Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 6434 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2019, 09:55 »
Hopefully we can at least learn if that was Princess who was fighting for her nest - and if she's ok.  :-\ - I think I'd rather she didn't come back at all than think of her as banished from her kingdom  :'( - then as Susha says we can imagine her enjoying a well-earned restful retirement elsewhere.  :-* ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 22:53 »
Still just one egg at the Radisson as of 10pm this evening.  Both Pip and Fiona have been with the egg constantly today so they are already hitting their stride.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32 »
Up-date required...just sayin  ???

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55 »
Is there a camera set up where we can watch, I remember Shaw had one but haven't seen it for awhile.  It was on YouTube too.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2019, 12:17 »
Up-date required...just sayin  ???

Dennis was up very early this morning as saw a second egg at the Radisson.  Nothing there last night before it got too dark to see on-camera so definitely laid in the dark hours :)  Will be interesting to see how many Fiona lays in total and how many hatch given the ferocity of last week's fight in the nestbox.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2019, 12:22 »
Is there a camera set up where we can watch, I remember Shaw had one but haven't seen it for awhile.  It was on YouTube too.

There is a camera at the Radisson and we are working on the webcam arrangements for this year.  Not sure it will be the Radisson though, in part because the east side cam is much more exposed to the wind, so when we zoom in, even a lighter wind can make the camera shake and that doesn't make for good viewing.  It may be that this year's cam will be Ty and Ella at West Winnipeg or maybe even Spencer and Hart at Logan. 

As for when the cam will be viewable, that will depend on which nestsite we decide to go with and getting the camera streams all tested to make sure they are stable for viewing.  YouTube Live was designed for short events - like a concert or a day long event.  Leaving it running for weeks at a time sometimes gives it headaches.  We can deal with the headaches we would just like to make sure we have as few of them as possible as we know how frustrating it can be for viewers.

More news on the cameras when I've got a few more details sorted out, but since we are still in the egg-laying phase, I suspect y'all have got at least another couple of weeks to wait.  If it all goes smoother than we suspect (based on past experience) then we will certainly launch it sooner.  And yes, we will for sure let folks know when we are going live!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2019, 20:33 »
too bad on th e ledge

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2019, 21:01 »
 Stupid Ledge  :-[ :-\ :'( :( ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 13:54 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1122934939773747200

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1122936314507214848

(and to be clear - this photo was captured at 2330h last night - without flashes or night lights or infrared - very cool)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2019, 20:13 »
Could this possibly be the 'Challenger' that Fiona had the fight with? - Or do you still think it may have been Princess?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2019, 10:31 »
Could this possibly be the 'Challenger' that Fiona had the fight with? - Or do you still think it may have been Princess?  ???

Two questions here

Nope, no bands on either leg on the Visitor Bird.  Easy to see on the bird's first visit as it (I believe she) sat right in front of the balcony cam and it picks up light differently because of the angle.  Second night, bird came in for a landing that showed both legs with nary a piece of bling on them.

Do I think Fiona's Challenger was Princess? Yes.  Princess has a bi-coloured band on one leg and her "silver" band is anodized so shows pink.  A couple of times during the video as the birds rolled and slashed past the camera, I saw these same colours on leg bands.  Could it have been another bird with this combination? Yes, but the combination was only used for a few years and the only one we have had is Princess.  The behaviour fits as well.  Fiona was napping on the box edge and barely missed being barrelled into by the arriving bird.  The number of times I have seen Princess arrive at her box this way in the Spring, well, I've almost lost count.  Usually no one is here waiting for her so there is a lot of yelling and posturing and then she's back in command.  It is not however the first time Princess has had a knock-down drag out fight.  A few years ago she looked fine one morning and 3 hours later looked like heck.  And for a bird that hates the inside of the nestbox unless she's got eggs or small chicks, she spent 3-4 days & nights napping safely undercover.  So Princess knows how to fight and win, and likely would have here I think had Fiona not been here so long and been a week away from laying eggs and therefore very committed to holding onto "her" nestsite.

(and yes, we continue to look for Princess wherever we are travelling and working  :))