Author Topic: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona  (Read 37494 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
Re: Radisson - 2019 / Pip & Fiona
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2019, 16:06 »
so far it looks like she will be a good mother, dad is not too bad either!  Fingers crossed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2019, 14:34 »
So far Fiona is sticking tight to her eggs and the rain hasn't filled up the low part of the ledge yet, so they have room yet .. if the rain isn't constant, they may pull this off ... well until the next rain which if you believe the forecast is coming right about the time the chicks should be hatching or just hatched.  But its a long-range forecast so that might change ...

Rain has stopped at the Radisson but blowy ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2019, 13:07 »
Yes stupid birds!  :-\ - I thought it was only Princess who had some sort of weird affection for that dang ledge.  ::)
And it is pouring out there - I'm trying not to think about the misery those birds will endure all day trying to keep the eggs dry & warm.  :(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2019, 14:18 »
Fingers and toes crossed!!  ;D
(Stupid Ledge)  :P :-X

(Stupid Birds) too  ;)

Did manage to make it through a 11mm rainfall on the 16th, just can't remember how hard that one came down ... 10-15mm may be okay for them and fortunately it isn't chicks yet ....

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2019, 13:07 »
Fingers and toes crossed!!  ;D
(Stupid Ledge)  :P :-X

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2019, 13:55 »
Hi TPC,

Every year you have names for the chicks, and you come up with some great themes for these names. I was wondering if you would consider names from the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 for this year?

I have been Dupre ... male names are easier, however very few women weren't identified by name so that makes it a bit tricky.  Also, not everyone identified was necessarily identified for "good" (aka legal) reasons.  But I am looking :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2019, 13:50 »
How did Fiona and the eggs fare after the heavy rain yesterday TPC?  ???

Eggs did just fine by all appearances - haven't seen them today, the adults have been keeping them firmly covered as it is very sunny on the east side in the mornings.  Bit cool out there in the shade, so may not seem them this afternoon either, but I will be scouring through the recordings this evening to see.

Adults got very wet and yes, there was a bit of water in the low point at the far end (near end in photos) but the gravel remained drier around the birds than I think it has in the past.  Might be a bit more piled up there or ??  In any case, all look fine.

There was supposed to be close to 100mm of rain forecast for next week but the north winds that brought us these cooler, sunnier days seem to have pushed that weather system out of the area, so while there is still some rain in the next couple of weeks, so long as it doesn't come down in a torrent, the adults should be the only ones getting wet.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2019, 12:09 »
How did Fiona and the eggs fare after the heavy rain yesterday TPC?  ???

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2019, 12:45 »
Hi TPC,

Every year you have names for the chicks, and you come up with some great themes for these names. I was wondering if you would consider names from the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 for this year?

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2019, 20:10 »
Seems that it is nesting season everywhere. Darn that ledge! I suppose peregrines atop hilly peaks would be just as exposed to all the bad weather.  :(

Thanks to everyone and TPC for all the info.

I was at the zoo today to see the stingrays. The traveling exhibit is starting later this month but today was for members only.

Saw the bald eagles sitting on a nest. The nest is tucked into the wall. Between the branches, that make up the protective wall,  are small openings so you can see the birds up close and personal. An amazing experience.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2019, 12:43 »
That is a cheeky bird!