Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2018 / Sol & Hurricane  (Read 13535 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2018 / Sol & Hurricane
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 15:05 »
When I was in Brandon last week, I was checking out the birds from that the office supply store's parking lot - right across from the Massey Building condo block.  It will be weird to be back there in a while and have it looks so different - it has basically looked the same since I started with the Project ... gods a very very long time ago ... not sure if I didn't have drinks where the beer vendor is way back in my undergrad days when we had a urban planning field course out in Brandon ...

Having seen how solidly McKenzie Seeds was built in 1910 and that the Massey Building is of an age (built in 1913) I hope the bones of the building survives and that they are able to repair/renovate again.  There are a number of these beautiful old buildings by the rail lines in Brandon that really should be given a second (or third) lease on life.  Great bones, great (really really great views), out of range of flood damage and while it doesn't take a particularly long time to get anywhere in Brandon, the downtown is going through a bit of a commercial revitalization that would really boost the appeal of living downtown and living downtown would really boost the revitalization.  Same could be said for lots of places but Brandon's downtown has a nice size/feel to it that could make it easier or perhaps more appealing for developers.  And it isn't as though Brandon doesn't have the need for more housing.  Would be nice to think it doesn't all come down to money - that helping other businesses, helping people and helping the community overall might play a role.  Or maybe I'm just too much of an optimist.  :P

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 14:40 »
I was also watching the fires and trying to keep an eye on wind direction - knowing that the Brandon nest was only a short distance away!

Thanks for all the updates ... it's good to know the falcons are okay.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 09:34 »
I was watching the fire live on Facebook. It was horrific. So many people affected.  :'( :-[ :'(

I’m really happy to hear the falcons are ok and doing what the do best.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 09:02 »
Two buildings that I know of were total losses.  A beer vendor with attached vacant night club and the Christie's Supply which had been in business since 1881.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1057735331034230.1073741826.151534721654300&type=3
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:23 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 08:30 »
Yes, Rose and I had been down there in the morning before and after a bit of shopping, didn't see any falcons.  I took her home after, then went back down town. I could see the black smoke on my way there and thought the parkade was was on fire.  :o

I parked about two blocks west of the McKenzie building. If the wind had been from the other direction I don't think it would have been good for the falcons, I took some photos and went home.  I went back after eight o'oclock in the evening to check on them.  There was a nest exchange so they are fine and I will be checking again today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 02:56 »
Big fire in downtown Brandon just a 3 blocks from McKenzie Seeds.  The fire started in one building then embers ignited a building across the street. Second building had been converted to condos.  The converted building is similar in age and structure to McKenzie Seeds.

Risk of fire spreading in 'horrific and tragic' Brandon blaze likely passed, say authorities
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/brandon-fire-may-19-1.4670906

Massey Building
http://heritagebrandon.ca/8-heritage/335-638-pacific-avenue

McKenzie Seeds
http://heritagebrandon.ca/13-built-heritage/226-30-9th-street
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/aemckenziebuilding.shtml

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 18:19 »
Not much going on here with the peregrines since they have been incubating. I only see one or the other in the morning or the afternoon. Today about 6:30 a.m. Hurricane was taking a break on the communications tower and this afternoon Sol was up there.

Hurricane

Sol

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 22:37 »
Great news! I will be in Brandon Fri so plan to check them out.   :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 16:16 »
great news.   :-*

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 12:42 »
Great!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 10:36 »
I think Hurricane and Sol are incubating now. The past few days I have been seeing one perched close by and the other in the box.

You can just see Sol peeking over the ledge.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 13:38 »
beautiful pictures