Author Topic: Logan - 2018 / Hart & Spencer  (Read 11023 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2018 / Hart & Spencer
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2018, 13:20 »
I am wondering if the chicks at this nest were named? And also whether there are any updates or sightings of them.

The chicks were named as part of a mash-up of name themes we had this year.  Started out the year with 4 peregrines in rehab that might potentially be releaseable this spring so I thought we'd name them after comets/meteors/meteor showers.  In the end, only 2 survived to be releaseable - the first was Lyra who was released during the, wait for it, Lyrid meteor shower.  Second bird decided he didn't want bands or a name and bolted when he was been caught for transport for his release.  Got to give he credit for knowing he was ready to go and wanting to go but it would have been nice to have a band on him.  Oh well, at least he's off and flying.  So names for the Logan chicks - Potter was the name that just appeared for our hand raised chick (the chick who lived and all that) but only if he was a male, which he was.  So what about his brother and sister?  Here's where the mashup came in.  For the boy - Sirius - both a astronomical entity (star) and a Potterverse entity (name of one of Harry Potter's kids).  For the girl - Luna - astronomical (the Moon) and Potterverse (Harry's daughter).  The astronomical associations were ones I already knew but not being so well-versed in the Potterverse I had to do a little research and it just so happened that all the, forgive me, stars aligned on those names.

Last sighting was of Potter and Luna hanging out together near the nestsite and seemingly doing very well.  Interestingly these two fledged at about the same time and found themselves in less than perfect early landing locations but they both managed to get themselves sorted and out of there.  Luna did better, Potter was rescued and returned to the roof and no problems after that.  Sirius was fine after he fledged right up until he collided with a building.  Looked like neurological damage but that seems to have been resolving itself when he died in care.  It might have been he wouldn't have fully recovered but he had been doing better.  Shock is a weird thing, some birds tolerate it better than others.  For Sirius it might have been a blessing - if his condition hadn't resolved itself more - this quality of life would have been so impaired that euthanasia would have been the only humane option.

Hadn't seen either of the adults for at least a couple of months until this week when I'm pretty sure it was Hart in the Radisson nestbox looking way to comfortable for Pip (pretty sure it was Pip) to tolerate.  Can't say that the boys were fighting off camera, there was just a couple of visits on a single day, and Hart has been last to leave for a number of years and it isn't unusual to see him at the Radisson before he goes.  I don't think he was expecting Pip to still be around though.  Interesting to see the kid chasing his dad out of the former's nestbox where the latter hatched years before.   ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 10:50 »
I am wondering if the chicks at this nest were named? And also whether there are any updates or sightings of them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 20:19 »
She is a beautiful falcon!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 22:55 »
It’s really good to know the remaining three chicks are doing well. Thank you for the update, TPC.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 18:51 »
Lovely photos RCF!

Offline kekes

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2018, 17:42 »
OMG Spencer is stunning!  Thank you Dennis! ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2018, 16:58 »
 8)
Thanks for sharing Dennis!

Spencer then & now.

She's lovely!  Here is Spencer just after she fledged.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 18:36 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2018, 16:45 »
TPC, did you ever hear much back regarding the transmitter project? Are they still tracking them? Are the transmitters still working? Do you have any information on the other transmitter birds? I don't expect an answer on this anytime soon, but when you have some time...

The only two birds left with transmitters as of this year were Spencer and Andamooka and both transmitters were working until this spring.  A couple of years ago, Kelly was around and she still had her transmitter but it had given up transmitting by that point.  We know of no other Manitoba birds with transmitters - functioning or otherwise - and haven't had any reports of birds with transmitters sighted or nesting elsewhere.  There were I believe only 5 birds that we can confirm survived their first year - Lily, Juliet, Kelly, Spencer and Andamooka (all females note).  I'm sorry I don't know the exact number of birds that had transmitters deployed but I think I remember the survival rate was the same as for birds without transmitters .... remember, mortality in the first year is 5-7 out of every 10.  I will however see if I can check those numbers and post here.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 12:51 »
Nice photos Dennis!

TPC, did you ever hear much back regarding the transmitter project? Are they still tracking them? Are the transmitters still working? Do you have any information on the other transmitter birds? I don't expect an answer on this anytime soon, but when you have some time...

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 07:12 »
Spencer then & now.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 19:40 »
Yes, there are three chicks at Logan.

Logan has been a busy site since the last post ... I'm afraid, without apologies, we were too busy and too day-by-day to post as we went along.  We really had no idea how it would turn out and we just needed to keep working on it/at it and knew we could tell the story afterwards.

The short version of the story is that 4 eggs hatched, chicks 1 and 2 okay from the start, chick 3 died, chick 4 almost died but didn't.  All three chicks and are all doing well now and knock-on-wood, they will continue to do fine right through fledging and migrating out of town!!

Longer version of the story with great photos will be finished shortly and I will post the link to the blog as soon as it is published!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 13:05 »
Spencer's and Hart's chicks 1 and 2 hatched on Sunday the 24th and chick 3 hatched on Monday the 25th but died (not enough, maybe not any, food) on the 25th not long after we retrieved him/her.  Since then Spencer has been a good protective mom (rain doesn't faze her in the least) but she is a bit stingy at mealtimes (amount of food) which for chicks is not generally a good thing. Hart's not used to getting near the kids to feed them when they are young, that was always Joli's domain.  Each pair is different so we are hoping that we are starting to see Hart get in there to be more hands-on at meal times even though the chicks are young and that his presence/influence/participation will help encourage Spencer to feed more (either in amounts or in frequency).  The chicks seem to be progressing, perhaps not as fast or as fat as we have seen under the care of other moms - Princess, Joli, Jules and Beatrix most notably.  I should say that Spencer perhaps comes by it naturally - Hurricane was a bit of a light feeder when she started out too as I recall but she had Brooklyn as a mate and RCF can confirm but my memories of them in their early years (and maybe later years together too) was that they shared a lot more of the early chick-raising of duties right from the start than say other pairs.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 22:39 »
awe, this  is  so common with first time moms
so sorry