Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 14521 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 03:29 »
Dusk was close and I was beginning to worry there would be no dinner, but Xavier succeeded and there was plenty for both of them! I believe he had a meal before bringing the remainder to Diamond at 5:54 pm, though he didn’t get much time on the eggs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 23:56 »
Xavier was able to get back on the eggs at 12:50 pm which was just a minute after Diamond joined him for some mating on the roof, and even while Xavier was trying to settle on the eggs they still kept calling back and forth, and all was fine. But when Diamond returned at 1:38 pm I think she told Xavier that she was ready to take over - like it or not!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 20:10 »
At 8:04 am Xavier brought in a small breakfast which Diamond eagerly accepted, so he happily took over egg duty but didn't get to stay too long as Diamond returned an hour later.

Xavier then returned at 10:17 am (without food) and sat on the ledge awhile before flying off about 10 minutes later. His crop didn’t appear full to me, and I believe he’s trying his best to please Diamond.  :(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 16:38 »
Good morning everyone, or ... um whatever the time of day happens to be right now ... so I'm wondering if Xavier will bring in breakfast for Diamond today.

Actually, Xavier did stop by already but only got a peek at the eggs as Diamond stood up for only a bit before settling back down.

Diamond finally went out for a break at 7:04 and came back in a couple minutes. At least the weather is better today so that may be helpful, I hope.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 18:34 »
Xavier returned at 8:20 to begin his shift (no food brought in but maybe it was stashed), though I have a feeling he wasn't able to catch anything. Perhaps Diamond will succeed.

I must leave soon but may be back later.

Hope you are all enjoying your day!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 17:00 »
Currently it is raining in Orange and they certainly need that rain, but hopefully Xavier and Diamond will be able to find enough food as Cilla often mentions that it's more difficult when raining.

Xavier has already stopped by but did not bring any breakfast; he went out to try again, but he hasn't yet returned.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45 »
Diamond laid her third egg on August 24, about 10:56 pm. She looked exhausted.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44 »
On August 24 at 6:30 am, just as Xavier was on his way in with a starling, Diamond quickly left the nest box; I suppose she saw his offering and wasn’t pleased! But all seemed fine when they were mating on the ledge … first at 6:35 am, and again at 7:42 am.

A little later, Xavier brought a gift that Diamond readily accepted, and he then headed straight to those precious eggs and snuggled down, about 9:05 am.

And it appears that Diamond accepted a starling at 12:57 pm. At least I hope she did because they’re more plentiful, also a little easier for Xavier to handle.

I’m glad Diamond was able to take a short break when Xavier came in at 5:36 pm, and hopefully she found something to eat because Xavier had nothing. Diamond returned at 6:05 pm.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 21:43 »
Thank you for the nice pictures of Xavier and Diamond with their eggs, Alison.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 21:38 »
And then there were two

Published 22 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

All going according to plan, the second arrived just after midnight last night.   Here is Diamond leaving her eggs when Xavier brings in some prey (probably well chewed over pigeon) and takes over incubating.

With any luck number three will arrive tomorrow – and you never know, we could have a fourth, although it hasn’t happened at this site before.

Diamond being relieved of incubation duties
for some munchies

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 16:05 »
Yesterday, Diamond laid her second beautiful egg:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 15:49 »
Xavier incubating:

Diamond protecting her first egg, while she prepares to lay her second egg:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 15:54 by Alison »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 23:10 »
The second egg for 2018 was laid August 22, about 12:22 pm. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 23:06 »
First egg for Diamond

Published 21 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The first egg arrived at 0207 on Monday morning.   I’m afraid I missed the actual event.  But it was filmed by BirdieCam in the Northern Hemisphere (Holland?) and her youtube channel can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQvWQiUyDp6oNMlgO6_Jcew

but here is an early glimpse.

Egg number 1 – quite early

Video: 20180820 1st egg 0207 h

I expect egg number two tonight.  And hopefully at least a third in a day or two.  The female will only sporadically incubate until all her eggs are lain, so they are in ‘sync’, so don’t worry if she seems to leave them.  She won’t be far away!

I noticed that Xavier came in with a tiny prey yesterday (thanks to an observant peregrine watcher!) and I’m 99 % sure it was a superb fairy wren – barely a beakful and a first in my books!

Entire update: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/first-egg-for-diamond/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 03:38 »
Xavier came in just before sunset and presented Diamond with a little gift at 5:31 pm; he then went to sit on their egg for about 10 minutes and left the nest box at 5:40 pm. Diamond returned at 6:09 pm and snuggled down on their egg.

I haven’t been able to track much today but should mention that the nights are still quite frosty in Orange, and on August 19 (just yesterday) it was cold, wet, and very windy!