Author Topic: Fargo - 2018 / ? & ?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Fargo - 2018 / ? & ?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 13:03 »
Fargo is a bit of a sticky wicket at the moment.  The Audubon folks are the ones overseeing the location and they have been totally uncommunicative (with anyone) and keep threatening to take their toys and go home.    A peregrine friend of mine did take a run through Fargo a couple of times and saw who he believes is Annie (Annie only has one leg band now - two legs but only one band) and a female he couldn't identify.  Not even sure the female had bands but will have to check on that - and check and see if he went by after I spoke with him a few months ago.  There was no nesting behaviour however either of the times he was there (and yes, he'd recognize the behaviour  ;D)

As for the birds not calling the bank home, well, that's crap, that's where they have been for the last two summers, just no nesting.  Which isn't surprising since Miracle moved to another nest and new mates don't always click in their first or even second year.

I will make a call to a friend who is on better terms with the Audubon folks and see if she has any news.  Will post if I hear anything.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Fargo - 2018 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:48 »
I have been unable to find information on the Fargo peregrines for 2018. No updates from Audubon, no news stories or other information.

The only somewhat relevant item is from July 2018 regarding the removal of the Bank of the West sign. I came across it this morning.

Bank facelift removes sign that previously housed Fargo's famous falcons

FARGO—A long-time sight in Downtown Fargo is in its final days.

As Bank of the West along Main Avenue undergoes a facelift, another mainstay is changing with it.

Cranes are busy removing and replacing the familiar lettering of the Bank of the West.

A manager of the bank tells WDAY the massive letters are being replaced with a new sign, which features the bank's parent company, BNP Paribas.

Within the next week, the familiar letters should be a thing of the past.

But the sign may be known as much for birds, as it is for a bear.

Since the early 90's, peregrine falcons called the massive sign home, nestling up right in the lettering, in a man-made nest box.

A website dedicated to the "Fargo Falcons" popped up in the past, even a live stream of the nest for people to enjoy, thanks to Audubon Dakota.

But the famous flyers haven't called the bank home for a few years.

Metro falcons have been more keen to call the Anheuser-Busch plant home in recent years.

After speaking with Audubon Dakota, it's not immediately clear what the sign change means for the future of Falcons in the Fargo skyline.

http://www.wday.com/news/4474589-bank-facelift-removes-sign-previously-housed-fargos-famous-falcons