Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / Ty & Ella  (Read 21090 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2018 / Ty & Ella
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2018, 18:16 »
Congratulations to Ty and Ella .... its a Boy!

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1015735118353313792

No question about his gender - didn't even have to measure.  Ty and Ella are close in size - she has more mass for sure, but when they are zipping & screaming as they fly past you it can be surprisingly hard to tell these two apart at first.  Ella has had a bad influence on our boy Ty - she's a very noisy, hair-trigger bird who doesn't settle down quickly and he's matching her beat for beat.  I hope she will settle down and be as ferocious as she likes but just a little shoot-first.  I also hope that with her experiences here this year, she will be able to handle more chicks next year - really don't want to make this rescuing chicks thing a habit, must too exhausting!!!

As always, thank you to Dennis for sharing his photos - he'll have more up on his photo gallery soon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 12:50 »
We are looking to band the lone chick at West Winnipeg sometime in the next week.

It will be nice to get another look at this chick - it was so soaking wet when we rescued it on day 3 in the middle of the storm that I didn't know if tot would make it.  Chick was perkier and drier when we brought him/her back the next morning and without the other three eggs to fuss over, Ella seems to have done quite well.  Chick seems to be right about where it should be at this age. 

Glad she had at least one chick to tend to, will hopefully just put her that much further ahead on the learning curve for next year!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2018, 12:16 »
It seems that it is not such a quite year for you after all.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27 »
A warm dry bed for the night & breakfast in the morning then back to the Ella & Ty. Other eggs showed no signs of hatching so we pulled them & checked their viability.

It sounds like a well timed intervention with a very successful outcome!

TPC, how do you check an egg for viability?

We did and they weren't  ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2018, 19:12 »
A warm dry bed for the night & breakfast in the morning then back to the Ella & Ty. Other eggs showed no signs of hatching so we pulled them & checked their viability.

It sounds like a well timed intervention with a very successful outcome!

TPC, how do you check an egg for viability?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2018, 19:48 »
We were in Winnipeg today for lunch at a restaurant close by the nest site, we could see the east side of the building from our table by the window.

I saw both falcons flying over and around the building, not at the same time though. One landing on a sign who looked like they had prey, I think it was Ella by size.  I think I saw a nest exchange because I saw one disappear on the roof and then a larger one appeared and flew around.  When we were leaving I watched a falcon fly to the south and disappear.

Couldn't ask for anything better than that! It was a great lunch for me!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2018, 20:35 »
I must agree that early take off has been bad from this site. If the chick frolicks on the rooftop, my wish is that we had cams like the time the Brandon chicks had the times of their live on he rooftop. So entertaining.  ;D
I’ve been wishing for a cam here for a number of years now, though so far, wishing hasn’t helped. But you never know! :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2018, 14:48 »
I must agree that early take off has been bad from this site. If the chick frolicks on the rooftop, my wish is that we had cams like the time the Brandon chicks had the times of their live on he rooftop. So entertaining.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 12:42 »
Ella (McKenzie 2015), would this be her 1st nesting, TPC? I'm only too happy there is at least one hatchling here at WW. Hope there are many photo ops, Dennis. Any updates on Logan?  ???

Yes, Ella's first nesting - and you can sure tell  ;D  Took her until today for her to feel comfortable to take the food closer to the chick during meal times -  up until now she has had to stretch a long long way and that impacted her ability to feed chick easily or accurately!  Ty is using his father's strategy at meal times - he catches food and drops it off so she has to leave to get it and he gets about 5 minutes with the tot before she comes back ... then he yells at her and doesn't want to get off.  He of course does get off the chick after a short protest.  It is very cute.

I'm glad there is at least one hatch here, would be even happier if there was more than one - solos drive me crazy.  Have to see what happens this time around.  Ty is better than most adults for hanging out near/at the nestbox on his "free time" so maybe that will make the chick more liable to stay safe until it is old enough to fledge.  Now Ella likes to sit on some window washing mounts on the rooftop (makes her invisible from the ground) so maybe that will be enough to get tot to run around on the roof rather the roof edge or trying to fly too soon.  Only time will tell ... but I'm crossing my fingers now in case I can "bank" some luck for later.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 12:35 »
Happy that they have at least one chick.

Could be a quiet year for you TPC (downtown & West Wpg). We'll have to see how Logan and any other sites do.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 10:23 »
Ella (McKenzie 2015), would this be her 1st nesting, TPC? I'm only too happy there is at least one hatchling here at WW. Hope there are many photo ops, Dennis. Any updates on Logan?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird