Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane  (Read 21453 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2019 / Wingo Starr & Hurricane
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2019, 17:43 »
Thank you for the update on Paden, TPC!  Fly high and stay safe little guy!  Thanks to everyone who helped him recover.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2019, 16:33 »
Update on the Brandon chick that crash landed when it fledged ...

First is that "it" is a "he".  A "he" that has been named Paden after the gentleman who rescued him.  I rarely name birds after living people because we have had such tragic luck in the past doing that (knock on wood).  But when the chick was ready to be released, he was most certainly not any of the names I was considering and RCF reminded me of the chick's rescuer and once the chick well and truly stabbed me with a talon, I realized that he did need a more unique name and that he might be able to thwart the kinda-curse we have had going for the last 20 years (knock on wood).  So chick is now Paden.

Paden's recovery was great, all the rehab folks at Wildlife Haven were very pleased with his progress.  We did consider taking him back out to Brandon - Wingo and Hurricane have had not problems with their little brood this year but we were concerned that after a month plus away, he wouldn't get the support he'd need - not that they would necessarily neglect him but we couldn't be sure if Wingo and Hurricane were still in the feeding/training frame of mind given that the rest of their offspring appear to be pretty independent as well.  Imagine sending your kids off to college and then having a toddler running around the house. 

So the folks at Wildlife Haven got him flying and made sure he was eating properly (including live prey) and we arranged for him to be hack released at a location where we could give him the option for some additional support (food) if he wanted it.  He was kept and feed at the hack location for 4 days to get oriented and then he was released.  He took off like a shot which isn't unusual and he was flying great.  Question is if he will come back over the next couple of weeks for some food or if he has decided he wants to make a clean break from us and do what young peregrines are hardwired to do at this age - fly, hunt, eat, sleep, and repeat.  We know he has the basics worked out, he's in good health and condition and we have got the best safety net we can provide for in place if he wants/needs it.

Unless he returns for a nosh, it is unlikely that we will hear anything of Paden for the next year.  And no news is good news.  Unless it is RCF reporting he's turned up at McKenzie Seeds!

I would be very surprised if he turned up here!  :o  I did see one chick and Hurricane this afternoon.   ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2019, 01:00 »
Update on the Brandon chick that crash landed when it fledged ...

First is that "it" is a "he".  A "he" that has been named Paden after the gentleman who rescued him.  I rarely name birds after living people because we have had such tragic luck in the past doing that (knock on wood).  But when the chick was ready to be released, he was most certainly not any of the names I was considering and RCF reminded me of the chick's rescuer and once the chick well and truly stabbed me with a talon, I realized that he did need a more unique name and that he might be able to thwart the kinda-curse we have had going for the last 20 years (knock on wood).  So chick is now Paden.

Paden's recovery was great, all the rehab folks at Wildlife Haven were very pleased with his progress.  We did consider taking him back out to Brandon - Wingo and Hurricane have had not problems with their little brood this year but we were concerned that after a month plus away, he wouldn't get the support he'd need - not that they would necessarily neglect him but we couldn't be sure if Wingo and Hurricane were still in the feeding/training frame of mind given that the rest of their offspring appear to be pretty independent as well.  Imagine sending your kids off to college and then having a toddler running around the house. 

So the folks at Wildlife Haven got him flying and made sure he was eating properly (including live prey) and we arranged for him to be hack released at a location where we could give him the option for some additional support (food) if he wanted it.  He was kept and feed at the hack location for 4 days to get oriented and then he was released.  He took off like a shot which isn't unusual and he was flying great.  Question is if he will come back over the next couple of weeks for some food or if he has decided he wants to make a clean break from us and do what young peregrines are hardwired to do at this age - fly, hunt, eat, sleep, and repeat.  We know he has the basics worked out, he's in good health and condition and we have got the best safety net we can provide for in place if he wants/needs it.

Unless he returns for a nosh, it is unlikely that we will hear anything of Paden for the next year.  And no news is good news.  Unless it is RCF reporting he's turned up at McKenzie Seeds!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 20:30 »
  :) Your photos never cease to amaze me, RCF. I was beginning to think all had migrated and our countdown clock had begun. These photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.Your patience has paid off and again you have captured the fledglings in a way for me/us to place ourselves in Brandon, eyes upward. Do you place your photos on Flicker or another site where I can view from time to time?  :)

No, I'm sorry I do not, GCG.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2019, 18:31 »
Oh I do like that Wingo's and Hurricane's kids are back for a visit ... not sure if that is a prelude for leaving for good or not, but nice to see the family all back in one place.  Or most of the family at least!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2019, 12:44 »
Beautiful photos once again RCF. Thank you for keeping us updated and so pleased that you could show us all of them.  :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2019, 06:37 »
  :) Your photos never cease to amaze me, RCF. I was beginning to think all had migrated and our countdown clock had begun. These photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.Your patience has paid off and again you have captured the fledglings in a way for me/us to place ourselves in Brandon, eyes upward. Do you place your photos on Flicker or another site where I can view from time to time?  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2019, 17:49 »
After seeing only one chick for a least a week , all three were there this afternoon.  ;D  A lot of flying around by three of them this afternoon, Mom and Dad were perched. A bit of a dreary day here, not a bright day for pictures.

Wingo

Hurricane

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2019, 13:45 »
Wingo from the other day...looking more adult than juvenile.  :)

Wow.  I really hope he's back next year, it will be able to interesting to see if he keeps those speckles.  None of our other males have speckles that high or a breast that dark coloured. One should never wish time away faster than it is already moving, so we'll just look forward to seeing what happens next spring ...  ;D

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2019, 17:40 »
Thanks for the pictures and updates!  Wonderful to see a successful nest for Brandon!  It’s so interesting how sometimes the chicks stick around in the area and other times they are gone as soon as they fledge.  It’s amazing all three are sticking around.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36 »
Thank you for the photos and updates! Beautiful!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2019, 23:00 »
McKenzie Seeds is the place to be!!!  I’ve stopped searching upward as I travel through downtown Wpg.  Been a long while since I’ve seen a peregrine.  Once again thanks for sharing😀

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2019, 18:53 »
Wingo from the other day...looking more adult than juvenile.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2019, 18:51 »
Tracy let me know the chick that was rescued is doing well.  :-* I imagine she will come on here and post about it.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2019, 18:48 »
Everyone was home this afternoon, three chicks and mom and dad.  :-*

Wingo Starr

Hurricane

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 21:02 by RCF »