Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane  (Read 21455 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 13:31 »
 Wingo Starr and Hurricane have been practising quite a bit from what I have been seeing. Hopefully he is mature enough for fertile eggs.  :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 22:33 »
Didn't want to lose this great news on a day already crowded with eggs and returning bird IDs. 
New birds are always fun to report and they are even better when you can include really good photos!
Thanks RCF!!

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1121613288478056449

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 21:36 »
Thank you Alison!  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 21:12 »

Actually only a half-sister of Fiona - he's the offspring of Walsh (Terminator's & Roosevelt's in Grand Fork) and Susan from Bay State Milling in Winona, Minnesota (no info on her parentage immediately available).

Susan was born at the Bay State Milling nest in 2015. She is banded black/red A/50. She is one of five chicks who grew up in the nest that year, and all were strong and healthy at banding. Susan was named for Susan Howe,  whose family owns Great Spirit Bluff.

Her parents are unknown, but not necessarily unbanded. I have tried many times to read bands at that nest, but there is not enough resolution to enhance them enough to be able to read them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 21:09 »
Congratulations Hurricane and RCF!!

Actually only a half-sister of Fiona - he's the offspring of Walsh (Terminator's & Roosevelt's in Grand Fork) and Susan from Bay State Milling in Winona, Minnesota (no info on her parentage immediately available).

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for this pair as well. Wingo isn't yet a year old so it may well be that he is not mature enough to breed successfully - but the again maybe he is! Lots of juvenile markings on him (vertical striping on the breast being the most obvious).  Interestingly (or to me at least) only Alley (2004 Radisson) in Lincoln NE nested in her first year - so too did Holly (2003 Fargo) in Brandon, but we haven't had any males from Manitoba or nesting in Manitoba who did.  If Wingo can pull this off it will be one for our record book at least!! 😁

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 19:31 »
Hope he sticks around, thanks for sharing the photos of him!

I hope so too!  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 19:18 »
Hope he sticks around, thanks for sharing the photos of him! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 17:16 »
great news RCF  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 16:21 »
A male showed up today or yesterday and I would say he is new.  Hurricane was trying to get him to come into the box this afternoon, maybe he will hang around.  :)

Here's some info

He was a male peregrine banded at the Moorhead Malt Plant on 6/26/, about 24 days old at banding and the Moorhead folks named him Wingo Starr.  b/r K/98 

Apparently Fiona (2017) is his sister.  His parents are Walsh and Miracle. Thank you carly!

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,4609.msg105705.html#msg105705

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 17:52 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 14:14 »
fingers crossed Hurricane has a boyfriend (new or old) soon!

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1115675072604385281

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 16:28 »
Whooo Hoo, someone where they are supposed to be!

Don't know if I should hope Sol comes back or keep my fingers crossed for a new boyfriend for her.  Sol's a nice bird but they haven't done well together in terms of chicks.  Neither of their faults.  If Sol goes off and finds himself another lady friend, he'll have had a great teacher which will make it easier for him going forward.  Hurricane has nice chicks so it would be nice to see her doing her thing even if it is with a new boy rather than trying to hatch eggs that just aren't going to hatch.

Tough decision, fortunately, I'm not the chick that is going to be making it  ;)

No, they haven't  done well together, we are hoping for a different male also...shame on us!  Maybe Brooklyn will come back. Wishful thinking!  :-X
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 16:31 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 16:23 »
Whooo Hoo, someone where they are supposed to be!

Don't know if I should hope Sol comes back or keep my fingers crossed for a new boyfriend for her.  Sol's a nice bird but they haven't done well together in terms of chicks.  Neither of their faults.  If Sol goes off and finds himself another lady friend, he'll have had a great teacher which will make it easier for him going forward.  Hurricane has nice chicks so it would be nice to see her doing her thing even if it is with a new boy rather than trying to hatch eggs that just aren't going to hatch.

Tough decision, fortunately, I'm not the chick that is going to be making it  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 16:58 »
Nice shot RCF!

It does look like Hurricane's muddy cheek.

It is Hurricane for sure!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 16:17 »
Nice shot RCF!

It does look like Hurricane's muddy cheek.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 20:07 »
 :D :D ;D