Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane  (Read 21467 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2019, 18:08 »
One of the McKenzie Seeds chicks ran into a bit of trouble on Monday.  RCF had notice that she couldn't see all the chicks but it is hard to see everywhere chicks sit after they start to move around and fledge so it is really more a testament to RCF's familiarity with Hurricane and McKenzie Seeds that she found the other three chicks!!

The chick was picked up by a Good Samaritan barely a block away from the nestsite and delivered to a local vet who happens to work with the province's rehab organizations so the chick was transported to Winnipeg for treatment & rehab. 

The chick, it is thought, has a fracture, but that hasn't been confirmed yet, its a tricky spot and they can be hard to find/confirm on examination and getting an xray on a wild bird isn't as straight forward as taking a selfie ;).  At the moment the bird is doing very well, nice and spunky and is on cage rest (yup, the critter equivalent to bed rest) which is, as I understand it, pretty much, if not exactly the same treatment it would receive if they had been able to confirm the fracture right off.

So it is a wait and see like most recoveries.  The bird is young, healthy and got to care very quickly all of which can only help with its prognosis.

More news as I have it.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2019, 12:35 »
Wonderful photos RCF!

Love how you keep us all updated!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2019, 20:23 »
Gorgeous photos of the family, thank you for sharing.  And looks like Wingo is learning that raising kids will age you  ;D  He is a beautiful falcon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2019, 17:24 »
Oh I do like that at least one chick has managed to jump/glide down to the lower roof!  Now if they will just use the roof and the walls as exercise equipment to build up their strength before they take the big jump .... (fingers crossed)

Well, from what Rose and I saw today the chick was not gliding. It was flapping and gaining height and also turned around to go back the way it came. This bird was doing a lot of flapping the 40 or so minutes we were there watching. One of them was making the perch bar go up and down from all the exercise it was getting from flapping. I just hope it doesn't come loose from the underside of the nest box.

I always hope for gentle glides wherever they are going on their first flights!!! But does indeed sound like this little quartet is ready get out there and cause some chaos  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2019, 17:09 »
Oh I do like that at least one chick has managed to jump/glide down to the lower roof!  Now if they will just use the roof and the walls as exercise equipment to build up their strength before they take the big jump .... (fingers crossed)

Well, from what Rose and I saw today the chick was not gliding. It was flapping and gaining height and also turned around to go back the way it came. This bird was doing a lot of flapping the 40 or so minutes we were there watching. One of them was making the perch bar go up and down from all the exercise it was getting from flapping. I just hope it doesn't come loose from the underside of the nest box.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 14:52 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 13:12 »
The chick found where Wingo perches and started yelling at him. He left!  ;D  Wingo is starting to get more adult feathers.

Two kids on the box.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 13:07 »
One of these four fledged today, not very far though. It lifted off the top of the nest box towards the east, then north above the lower roof. It was flying level with the McKenzie roof turned around and landed down on the lower roof.  A minute later it was on the wall, the other three were watching all of this.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2019, 17:47 »
More like "nail biting" watching these four. :o 

Wow! Look at the wingspan on this chick! 

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2019, 14:49 »
Beautiful pics, RCF!  Must be thrilling to watch these guys!  Thanks for keeping us up to date of their activities.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2019, 00:52 »
Great pictures of your crew RCF. It will soon be much harder to locate them!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2019, 18:38 »
These chicks are about 40 days old and look to be the same size. They were doing a lot of wingersizing while I watched.   :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2019, 19:06 »
Wow!  Only 5 days since the last pics, and they now look so very grown up  :-*

Beautiful pictures, RCF, thank you!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2019, 18:20 »
July 16 2019 6 am

All four in the box this morning.

July 16 2019 4pm

Still four in the box this afternoon.....I can just see the fluffy head of one between two of them, must be laying down.