Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 24232 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 04:27 »
I’m glad you were able to catch the second hatch, Alison, and it’s nice to see your pics of this family; the chicks are adorable!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 03:44 »
Update - First 2017-hatched peregrine chick video montage

Published 2 October, 2017 | By Scott Banks

In a short space of time, and very hastily compiled, I’ve put together a 35-minute long video of the most interesting moments in the first hatchling’s first day for all to watch. From just an egg at one moment, to a beautiful, furry little bobble-head the next there’s new life up in the peregrine eyrie:

First hatchling for the 2017 season video clip (with audio where available)

We’re hoping for the best for the other 2 eggs now. It wasn’t an easy time for No.1 either as Diamond insisted on prioritising warmth over egg egress, constantly sitting over the chick while it struggled with the eggshell, but all’s well and the first feeds have already been witnessed. Xavier visited the maternity ward fairly quickly after the event and is proving to be very supportive.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/first-2017-hatched-peregrine-chick-video-montage/

What a nice video by Scott Banks!

Thank you, Scott.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10 »
Update - Feeding gets going

Published 2 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

Omelette (for want of a better name) has had three good feeds today, one between 6 and 7 am, lunch at noon and afternoon tea just now.

Mostly starling, but another unidentified.   Xavier seems a bit erratic with his food bringing, clearly sometimes allowing Diamond to fetch from a stash outside.  But he was the same last year and they muddle through okay.

And he has begun to brood the chicks, albeit for only short times.

We had an interesting visitor today – a Nankeen Kestrel, who landed briefly on the ledge outside the box, but took off quickly.  Diamond raised her head, and gave the kestrel a Julie Bishop (our foreign minister) death stare, but otherwise wasn’t bothered.

Nice hollow….perhaps not!

Touch wood no. two hatches tonight.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/feeding-gets-going/

Lots of pics and three videos can be found in the above link.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 23:53 »
The first chick had a good feed; the tiny new hatchling was trying to sit up by the end of the feeding.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 23:47 »
The second chick has hatched. Dad Xavier came in to see his brand new chick, and brought food.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 11:21 »
Ah, now that is nice to see on a wet cold day in Winnipeg when I can only find one peregrine perch on a sign downtown and you can almost see her thinking it is time to leave for warm climes ....

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 14:18 »
Update - Signs of life, 1st chick appears

Published 1 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

At about 1600 h, a largish hole appeared in one of the eggs (which had been showing signs of cracking for some time), and the hatching commenced about 1700

hatching gets started

with the first appearance of the chick at 1803 h (6 pm for the Americans!).

As you’ve all seen, there is a sizeable hole in a second egg, so I expect something to happen tonight.   I will try and get in tomorrow afternoon, but have commitment in the morning, so I’ll hand over to the night shift!

Good luck and good night to Diamond and all her followers.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/signs-of-life/

You can find more pics and a nice video in the link above.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 11:34 »
Update by Cilla Kinross, October 1

Pip hole, finally

Just got to work.  Thanks for all the alerts.   I tried to keep a half an eye out at home while doing chores, but kept getting distracted.

At 1411.37 pm there was a change-over (with prey) and an obvious crack in the egg.   And about time, too.

At 1610-11 I got some shots of this obvious pip-hole in the egg, with what looks like a bit of the chick inside.

Hello, world

Once chick emerges, I’ll put up a video and start a new thread with it.   Fingers crossed, all goods smoothly.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/pip-hole-finally/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 02:56 »
We now have a hatch! I don’t know the exact minute of arrival but saw half a shell at 1754 hrs, so shortly before. I also saw the chick clearly visible and moving at 1809 hrs and again at 1816 hrs. Congratulations to Xavier and Diamond!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:08 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 21:30 »
I thought Diamond was eating some eggshell earlier, but she wasn’t, and when Xavier came in to take over there were still three eggs. Diamond returned from her break at 1447 hrs, and I see something light coloured sitting near the back wall (which was probably what I saw her playing with earlier ::)).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:18 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 06:17 »
Update by Cilla Kinross, September 29

New thread for new life, we hope

Still no sign of chicks, but I have to go home now,  so I guess you’ll beat me to it as I probably won’t be in work until Sunday or Monday (the uni is closed Monday for public holiday, but I’ll probably be around). I have to organise a landcare event tomorrow, Saturday, which means clearing out my garage for starters.  (yuk).    I can post messages from home, but can’t add photos or videos.

Here is some interaction over a meagre prey offering.  Male (Xavier) is on your right.

A starling head…well, it will have to do!

So, anyway here is new thread, to avoid getting too cluttered.    Fingers crossed.   She’s fast asleep as I’m writing.

Have a lovely weekend.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/new-thread-for-new-life-we-hope/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 02:33 »
Update by Cilla Kinross, September 28

Signs of impatience

This is the picture of the eggs showing a small hole (in far egg).  It might be rather difficult to see at this scale (and it might be just a trick of the light, or my fertile imagination).  This was yesterday afternoon, which made me assume hatching would happen last night, but I was wrong.   Serious incubation started on 28th August, so hatching should be 26 Sept – 1 October.

As Deborah pointed out last night, Diamond is showing signs of impatience for her chicks to hatch. treating the eggs like skittles.   Last night the average time spent turning, stretching and egg rolling was 6.5 minutes (it’s usually about 1.5).   So pretty restless, although it was quite a warm night last night (and some light rain).    Here she is apparently trying to initiate some action.

Time to face the world!

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/signs-of-impatience/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 08:15 »
Update by Cilla Kinross, September 26

Not long now

In the lead up to the hatching, we had an interesting visit from another peregrine this morning.  Interesting to watch both Xavier and Diamond’s reaction:

Strange peregrine flypast

There has been very little prey brought in – just a starling top half two days ago.  I still haven’t found the stash, but I’ve asked some workers to keep an eye out for me as they are working in the gardens where the birds often roost.  I think it might be in the very far trees, however as I’ve seen Diamond sail right over the close trees.

Xavier has been keeping up his incubation duties – sometimes several hours at a time – quite different from Bula or Beau.  Here he is perhaps startled by something and makes a rather clumsy exit.   Did he hear a peep?.   Sorry, video not behaving itself.

Incidentally, I’ll have to ask Scott about sound.  I have it on the Milestone recording software, which I can watch live, so I don’t know why it’s not coming through on the live streaming.

Xavier jumps off the eggs with alacrity!

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/not-long-now/

Check the above link for more pics and two great videos!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54 »
Update by Scott Banks, September 25

Streaming headaches

Apologies to all for the problems we’ve faced with the streaming server. After some extensive testing and adjustment it appears it’s being held ransom by a couple of issues. One is the load on the server at the moment; it’s enormous and occasionally hangs or stops the server app (i.e. the software) completely. Most of the time the auto-restart of the streaming app every 60 mins fixes the problem, but sometimes the server computer (i.e. the hardware) itself may hit a snag too; it’s currently set to reboot itself every 12 hours but we can adjust as necessary. The actual server computer itself, along with the Windows 7 image on top of it, is part of the Charles Sturt University network & policies, and this can cause us headaches as over time minor elements such as security & corporate policy changes can make hidden adjustments to the running of the computer itself, without us ever knowing. For instance it appears that the streaming server system policy had quietly changed a week or three back to turn the hard drives off after 30 minutes of no activity. Which means our streams just stopped, and the computer hibernated!! Problem solved at midnight Sunday when the setting was discovered and a new power policy was implemented to “never” turn any hardware off, and increase the performance to “maximum”. It’s hoped that we’ll be able to administer our own system policy on the server shortly.

We spent a couple of years trying to automate all our processes so we didn’t need to be on-site for every action. Over a long period of time now, and in general, that automation has been spectacularly successful, For example, common campus power outages are overcome by auto-rebooting all our hardware (switches, cameras, servers etc) once power returns. Touch-wood these custom tweaks will continue to give us good up-time in the future. But in peak viewing season (right now!) our older equipment is under huge strain. We have plans in place to upgrade hardware and software but it will take time to test/purchase improvements, along with required additional funding (of which we’d like to warmly thank our recent supporters for their extremely generous donations, which go a long way to our objectives; many thanks!).

We’re also looking at some upgrades to website features, such as implementing a true discussion forum soon to allow viewers and supporters to discuss points without resorting to the less friendly  comments system!

Bear with us – it’s on the improve, and especially right now while we await the hopeful hatchings of three healthy new bobble-heads!

Scott (FalconCam Project)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/streaming-headaches/

I believe we’re in good hands with Scott and the FalconCam Project; however, every so often in life we’re reminded that you can't always get what you want - but if you try, sometimes, you just might find - you get what you need! (The Rolling Stones sang it well.) :)

Anyhow, I love this site, and I wish them success with their improvement plans!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 16:34 »
I really enjoyed the first egg of 2017 video (with sound!) by Cilla Kinross. :)

Xavier had been watching Diamond most attentively, and as soon as that first egg arrived he had so much to say! I’m still hoping CSU will eventually find a fix so we will also hear those very special sounds on their live cams.

Video of first egg laying can be found in the August 28th update.

Nice capture of the moment with Xavier in attendance ♥

by Cilla Kinross

Thank you, Cilla.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 23:49 by burdi »