Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 37487 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2019, 17:20 »
(And hopefully there will at least be a sighting of Princess so we know she's ok)  :-* 

We will always keep an eye out for Princess, no worries!

And as much as I love Princess, Fiona is so far a pretty solid resident female which is nice to see in a first time nester.  She's been velcroed to her eggs for the last few days, rain or shine.  I don't know whether to hope her eggs don't hatch so her chicks aren't at risk if we have poor weather OR hope they do because I'd like to see what she does next.  Pretty good bloodlines in this bird too, - Miracle had a good tenure in Fargo with Annie, Terminator was kick butt in Grand Forks (Fiona's grandmother), Frieda (Fiona's other grandmother), Phoebe (Terminator's mom), Maud (Phoebe's mom) and MF-1 in Minneapolis (through Frieda & Terminator/Phoebe/Maud) were all pretty darn successful resident females.  Will be interesting to see if she lives up to her ancestry!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2019, 19:39 »
Yes me also to all you said ballywing. 

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2019, 16:26 »
Well I have to admit, although I'm sad about Princess not being at the Radisson for the first time in ages  :-\  and although it would also be the first time in ages with no web cam at that site  :( - the dang east ledge site does tend to be hard to watch.  ::)
(I'm not talking about technical issues, which of course are also a factor).
I've spent a few seasons fretting.... and crying..... and cursing  ;).... over that location's dramas over the years.  :-X - I really do want to see what's going on and how they're all doing - but when things go wrong - man that's upsetting to see.  :'(
Nature doesn't always do what we would like of course.
So whatever you decide TPC, I will as usual, watch the good with the bad at whatever site is chosen. - Good luck to all the Winnipeg nests this year!  :-* 8)
(And hopefully there will at least be a sighting of Princess so we know she's ok)  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2019, 07:27 »
Rain didn't hit the nest ledge until about 0610h (it's 0726h now) so Fiona is a bit wet but the rain hasn't been long enough or hard enough to be a worry for the eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2019, 13:31 »
Do you know yet if there will be a live cam on the ledge TPC?  :)

Two part answer again ...
1) we are working on the cam details now with our eye to the usual launch prior to eggs hatching.  But  until it goes live, it is still a work in progress.
2) not sure if we will stream from the Radisson nestsite this year ... the east side ledge is a tough one to watch, not because it has a higher mortality rate than other nestistes (though that doesn't help) but rather because the camera can only zoom in so close AND when zoomed in, is very affected by the weather - in particular, wind.  Any little breeze shakes the camera and those shakes are much more noticeable when we are zoomed in on the nestledge.  Also the heat radiating off the building causes distortions in the image, so the camera is constantly refocusing - again makes it less viewable.  Those are technical considerations.  On the operational side, we won't be able to see the chicks well at the Radisson (not enough zoom) whereas we could get that at the West Winnipeg site or perhaps even at the Logan site.  And then there are the moms.  Ella (West Wpg) did really well last year with her one chick, this year she could have a trio but she should do just as well.  Spencer (Logan) sucked at the start and got better and hopefully this year will see her really shine but we will have to wait and see.  Fiona (Radisson) is a bit of a wild card.  She's done everything right up to this point so I'm hopefully she will do well at hands-on-motherhood as well.  I do have a concern that her eggs may have suffered as a result of the fight in the nestbox.  And being honest, I'm concerned about bad weather on that darn ledge.

So we are working on the technical details of the camera at the moment and will make a final decision on which nestsite to stream later.  And as an FYI, we streamed from the West Wpg nestbox once before I think ... but can't remember why ... maybe the year Princess lost eggs on the nestledge ... going to have to go back through the records I guess.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2019, 09:14 »
Do you know yet if there will be a live cam on the ledge TPC?  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2019, 10:31 »
Could this possibly be the 'Challenger' that Fiona had the fight with? - Or do you still think it may have been Princess?  ???

Two questions here

Nope, no bands on either leg on the Visitor Bird.  Easy to see on the bird's first visit as it (I believe she) sat right in front of the balcony cam and it picks up light differently because of the angle.  Second night, bird came in for a landing that showed both legs with nary a piece of bling on them.

Do I think Fiona's Challenger was Princess? Yes.  Princess has a bi-coloured band on one leg and her "silver" band is anodized so shows pink.  A couple of times during the video as the birds rolled and slashed past the camera, I saw these same colours on leg bands.  Could it have been another bird with this combination? Yes, but the combination was only used for a few years and the only one we have had is Princess.  The behaviour fits as well.  Fiona was napping on the box edge and barely missed being barrelled into by the arriving bird.  The number of times I have seen Princess arrive at her box this way in the Spring, well, I've almost lost count.  Usually no one is here waiting for her so there is a lot of yelling and posturing and then she's back in command.  It is not however the first time Princess has had a knock-down drag out fight.  A few years ago she looked fine one morning and 3 hours later looked like heck.  And for a bird that hates the inside of the nestbox unless she's got eggs or small chicks, she spent 3-4 days & nights napping safely undercover.  So Princess knows how to fight and win, and likely would have here I think had Fiona not been here so long and been a week away from laying eggs and therefore very committed to holding onto "her" nestsite.

(and yes, we continue to look for Princess wherever we are travelling and working  :))

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2019, 20:13 »
Could this possibly be the 'Challenger' that Fiona had the fight with? - Or do you still think it may have been Princess?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 13:54 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1122934939773747200

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1122936314507214848

(and to be clear - this photo was captured at 2330h last night - without flashes or night lights or infrared - very cool)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2019, 21:01 »
 Stupid Ledge  :-[ :-\ :'( :( ::)