Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 14528 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 22:10 »
Thank you for the updates, burdi!

Congratulations to Diamond and Xavier on their first egg!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 22:31 by Alison »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 20:57 »
First egg arrived early in the morning on August 20 at 2:07 am! I’m so happy for them.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 20:38 »
I enjoyed the videos in this spring cleaning update and hope you don't miss them! :)  Xavier and Diamond were both present and clearly in protection mode - good thing Cilla wiped the cams quickly!

Disturbance for spring cleaning

Published 17 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

I had to give the birds a bit of a fright this morning as the lenses were a bit grubby and it looked like this will be my last chance before the breeding season.  Diamond is looking quite broody and both birds have been doing a lot of scrape preparation.  Diamond in fact spent part of the nest in the scrape (but she’s not straining as yet).  So, although it’s unlikely that we will have eggs for a week, it’s entirely possible any day.

The videos are broken into three to make them a bit easier to handle.    Cheers  Cilla

All three videos by Cilla are in mp4 format.

20180818 disturbance 1

20180818 disturbance 2

20180818 disturbance 3 hummingbird

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/disturbance-for-spring-cleaning/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 20:25 »
I’ve seen Xavier wait hours with a rejected gift and that saddened me as I strongly felt he was trying his very best. However, over the past few days Xavier seems to realize there’s little value in waiting with his gift once Diamond has rejected it … and now I’ve noticed he’s beginning to persist only when she hasn’t yet seen his gift (which will certainly save him from wasting a lot of time). For instance, on August 12 Xavier arrived with prey at 2:41 pm, but Diamond didn’t show up (she was likely busy with something else), so although he left in about 40 minutes he continued to persist - coming in and out a few more times - until Diamond finally arrived at 3:50 pm and quickly grabbed the prey! Xavier was pleased she accepted and went straight to work on their scrape. :)  These birds are so intelligent and quite often they’re able to work things out very well.

I suppose Diamond simply dislikes the taste of starling, though I’ve also wondered if she might have experienced an unpleasant reaction and wants to avoid that again. Well, whatever the reason, I do hope that Xavier enjoys a meal from the prey she refuses.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 18:06 »
Early Saturday morning, August 11, Xavier arrived at 6:04 am and the pair enjoyed what appeared (to me) to be a very meaningful interaction. Xavier made half a circle around Diamond before both stood very still - and close - while seemingly whispering words of love to each other. :-*  Xavier left about three minutes later ... and Diamond didn’t even move her feet until 6:09 am!!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 17:56 »
On the 10th of August Xavier arrived before Diamond had a chance to leave, so they took the opportunity for a nice bonding session. And at 7:20 am Diamond was happy to receive the right prey, and Xavier appeared pleased. Then they enjoyed another bonding at 11:04 am and another acceptable gift an hour later! It was a busy morning.

Later, at 1:29 pm, Diamond stopped by the nest box and Xavier danced a complete circle around his lovely mate - though he left rather quickly.

And at 5:39 pm Xavier brought in a starling, but Diamond refused to come near it! He waited only a couple minutes then flew away with the starling.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 17:55 »
Thursday morning, August 9, Diamond left the nest box at 6:05 am. Xavier quickly arrived though appeared to have accidentally landed on the tiny lower ledge we can't see. He might have banged his foot a bit but didn't lose his balance and immediately jumped up to the ledge.

Diamond returned at 6:13 am and the pair enjoyed a short dance. At 11:49 am they had another short dance, and at 2:07 pm they arrived at the nest box together and appeared to enjoy an extra sweet session.

Also, Xavier seems to be improving in his choice of prey for Diamond. He brought a gift which she readily accepted at 8:50 am, then at 3:50 pm he succeeded again! I hope he continues to please her. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 17:53 »
Diamond has been very particular about the prey she accepts and usually leaves immediately when it’s not to her liking. She also tends to stay away until it’s removed!

On August 8 Diamond refused a prey offering at 8:21 am and she left quickly. Xavier waited with the hope that Diamond would change her mind, but after waiting 25 minutes he left. Then he returned with the same prey at 9:02 am. Surprisingly, at 9:10 am, Diamond actually did return - even though the prey she didn’t want was there! Well, poor Xavier appeared quite perplexed when she still had no desire for his offering and he left rather quickly, taking the prey with him ... perhaps he was feeling hurt after trying so hard to please her. :(  Diamond stayed a few hours; however, I assume Xavier gave up on trying a third time.

Later, at 1:09 pm, Xavier was relaxing on the ledge when Diamond came by for a bit of loving which lasted about a minute. Xavier then appeared to be waiting for her to return, and at 2:01 pm, she did! And this time the couple enjoyed an extra sweet meeting which lasted nearly two minutes! Xavier only partially circled around Diamond before both stood still in a bowing position - speaking ever so softly to each other. 

And just before sunset Xavier arrived with another irresistible gift! Diamond tripped on the ledge while rushing out but seemed fine upon her return at 5:56 pm, and she quickly settled down for a good night's sleep.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 17:49 »
I’m posting some observations I wasn’t able to get to earlier - so I’ll be sure to include their dates - sorry they’re late.

On the afternoon of August 7 at 4:34 pm - Orange time - I was happy to see Xavier arrive with an acceptable gift for Diamond. She wasted absolutely no time grabbing the prey and off she went! I suppose the very fact she accepted it was interpreted by Xavier as a huge thank you. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:21 »
A courtship moment

Published 10 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Prey is coming in regularly now as Xavier proves his worth and Diamond either takes it (yum, pigeon) or rejects it (yuk, starling).  As I still have no recording softward, prey identification is a bit hit and miss at the moment.  If you have screenshots, I’d love to see them.

As Sue and others have discovered, mating has been frequent and noisy (but not visible, at least I haven’t seen it).  Here we have a more sedate bowing session.   Cheers Cilla

Video by Cilla: 20180810 D and X circling and bowing (avi format)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/a-courtship-moment/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 19:25 »
Cilla explains that Diamond is getting fussy with starling in the following update. Check out the "scorned starling" video to see an example of how quickly she refuses the starling prey!

Love is in the air

Published 3 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

No pere pawn visuals today, alas, but we caught them in flagrente at the top of the tower on Saturday.   Sue helped out by finding a youtube of visuals with audio, so we are pretty confident that mating has happened…and it’s probably not the first time.  Expect eggs in about three weeks.  Enjoy.

Video by Cilla: 20180728 mating calls (mp4 format)

Video by Cilla: 20180728 q mating calls (mkv format)

We’ve also noticed that Diamond is getting distinctly fussy about accepting starling as an ‘offering’.   I know she’ll eat starlings when hungry, or with a brood to feed, but it’s interesting that she’s rejecting most of them at this stage.  Of course, he’s much smaller than she is, so it’s harder for him to tackle the larger, plumper birds such as pigeons and parrots, but my guess is that he needs to try and that’s the message she’s trying to give.    He did bring in a magpie-lark the other day, which I’m guess would be a lot tastier than a starling, so he’s trying!

Video by Cilla: 20180731 scorned starling nest short (avi format)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/love-is-in-the-air/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 19:30 »
Cilla added a new update!

Tidy handover of prey

Published 27 July, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Mr Xavier has been getting quite busy over the last week or two, bringing prey to the box.  Up until recently, he has either teased Diamond with it and then flown off (still with the prey), or had a short tug of war with her over it (which she wins, being Mama Muscle).  But this week, he is beginning to remember that he actually has to hand over the prey to Diamond before he gets his reward…

Here he is performing very well.  You see Diamond first, leaving and returning, then Xavier (male) arriving with the prey.   I can’t quite see what the prey is (I need to clean the lenses, but I’ll do that on Monday as rain expected over the weekend).   About the size of a starling, and dark, but with some white feathers too, I think.   I’ve attached the video in two formats, MP4 and avi.

Thanks to Sue Hines, whose eagle eyes and fidelity led me to be able to record this.  The recording software is still not operational, so I’m using Movavi Screen Recorder.

Video by Cilla: 20180727 Tidy handover of prey (MP4)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/tidy-handover-of-prey/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 19:16 »
Xavier has gradually become much more willing to hand prey to Diamond, without any tugging!

I haven’t kept a close watch but seem to recall a smooth handover on July 22nd at 3:08 pm (Orange time). And I believe it was about 30 minutes later when the couple enjoyed an afternoon dance.

This morning, Diamond left the box at 6:36 am and Xavier arrived 14 seconds later, but stayed only a minute. Diamond then returned at 7:29 am, and I believe she was pleased when Xavier brought in her breakfast at 7:31 am; Xavier is treating her well!  :)

And just as I was about to leave the cam a short meeting took place, but this time Xavier had been waiting at the box, and Diamond arrived at 8:34 am. I hope they have a great day!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 21:30 »
Lately it has been unusually cold in some areas of New South Wales, including Orange.

The following ABC News story describes how some people and animals were affected by the cold in various areas of NSW, including Orange.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-15/temperatures-plummet-as-cold-snap-hits-nsw/9995858

It’s good to see the temperatures are improving.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 21:05 »
The 2018 breeding season at Charles Sturt University has now begun, and Cilla is providing updates again.

Every so often (during the past five months or so) I was pleasantly surprised to spot Diamond or Xavier in their nest box; more recently, I’m finding Diamond in the box every night, and Xavier tends to arrive shortly after she leaves. They meet frequently and Xavier has even brought in prey, but so far (at least from what I’ve seen), he doesn’t wish to hand it over! I find him interesting and quite comical at times.

I’m hoping for a successful and cheerful season with the peregrines and the great folks at the FalconCam Project.

Published 4 July, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Well, this is just to say that I have finally had my access restored to the website today, so have been able to start a new thread.   The chat on the Youtube works well, but of course there is no record, it just disappears after a few hours, so you have to be there practically all the time, which isn’t possible.

The Milestone recording software is still not working, however, I can make some videos with the screen recording device.   That works well, except I can’t do it 100% of the time (that means camping at the uni!), so of course will often miss important milestones until it’s operational again.  The Youtube stores images for four hours only.

Anyway, this is a good start and from next week, I’ll start my weekly updates, usually on Fridays, becoming more frequent as the breeding season progresses.

Our couple, Diamond and Xavier, are busy courting and he has even brought food into the box (just once, and he didn’t actually give it to Diamond but, cheekily, flew off with it, as is his wont!  But it all augus well for a good season.

I’ve recently received a generous grant, so am hoping to start the analysis of the prey remains from the last six years.  I’m no longer collecting behaviural data on a regular basis (that needs the proper recording software), but could add to the prey data this season and gather general breeding information.

Many thanks for your patience and fingers crossed I don’t get ‘barred’ again!

Cilla Kinross

Source: FalconCam Project