Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 24815 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 16:10 »

Update by Scott Banks, August 31

Retirement of our old IR illuminator

Apologies for the lack of night vision again. We kick-started the 10-year-old IR camera the other day but it’s fallen over again. The new IR unit hasn’t arrived yet but when it does we’ll figure out a carefully choreographed method to swap it over without disturbing Diamond too much. No easy way to swap though, as the viewing hole has no cover and is open to the birds. It will have to be handled delicately, and probably with some disturbance, but we’ll need to see nightly activities from now on so it’s a necessity.
Please hang in there with us. It’s all reliant on when the new IR unit arrives now. In the meantime Diamond is probably enjoying some much-needed total darkness to snooze in, and no shenanigans in there!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 16:00 »

Cilla added a couple comments to her last update.

Cilla Kinross says:   
30 August, 2017 at 12:16 pm   

Xavier has really been pulling his weight and during the day has been doing at least half if not more of the incubating. Considering he wouldn’t go near the eggs or chicks last year, this is quite a turn around, but of course they are HIS this year (and isn’t he pleased to show off his talents at regular intervals!).

He is nearly a third smaller than Diamond. I regularly use a ruler to check length and width against the dimensions of the box to be sure I have the right bird as they often switch so quickly that i miss it (and with the light out again, it can be really difficult when they swap in the early morning gloom). It’s really annoying me, too, as I can’t tell what Diamond is actually doing in the night (or if she’s there at all sometimes).

Hopefully the light will be back up by the weekend, but unfortunately I can’t help Scott as I’m off to a conference in Brisbane tomorrow morning early (terrible timing, I know). I have a volunteer helping with the data recording, but he won’t be updating the website, so it will be a bit quiet over the next few days. I’ll be back today week.

If egg number three arrives before I have to leave this afternoon, I’ll put up a video. If it comes tonight, well too bad, I’m afraid.

Cilla Kinross says:   
30 August, 2017 at 12:17 pm   

Just to add – I expect Xavier’s efforts to tail off if we get three or more eggs as he is just too little to cover a large brood.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 15:50 »

Mornings are still rather chilly in Orange. The temperature today was -3.9°C at 0540 hrs, and Xavier could be seen on the ledge around this time.  :)

He’s likely busy hunting right now.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 16:52 »

Third egg arrived August 31!

I don't know what time Diamond laid that egg, but while she was moving around a bit (about 0612 hrs, and again at 0636 hrs), three eggs were clearly visible.  :)

I don't know when she laid the third egg either. It was due some time late yesterday, but since the IR has been down completely for the past couple of days, there is no image after dark.

I caught a glimpse of the three eggs as Diamond settled on them, but only two are visible in the pic below. The new egg is the darker one just above her foot.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 16:45 »

Today, I saw Xavier present Diamond with a whole bird at 0929 hrs. She immediately left with the prey, and Xavier began his shift. Diamond later returned at 1045 hrs to take over again. I believe Xavier is doing a great job!  :)

Great catch on the food delivery, burdi! Xavier really is being much more helpful to Diamond this year, and it's good to see him doing his share. He really likes to incubate.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 15:46 »

Third egg arrived August 31!

I don't know what time Diamond laid that egg, but while she was moving around a bit (about 0612 hrs, and again at 0636 hrs), three eggs were clearly visible.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 23:49 »

Today, I saw Xavier present Diamond with a whole bird at 0929 hrs. She immediately left with the prey, and Xavier began his shift. Diamond later returned at 1045 hrs to take over again. I believe Xavier is doing a great job!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 23:19 »
Hi burdi,

Diamond now has her second egg! Xavier has been taking his turn incubating. I haven't seen him bring in food for Diamond today, but at least she is able to take a break while he incubates.

Thank you for posting news about the “second egg”, Alison!

I also like your photo of Xavier. He looks quite content on those eggs.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 23:05 »

Update by Cilla Kinross, August 28

And number two in broad daylight

This time Diamond’s efforts went unobserved by Xavier, who is hopefully off hunting, but of course, Diamond’s fans world wide wish her well. She was straining for quite a well, so I imagine it’s a quite a relief when the whole process is over.   Could she have three, four even (that would be a first for this nest site)?

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:21 »
Hi burdi,

Diamond now has her second egg! Xavier has been taking his turn incubating. I haven't seen him bring in food for Diamond today, but at least she is able to take a break while he incubates.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 22:24 »

UPDATE by Cilla Kinross, August 28

First egg of 2017

Good girl!   And a really good choice of scrape, girl, so we can actually see!     Diamond did her stuff on Saturday morning, with Xavier in attendance (which I suspect is rather unusual – certainly I’ve not seen it before here).   Expect second egg today in fact as they are usually a couple of days apart.
Usually they wait until all, or at least two, eggs are lain before incubation starts, but I noticed both have started straightaway.  It is quite a cold morning for August.

The complete update includes a great video and pictures:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/first-egg-of-2017/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 19:39 »
I think Xavier has been working very hard to please Diamond with food offerings. After all, he knows she enjoys eating out ;D, and bringing food usually gives him another chance to incubate!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:04 »
Xavier dropped off some prey for Diamond, very close to her left foot. She was hungry, and started eating. After a few bites, she took the rest of the food out of the nest to finish elsewhere.

Hi, Alison. Your post was very helpful!

I looked at the cam right at the moment Diamond had the prey by her foot (as shown in your first pic). However, I didn't know who brought it in - until I found the answer in your post. Thank you.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 23:11 »
Thank you for the updates, burdi! I was out when Diamond laid the egg, so I'm glad you caught it!

Congratulations to Diamond and Xavier on their first egg! I'm glad Xavier is taking so much interest in the egg this year.

Xavier dropped off some prey for Diamond, very close to her left foot. She was hungry, and started eating. After a few bites, she took the rest of the food out of the nest to finish elsewhere.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 19:13 »

Xavier took the opportunity to thoroughly inspect their egg when Diamond left for a break.  :)