Author Topic: Logan - 2019 / Hart & Spencer  (Read 18970 times)

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
Re: Logan - 2019 / Hart & Spencer
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 11:14 »
Great information about the transmitter.  I have been watching the lone chick on YouTube, glad we have close up TV this year!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 20:15 »
I was watching the cam and one of the adults had their back to the camera, it looks like a transmitter.  what kind of info do you collect from it and how do you put it on?

The backpack was custom fitted so that the teflon straps slide without chafing where there are no feathers and where it won't interfere with any of the bird's movement.  Spencer's transmitter was attached the year she hatched - so 6 years ago in 2013.  The data collected was purely geographical - where she went basically.  It was part of a PhD research project.  Last year her transmitter stopped working just before she settled down with Hart, so now it is purely an accessory until such time as the straps give way due to time.  The other way is if she were injured and rescued, at which time we would take the transmitter off her.  We prefer to let her live her life without getting injured however.  Makes it easier to tell her from her mate ... or any other peregrine in town for that matter.

Offline Monarch

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2019, 16:40 »
I was watching the cam and one of the adults had their back to the camera, it looks like a transmitter.  what kind of info do you collect from it and how do you put it on?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 15:31 »
;D I agree that he/she will be a force to be reckoned with. Growing by leaps and bounds. Butt scoots and faceplants galore. I'm guessing female. Will need an appropriate name to reflect her size and stamina. Something Amazonian perhaps.  ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2019, 15:11 »
 ;D I agree that he/she will be a force to be reckoned with. Growing by leaps and bounds. I'm guessing female. Will need an appropriate name to reflect her size and stamina. Something Amazonian perhaps.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 19:55 »
Hart I think is too conditioned by Joli - his previous mate for those who are new here.  Joli was very good at "telling" him what she wanted and when. He didn't always listen but mostly.  Spencer doesn't really ask him for anything when it comes to the chicks - she seems to wait for him, and he waits for her, or at least with the chicks. When she left the eggs he turned up, same with the chick(s). Last year when the chicks got older and more vocal he seemed to respond with more food. Will be interesting to see if the same thing happens this year or in the future.  His instincts are spot-on though when he does get involved.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 14:15 »
have been away so , I was sorry to hear about her other chicks. but that i s the challenge a lot of new moms have.  a lot of itmes , the male steps i and saves the day.  but this is nature, an d she is learning, and next year will be better for her. so now to enjoy this chick. It will be special.

we could have had thishappen at MIs last year, but our male, came in and fed kids till she got the hang o f it, and he was aways there to top up. so far she has 3 chicks and is doing well.

each falcon, each  nest is different.
 :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 12:59 »
LOL! Shortly after the A.M. feeding, this little one did what little ones do after a meal....."poop shoot!"