Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 6446 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2019, 15:47 »
:'( :'( :'(

No news is good new remember .... (fingers crossed knock on wood)

I know, I'm just weepy as it's the end of an era.  I hope, if it was Princess, - that she stays safe where ever she ends up.  She gave us many years of joy.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & ?
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2019, 15:57 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1120404007820898304
Not making any assumptions/conclusions,  given the Challenger flew off, and Fiona reserving her right to the nestbox, what does that mean for both the challenger and Fiona?
After a 46 minute battle, could we expect to see another challenge?
If not, and Fiona is the female in charge, what happens to the Challenger?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2019, 16:23 »
Fiona's brother from 2018 has shown up in Brandon and hanging out with Hurricane.   ;D

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,4674.msg106042.html#msg106042

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 16:58 »
yeah!!! was waiting for another at Brandon  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 17:13 »
please do not think because one bird lost a nest box , it is doomed. this happened to Miss Edmonton twice. She went away and licked her wounds and healed and 2 years later, had her own site. Now if this  was Princess, I realize sh e is older but also wise enough  to know to leave and heal.
years ago in San Jose, Fernando came along and beat out older male. that male was spotted a few weeks later not far from campus  and he stayed there , out of harms way. He also went back to same spot the next year , out o f harms way. He seemed to know his time was up. He was now into retirement.

we had a male DO1 a t WEber, that we watched from  ground. He lost Weber site, but last year we found him at misercordia. He was n o spring chicken.

you do not know for sure who it was, but regardless, I saw 4 really bad fights in Edmonton last year. some appear worse than they are as  they  are on backs a lot with talons locked. WE have seen a few on cams , where people thought there must be one injured or deceased and two of these have turned up at other sites.
So the saying  , no news i s good news is just that. 
when viewing a cam, turn off sound when viewing a fight. Sound makes it  sound worse than it is.
talons crossed.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2019, 21:27 »
Ella had a much shorter but very vigorous fight with Faith last year and in the end had just 1 of 4 viable eggs. Neither Faith nor Ella had any noticeable injuries or impairments yet having been with Hart for I believe more than a month, Faith who was no shy retiring female lost to Spencer who was not nearly her equal. I wasn't sure if at 2 years Fiona would nest successfully, it's a kind of grey period when they should be able to but don't or do but don't have viable eggs. Fiona is young based on her behaviour - she wasn't really interested in Pip's advances or wasn't responding as though she did. Maybe just a slow start as he has been very attentive. Now I wonder if she does lay eggs will they be viable ... and what will be her (and Pip's) response if they are non-viable.  Heck don't even know when we might have eggs - new pairings often take a bit longer at first.

All we can do is wait and see I guess ....😶

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2019, 21:52 »
I realize that I'm in denial and most certainly sentimental, but until there's reason to know otherwise, I'm going to believe that Princess is finished raising kids and is still down south, sipping on a martini and that the Challenger is simply another female after the prime real estate. ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2019, 08:30 »
radisson was 2 when she came to Edmonton. she had to fight for the nest.
she had one chick that first year ( 2 eggs) . she nested late. so all is possible
she has never looked  back
so fingers crossed.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2019, 08:32 »
yes, radisson ha d two egg late may, on e hatched and she fledged around aug12. Gord put in another juvenile female just at fledge, from  Re d deer.
it was a great year that year.  radisson had super dad as her teacher and has done her well.

so fingers crossed
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:43 by bev. »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2019, 15:17 »
Oh NO!!! - I hope it wasn't Princess - I mean I'd love to see her back.... but not to have her injured and lose a major fight like that.  :-\ - Last time she came back to town, everyone cleared out for her - but it seems Fiona is a little spitfire!  :-X

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 06:32 »
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!  :o :-\ - Happy there's an egg....but sad it's not Princess for the first time since I"ve been following........... :'( and of all places, the east ledge! ...sigh.  :-X
Hoping for the best and sure hope Princess is ok - if it was her fighting for her spot - I'd hate to see her go out this way.   :-[ 8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:28 by ballywing »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42 »
I agree with you, Bally!  Princess has been there every year since I've been following as well.  Seems surreal to have someone else in her territory.  I wish all the best for Fiona of course, but it just seems all wrong for Princess to be ousted.  When you think of it though, who else would fight so hard for this nest site?  :'(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14 »
Sigh, indeed. :-\   After fighting fiercely for the nest box, why did Fiona turn her back and lay on the ledge?  pffft! birdbrain...

Last year Princess had a mate but an empty nest, and this year looks to be without mate and nest.
I'm wanting to believe this, No news is good news.  Perhaps Princess will now head off to the marsh to hang with juvies who also aren't breeding this year.

Are peregrines hardwired to know how to retire? 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 15:33 »
Sigh, indeed. :-\   After fighting fiercely for the nest box, why did Fiona turn her back and lay on the ledge?  pffft! birdbrain... 

I'm not a fan of the east-side ledge as you all know but I think perhaps Fiona gets some leeway this year.  Young bird, new to Manitoba, first time as a resident female and what all that entails, hellacious (yes, there really is no other way to describe it) fight in the nestbox and first time at the Radisson which is different from being a resident female because there is more activity at the Radisson on a daily basis than other places which she just wouldn't be used to yet - including window-washing and some exterior wall inspections.  We watched Pip sitting on the roof watching everything quietly but this would all be new and probably freaky for Fiona, especially after the fight.  So I'm willing to give her a pass on her choice this year but if she's back next year, her choice of nestsite needs to improve.  ;)

Last year Princess had a mate but an empty nest, and this year looks to be without mate and nest.
I'm wanting to believe this, No news is good news.  Perhaps Princess will now head off to the marsh to hang with juvies who also aren't breeding this year.
Are peregrines hardwired to know how to retire?

Do peregrines know how to retire, well Madame remained in the City for two summers after Princess replaced her at the Radisson.  Burnsie hung out at the St Boniface Basilica for a couple of years too I think.  And though not quite the same, Trey had a very successful career as an ambassador after he was injured on migration and Beau is doing well as a breeding bird.  So are peregrines hardwired to retire, most don't survive long enough to find out.  Can some birds have a retirement, the answer is yes. How many I couldn't say, perhaps more of our birds have over the years retired to a life of marsh-surfing, no way to really know.