keeps good track of her as she's a fan favorite.  I just saw the photos of her in the nest box from today and yesterday.  You may just be missing her   ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20 »
Still only 2 eggs. I am concerned there is a problem. For most of yesterday, Durand was "not" in the nest, nor on the ledge. This is still the concern this morning. No bird is visible on either cam.  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:25 »
From their blog, photos of egg #1 and eggs #1 & #2

http://ohioperegrinefalcons.blogspot.ca/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:13 »
Sometime during the night, Durand laid their 2nd egg. She has been incubating. As I write this, she has been showing signs of a 3rd egg. Time will tell. She is calling out to Aries and looks as though she needs hydration.  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:43 »
Just went back to the ledge cam and both were in view. Durand was enjoying a meal. Aries was watching in anticipation of a steal. He did and off he flew. When you see them together, one may think..."Beauty and the Beast." I did!  :o

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 11:22 »
Carly, thank you for being able to solve the mystery band. Love the name Aries. I checked the site before posting and there is still only the single egg. Mother was standing guard. On the other cam, there is a "large" bird in front of the nest. No wonder they thought he was a female.  :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:39 »
He's been named 'Aries' in honor of his mother.  She was displaced at her Bowling Green site last year I believe, there is a new female there now.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 21:35 »
New male at Columbus is B/R 30/Z banded as female in 2014. Grandson of Scout and Orville (Columbus, Ohio), mother is Aerial at Bowling Green.

Thanks Carly!  Nice to see others sometimes have squirrelly-sized males/females as well.  Usually our problem is small females - hate to thing how big this boy was at banding  :o to be banded a female.  Good on him, hopefully it will serve him, Durand and their chicks well.  And he's unnamed in the records, will be interesting to see what folks in Ohio come up with.  If anyone hears, please let me know and I'll change it - in the meantime I'll use his band number in the subject line for this thread.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 19:30 »
New male at Columbus is B/R 30/Z banded as female in 2014. Grandson of Scout and Orville (Columbus, Ohio), mother is Aerial at Bowling Green.