Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 37508 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2019, 20:33 »
too bad on th e ledge

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2019, 12:22 »
Is there a camera set up where we can watch, I remember Shaw had one but haven't seen it for awhile.  It was on YouTube too.

There is a camera at the Radisson and we are working on the webcam arrangements for this year.  Not sure it will be the Radisson though, in part because the east side cam is much more exposed to the wind, so when we zoom in, even a lighter wind can make the camera shake and that doesn't make for good viewing.  It may be that this year's cam will be Ty and Ella at West Winnipeg or maybe even Spencer and Hart at Logan. 

As for when the cam will be viewable, that will depend on which nestsite we decide to go with and getting the camera streams all tested to make sure they are stable for viewing.  YouTube Live was designed for short events - like a concert or a day long event.  Leaving it running for weeks at a time sometimes gives it headaches.  We can deal with the headaches we would just like to make sure we have as few of them as possible as we know how frustrating it can be for viewers.

More news on the cameras when I've got a few more details sorted out, but since we are still in the egg-laying phase, I suspect y'all have got at least another couple of weeks to wait.  If it all goes smoother than we suspect (based on past experience) then we will certainly launch it sooner.  And yes, we will for sure let folks know when we are going live!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2019, 12:17 »
Up-date required...just sayin  ???

Dennis was up very early this morning as saw a second egg at the Radisson.  Nothing there last night before it got too dark to see on-camera so definitely laid in the dark hours :)  Will be interesting to see how many Fiona lays in total and how many hatch given the ferocity of last week's fight in the nestbox.

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55 »
Is there a camera set up where we can watch, I remember Shaw had one but haven't seen it for awhile.  It was on YouTube too.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32 »
Up-date required...just sayin  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2019, 22:53 »
Still just one egg at the Radisson as of 10pm this evening.  Both Pip and Fiona have been with the egg constantly today so they are already hitting their stride.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 09:55 »
Hopefully we can at least learn if that was Princess who was fighting for her nest - and if she's ok.  :-\ - I think I'd rather she didn't come back at all than think of her as banished from her kingdom  :'( - then as Susha says we can imagine her enjoying a well-earned restful retirement elsewhere.  :-* ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2019, 15:33 »
Sigh, indeed. :-\   After fighting fiercely for the nest box, why did Fiona turn her back and lay on the ledge?  pffft! birdbrain... 

I'm not a fan of the east-side ledge as you all know but I think perhaps Fiona gets some leeway this year.  Young bird, new to Manitoba, first time as a resident female and what all that entails, hellacious (yes, there really is no other way to describe it) fight in the nestbox and first time at the Radisson which is different from being a resident female because there is more activity at the Radisson on a daily basis than other places which she just wouldn't be used to yet - including window-washing and some exterior wall inspections.  We watched Pip sitting on the roof watching everything quietly but this would all be new and probably freaky for Fiona, especially after the fight.  So I'm willing to give her a pass on her choice this year but if she's back next year, her choice of nestsite needs to improve.  ;)

Last year Princess had a mate but an empty nest, and this year looks to be without mate and nest.
I'm wanting to believe this, No news is good news.  Perhaps Princess will now head off to the marsh to hang with juvies who also aren't breeding this year.
Are peregrines hardwired to know how to retire?

Do peregrines know how to retire, well Madame remained in the City for two summers after Princess replaced her at the Radisson.  Burnsie hung out at the St Boniface Basilica for a couple of years too I think.  And though not quite the same, Trey had a very successful career as an ambassador after he was injured on migration and Beau is doing well as a breeding bird.  So are peregrines hardwired to retire, most don't survive long enough to find out.  Can some birds have a retirement, the answer is yes. How many I couldn't say, perhaps more of our birds have over the years retired to a life of marsh-surfing, no way to really know.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14 »
Sigh, indeed. :-\   After fighting fiercely for the nest box, why did Fiona turn her back and lay on the ledge?  pffft! birdbrain...

Last year Princess had a mate but an empty nest, and this year looks to be without mate and nest.
I'm wanting to believe this, No news is good news.  Perhaps Princess will now head off to the marsh to hang with juvies who also aren't breeding this year.

Are peregrines hardwired to know how to retire? 

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42 »
I agree with you, Bally!  Princess has been there every year since I've been following as well.  Seems surreal to have someone else in her territory.  I wish all the best for Fiona of course, but it just seems all wrong for Princess to be ousted.  When you think of it though, who else would fight so hard for this nest site?  :'(

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 06:32 »
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!  :o :-\ - Happy there's an egg....but sad it's not Princess for the first time since I"ve been following........... :'( and of all places, the east ledge! ...sigh.  :-X
Hoping for the best and sure hope Princess is ok - if it was her fighting for her spot - I'd hate to see her go out this way.   :-[ 8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:28 by ballywing »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird