Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 37500 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2019, 15:17 »
Oh NO!!! - I hope it wasn't Princess - I mean I'd love to see her back.... but not to have her injured and lose a major fight like that.  :-\ - Last time she came back to town, everyone cleared out for her - but it seems Fiona is a little spitfire!  :-X

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2019, 08:32 »
yes, radisson ha d two egg late may, on e hatched and she fledged around aug12. Gord put in another juvenile female just at fledge, from  Re d deer.
it was a great year that year.  radisson had super dad as her teacher and has done her well.

so fingers crossed
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:43 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2019, 08:30 »
radisson was 2 when she came to Edmonton. she had to fight for the nest.
she had one chick that first year ( 2 eggs) . she nested late. so all is possible
she has never looked  back
so fingers crossed.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2019, 21:52 »
I realize that I'm in denial and most certainly sentimental, but until there's reason to know otherwise, I'm going to believe that Princess is finished raising kids and is still down south, sipping on a martini and that the Challenger is simply another female after the prime real estate. ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2019, 21:27 »
Ella had a much shorter but very vigorous fight with Faith last year and in the end had just 1 of 4 viable eggs. Neither Faith nor Ella had any noticeable injuries or impairments yet having been with Hart for I believe more than a month, Faith who was no shy retiring female lost to Spencer who was not nearly her equal. I wasn't sure if at 2 years Fiona would nest successfully, it's a kind of grey period when they should be able to but don't or do but don't have viable eggs. Fiona is young based on her behaviour - she wasn't really interested in Pip's advances or wasn't responding as though she did. Maybe just a slow start as he has been very attentive. Now I wonder if she does lay eggs will they be viable ... and what will be her (and Pip's) response if they are non-viable.  Heck don't even know when we might have eggs - new pairings often take a bit longer at first.

All we can do is wait and see I guess ....😶

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2019, 17:13 »
please do not think because one bird lost a nest box , it is doomed. this happened to Miss Edmonton twice. She went away and licked her wounds and healed and 2 years later, had her own site. Now if this  was Princess, I realize sh e is older but also wise enough  to know to leave and heal.
years ago in San Jose, Fernando came along and beat out older male. that male was spotted a few weeks later not far from campus  and he stayed there , out of harms way. He also went back to same spot the next year , out o f harms way. He seemed to know his time was up. He was now into retirement.

we had a male DO1 a t WEber, that we watched from  ground. He lost Weber site, but last year we found him at misercordia. He was n o spring chicken.

you do not know for sure who it was, but regardless, I saw 4 really bad fights in Edmonton last year. some appear worse than they are as  they  are on backs a lot with talons locked. WE have seen a few on cams , where people thought there must be one injured or deceased and two of these have turned up at other sites.
So the saying  , no news i s good news is just that. 
when viewing a cam, turn off sound when viewing a fight. Sound makes it  sound worse than it is.
talons crossed.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 16:58 »
yeah!!! was waiting for another at Brandon  :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 16:23 »
Fiona's brother from 2018 has shown up in Brandon and hanging out with Hurricane.   ;D

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,4674.msg106042.html#msg106042

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & ?
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2019, 15:57 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1120404007820898304
Not making any assumptions/conclusions,  given the Challenger flew off, and Fiona reserving her right to the nestbox, what does that mean for both the challenger and Fiona?
After a 46 minute battle, could we expect to see another challenge?
If not, and Fiona is the female in charge, what happens to the Challenger?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2019, 15:47 »
:'( :'( :'(

No news is good new remember .... (fingers crossed knock on wood)

I know, I'm just weepy as it's the end of an era.  I hope, if it was Princess, - that she stays safe where ever she ends up.  She gave us many years of joy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2019, 15:02 »

No news is good new remember .... (fingers crossed knock on wood)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 14:50 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & ?
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 21:04 »
Yes have definitely noticed a much darker bird at the Radisson lately. - Seems like Fiona has made herself at home.  ;)
Is it getting too late to expect a possible return by Princess TPC?  :-\