Author Topic: UND Tower - 2019 / Marv & ?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: UND Tower - 2019 / Marv & ?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 13:14 »
A small item from the Grand Forks Herald:

Peregrine falcon chick to be banded Friday below UND water tower

July 23rd 2019 - 4pm.

The single peregrine falcon chick hatched this summer in Grand Forks will be banded at 1 p.m. Friday below the UND water tower next to Starcher Hall, 10 Cornell St., and the public is welcome to attend.

According to Tim Driscoll, a licensed bander and director of the Urban Raptor Research Project, climbers will make the ascent to retrieve the peregrine chick at 1 p.m. and lower it to the ground.

“Once on the ground, we will band the baby, take a few measurements and name it before returning it to the nest box on the water tower,” Driscoll said in an email.

For more information about Friday’s banding event, contact Driscoll at (701) 772-1222.

The photo with this item is from 2018, but the text is dated yesterday.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4031139-Peregrine-falcon-chick-to-be-banded-Friday-below-UND-water-tower

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 16:54 »
Not a second clutch a re-nest. It looked like they were incubating and then they weren't and now it looks like they are incubating again. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 13:28 »
Yes I do - heard from the folks in Grand Forks that Marc and his unbanded mate look to have reheated ... they can't be sure until they see chicks or feeding because there is no camera at the site.

Thank you for the info, TPC. So this may be a second clutch for Marv and his unbanded mate?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 19:37 »
Yes I do - heard from the folks in Grand Forks that Marc and his unbanded mate look to have reheated ... they can't be sure until they see chicks or feeding because there is no camera at the site.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 18:33 »
TPC, do you have any news of the Grand Forks nest? I check frequently, but have not found any updates.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 16:14 »
Now Marilyn the Peregrine has been going back north to the Winnipeg area. And for the second year, she has produced chicks! I guess there was no need for me to worry so about her during the winter.

I did worry. She never writes. She never calls. But I figure she came back north on the Minnesota flyway above Thief River Falls. Then on over Middle River and into Canada. Knowing Marilyn, she wouldn’t be likely to stop until she finds refuge in Manitoba. Last year, it was reported she produced two. This year, it may have been four – although she didn’t send any birth announcements.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/1340135-Marilyn-Hagerty-%E2%80%98Marilyn-the-Peregrine%E2%80%99-makes-her-way-to-Winnipeg

Marilyn the Peregrine doesn't have eggs yet, but we are hopeful she will.  Problem, or reason for delay, is that she and Sundance seem to be checking out other potential nestsite venues.  We know all the sites they have been visiting so we keep checking on them (the sites) and eventually we will find them (the peregrines) have finally made their choice and settled down to get down to business.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 23:41 »
Marilyn Hagerty: ‘Marilyn the Peregrine’ makes her way to Winnipeg

Written By: Marilyn Hagerty | May 21st 2019

Marilyn is back in Winnipeg, and all is well with the world. The news of the peregrine raptor that bears my name comes from Tim Driscoll.

He’s the Grand Forks expert on raptors. And when four were born here three years ago, he named one of them Marilyn. The others were named after local bird expert David Lambeth, the late Olympic athlete Cliff Cushman and heavyweight boxer Muhammad Ali.

Marilyn was among the chicks of Terminator, long time matriarch of Grand Forks.

Now Marilyn the Peregrine has been going back north to the Winnipeg area. And for the second year, she has produced chicks! I guess there was no need for me to worry so about her during the winter.

I did worry. She never writes. She never calls. But I figure she came back north on the Minnesota flyway above Thief River Falls. Then on over Middle River and into Canada. Knowing Marilyn, she wouldn’t be likely to stop until she finds refuge in Manitoba. Last year, it was reported she produced two. This year, it may have been four – although she didn’t send any birth announcements.

She reportedly lives in the outskirts of Winnipeg. She has a mate called Sundance.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/1340135-Marilyn-Hagerty-%E2%80%98Marilyn-the-Peregrine%E2%80%99-makes-her-way-to-Winnipeg

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 18:50 »
Thanks for posting that RCF!  And for those wondering who Fleming is ...

Fleming is the daughter of Faith (from Duluth) and Ty (from the Radisson) - a 2017 wild-hatch from the West Winnipeg nest site.  She had three siblings - Tanner & Finney (males) and Tilley (female)
Ty is brother of Vesper from Princess' and Trey's last nest together in 2010. 

We have been keeping an eye out for her since she left Grand Forks earlier this week, so far we haven't spotted her.  Having said that, who knows, she might be the female that arrived at the West Winnipeg nestsite this afternoon ... or it could be Ella the resident female from last year.  We will have to wait and see about reading her band number - not easy this year, this last winter made a mess of most of our camera lens ... nothing a little careful cleaning won't take care of but we will wait a bit and let the kids settle down after their long trip north.

More south winds Monday through Wednesday according to the last weather report I read, will be interesting to see who else blows into town ...  ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
UND Tower - 2019 / Marv & ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 18:28 »
From FB 
David Lambeth

Like humans, peregrine falcons lead complicated lives. Shown here on the left is a two-year-old female from Winnipeg named Fleming. How do we know that? From the M over 70 band number which allowed my friend Tim to trace her origin. The bird on the right is Marv, who has been the resident male since 2014. He got back on the 16th of March. Fleming showed up on the 17th, but by late afternoon of the 18th, she was gone. In her place was an unbanded female that we think is the same female that nested here last year, in the nest box on the University of North Dakota water tower. It is a pretty safe presumption that unbanded female came back on the 18th, was not happy finding Fleming and sent her on her way to Winnipeg. Now did Marv lure Fleming to the tower? He is not saying. But we have seen this movie before. In 2016, a female from Winnipeg named Bristol showed up the same day as Marv. It looked like a serious romance was developing over the next few days. That lasted until the long-term resident female, named Terminator, was seen on the tower. Suddenly Bristol was gone and a day later she was back in Winnipeg. As I said, it's complicated.

More at the link if you get FB.

https://www.facebook.com/david.lambeth.9/posts/1476717902459839